Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Chirp Help

Reviews Summary for Chirp
Chirp Reviews: 35 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $free
Description: CHIRP is a FREE cross-platform, cross-radio programming
tool. It works on Windows and Linux (and MacOSX with a
little work). It supports a growing list of radios across
several manufacturers and allows transferring of memory
contents between them.
More info: http://chirp.danplanet.com/

You can write your own review of the Chirp.

N1API Rating: 0/5 Jan 25, 2016 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Destroyed my 857-D!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been having some memory issues with my Yaesu 857-D. I reloaded the memories again using the CHIRP software. The more I re-uploaded the memories the worst the problem got. The memories seemed to upload but as I rotated the select knob all the memories showed as 7.000 LSB. There were even some new memory channels that I've never seen before they were not numbers but a combination of Alpha-numeric characters.

After an email from Yaesu Tech support I was told that Yaesu does not recommend the use of CHIRP "because we have experience corrupted CPUs in some of our radios that have used that software."
This is an exact quote from Yaesu Tech support.

Unfortunately I now have an expensive repair to look forward to! Others need to be aware of this.

KI6WDZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2015 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Intuitive and it works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I hadn't used my VX-7R in the past 5-7 years and had forgotten pretty much everything about it. Having recently moved to Utah, I decided to try and program in the local repeaters and was quickly overcome with what a tedious experience it was to do manually. Having used Commander in the past, I downloaded a new copy, dug out my old TTL2USB cable and hooked it up. After several tries, I couldn't get a good file set in either direction. I went looking on the web for alternatives and read about Chirp. I'm delighted to say that it worked the first time. I've only spent a few minutes playing with it, but have successfully input my new stations, organized the memories (somewhat) and have the radio working again for me. It's not a "pretty" program with lots of color, but it does the job pretty darn well. I'm sure it has capabilities I've not yet discovered, but it's allowed me to get my radio back on the air. Two thumbs up from this happy user.

AE5YJ Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2015 10:57 Send this review to a friend
works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find CHIRP to be extremely versatile. Not everything works all the time, but I have not run into a radio that I have expected to work with it and had any issues. Authors/devteam are upfront about it's limitations.

It can be a clunky interface at times, but it becomes second nature after awhile. If I have not used it in a couple months, it doesn't take me that long to get back into the swing of operation. The data queries are also very helpful.

I appreciate this piece of software and it gives even more value to the chicom radios. If one craps out, just upload your template to a new radio and you are back in business. I highly recommend CHIRP to anyone who asks.

KA1VF Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2015 09:55 Send this review to a friend
CHIRP gets my vote  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only been CHIRPing since 05/02/15, but after
working 34 years in the Computer Industry, I can
recognize good code when I use it, and CHIRP is
definitely good code.

AC7CW Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2015 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Updated review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I erroneously said CHIRP will not program all the misc wouxun settings, it does them all. I couldn't be happier with this software.

K2WO Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2015 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Great on Mac (Yoemite)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I run Chirp on my Mac (Yosemite) and it works great. The only way to program my Baofeng handhelds, the IC-7000 and others. Great software.

N5EVD Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2015 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Great on Linux !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Running the Chirp daily build on Linux Mint Xfce 17.1. Running Linux for awhile, I found the Python setup easy. Chirp is an excellent program for setting up frequencies, CTCSS and all the oth/UHF er perimeters for supported radios. My 1.25 meter capable Baofeng UV-82X and Yaesu VHF/UHF radios are supported, the toughest part are solid data cables.

WV9K Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2015 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Great bit of kit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Found this when I got my FT-817 and it worked flawlessly. Ditto for my UV-5R and now my TH-9800.

TH-9800 is not fully implemented yet, but good enough for what I want out of it at this time.

These folks do this gratis and deserve all the kudos and support possible :-)! These folks are not a huge faceless corporation nor are they getting paid for this.

I really don't understand those folks who can't seem to make it work, after you get the cable issues resolved under your operating system of choice it just works. May not do everything for your particular rig, but it does quite well enough for my gear.

One always has the option to send those folks a rig to work with, it helps.

KA2DDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2015 17:19 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
so far have programmed 6 baofeng ht's - win xp and win7 .....no issues....easy to use

KK7SS Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2015 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Works just fine with WinXp, Win7, Linux  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First... licensed since 1964!!
Works just fine with my Baofeng UV0-5R+ Version 3.
The vendor supplied a cable using the Prolific chip!! *IF* you do some checking on the web, there is info to NOT use the Microsoft supplied driver. Uninstall it and install Prolific Version 3.2.0.0. NOT the newer one.
This solved my unable to connect problem.
Also check out http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/FAQ it has a lot of useful info. You can also submit any issues you might encounter.
The Vendor supplied program was useless!!!