Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Chirp Help

Reviews Summary for Chirp
Chirp Reviews: 35 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $free
Description: CHIRP is a FREE cross-platform, cross-radio programming
tool. It works on Windows and Linux (and MacOSX with a
little work). It supports a growing list of radios across
several manufacturers and allows transferring of memory
contents between them.
More info: http://chirp.danplanet.com/

You can write your own review of the Chirp.

VE7VJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2017 21:22 Send this review to a friend
works  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using CHIRP for about two years now. Works just fine once you get the correct cable and spend some time learning the program. Certainly easier than key punching everything in.

Does it have some quirks? well yes, everything has quirks and it could always have a few more features but as it is free I cannot complain. I certainly appreciate all the work the developers are putting into it.

If you are having problems check out the documentation on the webpage, read through the FAQ, join the mailing group or ask around.

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2017 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Works for me, even on oddball radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
One thing we all need to remember, Chirp is free!

I've had great success in turning some cheap Chinese radios from almost useless bricks into usable communications devices. In my case, both Baofeng UV 5R and QYT 8900D software wouldn't work on my cheap Windows 10 laptop. Chirp helped me program and better understand the memory functions and radio specific features. It provides useful/helpful defaults when the radio did not.

As a retired IT professional, I can't help but comment that if you insist on using a somewhat non-mainstream product like Apple OS/X, you may encounter some hurdles that Windows people don't. I've managed Mac/Windows comparability labs so I can say without emotion, it just happens.

Hard off to the people at Chirp.

W9OD Rating: 0/5 Apr 1, 2017 16:56 Send this review to a friend
POS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I didn't look to review this product. First, I purchased a Chinese made HT. It was very difficult to program. I read Chirp was an easy way to do the job. I have to admit, programming that radio was a lot less painful then using Chirp which NEVER worked. I use a MacBook Pro. Going back to the big three for HTs.

KO4AB Rating: 0/5 Apr 1, 2017 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Pure Frustration  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am attempting to use the OS X version of Chirp to program an ICOM ID880H with a BlueMax49ers FTDI USB serial cable. I can program a limited number of memories without a reset of the radio. When I do get the radio to program then the repeater offset is WRONG. 1.44MHz instead of 600KHz on 2 meters. A very frustrating experience.

WB0KWJ Rating: 2/5 Dec 15, 2016 03:42 Send this review to a friend
Useful for some, disaster for others  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using Chirp to program various radios for several years. Perfectly in some cases, disastrously in others.

Having done this kind of work, I fully understand the issue involved in figuring out obscure data protocols and programming quirks, and appreciate the huge effort behind the product. I am also not insensitive to the fact that Chirp is used on thousands of combinations of computers and operating systems, through serial and USB drivers of varying levels of functionality.

However, this does not change the fact that Chirp is a fundamentally unreliable product, with poor communication with users about known issues--including bugs that will do things such as erase the radio's memories despite correct setup and implementation. That is, just because your radio is in the menu does not mean you can use Chirp with it.

If the program works for your radio, then great. But, Chirp is very definitely a use-at-your-own risk option.

W9MT Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2016 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Good shareware effort  Time owned: more than 12 months
For programming frequency channel sets into my Baofeng and TYT handhelds, Chirp works fine. To get the extra conifguration and personalization stuff configured in these radios often takes a "second round" of programmimg with the more cryptic manufacturer's software.

That's not Chirp's fault. It does the frequency info programming better than anything else out there...(but here's the rub) FOR THE LIST OF RADIOS IT SUPPORTS.

I have owned the popular Yaesu FT-2600M for years. It's a wonderful, bulletproof 2m FM radio. I bought ADMS-2E from Yaesu long ago to program it. The deficiencies of this floppy based software are well documented elsewhere here on eHam. Add the fact that computers and OS's have evolved greatly since Y2K (e.g.: going from 32 bit to 64), and it's hard to find an old computer that's still compatible with this old code.

The complaints others have documented with cabling are really a Windows datacomm setup issue or a counterfeit USB communications chip issue, and not Chirp induced problems.

Since Chirp can program many of its sibling radios, including the FT-90R whose disk is also included in the ADMS-2E kit, it would be a simple job to adjust Chirp for the data packet size of the '2600.

Multiple tickets have been opened with the Chirp people requesting this. All have been rejected...some with hostility.

I wish they would reconsider. There are a lot of '2600M's still out there in faithful daily service. That's why 4 stars for what is truly a 5 star program.

I also really don't care to spend another $45 with RT for updated software to get their CD and proprietary USB cable ONLY for my '2600's rare reprogramming needs. Chirp has blazed a "better path". I'd pay them the $45 instead !!!

WB4M Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2016 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used CHIRP to program the memories in my FT-817ND and it worked just fine. You must use the correct cable and com ports or things just aren't going to happen.
Although CHIRP works perfectly well with the FT-817ND, I prefer the memory management section in FT-817 Commander by Simon Brown, the former author of Ham Radio Deluxe.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2016 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Collabarative Effort  Time owned: more than 12 months
There have been bumps along the way but CHIRP has remained the most versatile and inclusive programming environment available. I have used it to keep seventeen different radio brands/models programmed to our ARES frequencies with great success. It has NEVER harmed any radio that I have programmed with it. And, it is free.

KT4WO Rating: 0/5 Oct 14, 2016 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Over 1 year later  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well...Last review was about 1.5 years ago. Tried
the latest vers. with FT-857D and a few of my HT's.

More of the same. (corrupt memory's, changed settings,etc.....)

This software gives "Free and Open Source" a bad name.

I am glad it works well for "some", but this is the last try for me.

PS-Don't give me that crap about cables and drivers, read my last review for my answer to that.

G6IYD Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2016 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Very useful software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have assorted Baofeng radios, plus Yeasu. No real problems at all with programming memories etc. Had minor problems with my Yaesu FT-8900, but this was largely due to my not inputting the right cloning sequence. It does take a little getting used to, but once you understand how it works it is a breeze to use. There is a lot of online help with this software, and the site by John Miklor will also help with any issues using Chirp with Chinese made radios. I would have given it a 5, but although listed, I have been unable to get it to work with my Icom IC-T70E.