Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Lightning Bolt Quads Help

Reviews Summary for Lightning Bolt Quads
Lightning Bolt Quads Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: NOTE: I AM MIKE DUDDY FORMALLY LIGHTNING BOLT ANTENNAS. WE ARE NO LONGER IN BUSINESS. WE ARE OUT OF BUSINESS AND WE DO NOT WISH TO SELL THE BUSINESS OR THE NAME. WE HAVE REMOVED OUR WEB PAGE. THANK YOU.

You can write your own review of the Lightning Bolt Quads.

KC5YED Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2007 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well like the other this is an after the fact remark. I bought my antenna from a friend who never assembled it before he had to move to FL. There are four LB 5 band two element quads in the area here in MT. We all love them to death and they all preform better than most antennas in the area as well. Up until the fall of 2006 I had absolutely no issues with the quad and it has served me very well. Even with Mike and Connie out of business I called him on the telephone and he helped me out by answering some questions for me. This past fall I lost the eight foot boom that was broadside to the wind. Winds were predicticted to be over 80 MPH. A quick run to the local recyclers I bought another boom and shimmed for fit. The aluminum welding wire for the elements survived all this until this past weekend. My first wire broke in the wind. It was the 20 meter driver wire, which by the way still works well even broken. I may replace the wires in the spring with copperweld but I've got time to think about it. This antenna was definatley the best bang for the buck. Three winters and a whole lot of wind and it keeps on ticking even after taking a licking. I hope Mike and Connie will fire the business back up some day. Good luck you two in everything you may do.

Todd
AE7V

WY3X Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2006 20:18 Send this review to a friend
This is the ticket...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had heard a rumor that they were going out of business. I guess the top of this page confirms it- it's a crying shame!

I compare the gain and F/B to a HyGain TH6DX that I had for years and years. But the LB 5 band 2 element quad is MUCH lighter, and looks imminently more impressive than the Yagi. Zero problems with ice loading here in South Carolina. It handles everything I can throw at it, and like a Timex watch, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. -KR4WM

K4WS Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2006 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Sad day!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have modified my 4 element 5band LB and the 6 element 6 meters on the same boom to seperate feeds. I have reviewed several times after making
changes that I felt were better for the antenna's
performance for someone critical of having it at
its best. I use an Ameritron remote switch to feed the 5 coax 3/4 wave matching jumpers purchased from Cubex to feed each loop seperately.

I never ever said anything bad about Mike and Connie or their antennas. I am saddened to hear of their leaving the business. I am not a big
lover of quads, but my experience with the people
who sell them like Mike and Connie, and Norm, those that I have actually talked to, was great!

I certainly wish Mike and Connie the best, and
I hope that Cubex and the other people can help
with supplies to replace LB's parts as they break, such as spreaders, etc.

A sad day for amateur radio and antenna lovers.
Farewell Lightning Bolt. You deserve a 5 from me
but it is too late! Wayland k4ws (For you newcomers wanting a quad, Norm at Cubex is also
super to work with and essentially the 2 element 5 band quads are so similar that nothing would be lost by buying Cubex. There are others I am
not well versed in that I am sure are good.)

N1WCL Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2005 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Good Potable 2M antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my "custom" made antenna from Lighting Bolt Antennas. It's the 2M and 70cm single element model. The antenna gives my 817 about a 3-4 S unit gain over a Maldol AH-510R on 2 M FM. I have it mounted on a 4 foot long piece of tubing that slips over a light weight camera tripod. Makes for a good light weight antenna that has some gain and is directional. Total weight of antenna tubing and tripod is probably about 5 pounds. I keep it in the back of my truck and It can be set up in a minute!

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2005 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Need a switch if multiband  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 4 el 2m and 8 el 70cm. Both done well and priced well.

They are mounted in between a Cubex 2el 5B quad. Based on other reviewes, this quad may be more rugged but is heavier than a similar LB quad.

Following the last review, I initially had a common feed for all. The performance was poor on 10-12 and BW was narrow on 20m. An owner of the LB quad wrote me about simulations that showed that a common feed resulted in high takeoff-angles on 10-12 and narrow BW on 20m. After adding separate feeds, the performance on 10-12 improved dramatically. After replacing the recommended 50 Ohm cable with 75 on 20m and tuning the reflector a bit down, SWR is 2.0 on 14.0, and 1.5 or below after 14.05.

Perhaps the best way to feed and tune the quad is given in the ARRL Handbook. Use capacitors to adjust reflectors. This is particularly important for 12m, where there is interaction with the 10m element. Feed by gamma match so that an optimum match can be selected.

K4WS Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2005 20:06 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 4 element 6 band 20-6 meter LB. I owned the 2 elemeent 5 band a few years ago. It
is okay but not as sharp as a good yagi on directivity.

I have a question for those with the 4 element 5
bander. Did you experience some swr problems on
15 meters and at the low ends of 20 and 10?

My antenna seems to be off resonance and I cut the wire pefectly per the data sheet. I noticed this years ago on the 2 element but was livable
on all bands. I have talked to Mike and he is super, but has anyone else experienced this problem, and who is feeding the driven elements
seperately with a remote coax switch and did you
notice a remarked improvement in directivity?
If so give me your specs on the stubs to each
element. If you have your finished antenna wire
lengths for each band/element please let me know
what you came up with. I am about to try to prune
mine if the wx hold up. Thanks. There is not a better helper in the business than Mike and Connie.

NT9M Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2004 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Survived a fall  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My 12 element UHF quad survived a fall from a 50 foot tower during a severe storm. The wire elements were badly bent but the spreaders and boom both survived. I reshaped the wires by hand and initially had some SWR problems. Called Mike at LB who offered some suggestions. I ended up disassembling the antenna completely, resoldering the N connector to the driven element. SWR tested fine on the ground at this point, but when placed back on the tower it has gone up again. I attribute this to the feedline and not the antenna. With just 25 watts output I still managed to make 17 QSOs during a recent UHF sprint. My longest QSO has been from NE IN to Alabama. I'm happy enough with this antenna to consider one of the LB quads for HF when the time comes.

KG4ZMC Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2004 16:26 Send this review to a friend
After a Year gone By  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the antenna at 50' on the tower, just slightly above my other lightingBolt Quad antenna.
I can work and here repeaters that I did not know was there before. Antenna has survied 2 servere Huricane like storms and still plays like a champ. I seldom need more than 10 watts to talk local simplex out to about 40-45 miles.
The antenna has a sharp pattern and deep nulls from side to back. Would definatly by another one if I needed a small boom beam with good gain. Check out the pic under my call here at Eham. 73's Dale KG4ZMC

WB0NPM Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2004 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Ditto  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 10 element 2 meter (vertically polorized) and the 2 element 5 band with the 6 meter addon. I added a 3rd element to the 6 meter and all work outstandingly(is that a word?). The 20 meter loop even loads on 40 with a low vswr. Not to good of a performer but an easy qsy for the locals. I can work into Europe easily and I have very close hills to the east of me.

F5RRS Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2004 16:56 Send this review to a friend
2m 10 Element = BIG GUN  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 2m 10 el QUAD is really a big gun. You just need a "light" rotator to support it.
Signals are really strong and very often OM are surprised when I describe my equipment.
Most of European VHF DX'er use Yagi's and some of them has changed their opinion about Quad's.