Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RemoteShack Help

Reviews Summary for RemoteShack
RemoteShack Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $500
Description: Remote xcvr control using only a cell phone
More info: http://Www.remoteshack.com

You can write your own review of the RemoteShack.

KJ6MOG Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2012 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Product   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my RemoteShack a few months back and WOW what a great addition. Anytime I need to get on the air I just call my phone at home and within seconds I’m monitoring my favorite frequency. Just press ‘1’ to transmit and “0” gets you back to receive. Enter frequencies, scanning, setting filters. It has it all. The unit is a solid design with attention to the details during remote operation. I have received may complements on my signal quality on transmit and when using a headset for rreceive, it’s like I am kicking back in front of the radio. It works great with my iphone on AT&T and my Droid work phone on Verizon. At first I had my concerns about connecting it up, but the RemoteShack comes with everything you need and in minutes I was on the air! I’m not kidding. Minutes! I took me a short time to learn the DTMF commands, but soon I was a pro at getting the unit to do whatever I needed. I have used the RemoteShack for long qso’s on HF and VHF when away from my rig and this product just works over and over again. I would recommend product to anyone wanting to remote control their station.

K4YMB Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2012 13:48 Send this review to a friend
I am happy with the RBS 212  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My name is “Cactus”, K4YMB, I have been a Ham since 1958. I have built many remote systems for commercial broadcast, Ham repeaters and the list goes on and on. Many of my systems used DTMF formats. The Remoteshack.com base controller ( RBS-212 ) is by far the best thought out and functional unit of its kind I have ever had the pleasure working with. I purchased my 212 at the Huntsville, Alabama HamFest last week and once I got back home I had the unit working with NO problems in about 30 minutes. I tried it on my Kenwood TS 2000 and also on one of my 1996 radios, a TS 870.. The little girl in the 212 tells me just what I need to know… on or off, frequency, linear on or off, mode and there are dozens more of controllable functions right at your finger tips. And I might add; she is fast to react.. You can go from transmit to receive almost as fast as you can using PTT. Once in the transmit mode, just hit 1 to transmit and 0 to receive.. It is just that simple. One of the many well thought out features is the “WATCH-DOG” or maybe I should say “WATCH- GIRL”… If for any reason you lose control VIA of your Cell Phone, she will shut ALL controlled equipment off in either 1.5 or 3 minutes. (the WATCH-GIRL time is controllable by you ) . This is a very good safe guard feature. If you do not respond to her in 3 minutes she will say is a sweet little voice, “ are you still there”???? If you are there, just hits the star key and she will say,” OK”… if not, the whole system will shut down in 30 seconds. But the RBS 212 will stay alive and will be up for you to try to reestablish your control.

I use a dedicated Magic-Jack Plus for my control phone line. It seems to work very well. One thing I have noticed with one of my Cell phones ( LG-221C ) and that is it has NOISE CANCELLING and the back ground noise on the receiver mutes the darn phone receiver. When there is voice, it is okay, but weak signals don’t make it through.. My other cell phones work very well thou… If anyone knows of a way to TURN OFF the noise cancelling on this phone; please email me. k4ymb@HiWaay.net ….

Just playing around, I have had several of my ham friends over the southeast call my Magic-Jack Plus number and use the system.. They all can make it work very well and I might add, the transmit audio is excellent …

The bottom line is I am very happy with my RBS-212 ….

I can just see it now… A country song played on WSM entitled, “ I fell in love with the little girl in my RBS 212” !!!!

With that, very good 73s

“Cactus” k4ymb@HiWaay.net

WA3QCV Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2012 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Setup!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a Great setup. I use mine on 75 and 40 meters when I'm on the road Camping in my motorhome and late nights on the way home from work. I use it with a Icom 706 MKIIG setup just for use with the Remote Shack.

Give it a Try!

73 Tim WA3QCV

N9ZU Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2012 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Super Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been looking for something simple and effective as the RemoteShack to link me back to my home station when I travel. The product is extremely easy to install and use. The DTMF menus are well designed and you will have them memorized before you know it. I use my RemoteShack with my backup rig (Yaesu FT-450AT) and it works flawlessly. The remote turn on/off feature is great as the radio does not need to stay on 24 hrs. Also, it's great to know the customer service behind this product is top notch. John is very focused on making sure every client is 100% satisfied. Make you sure you speak with him prior to ordering as he has many suggestions on how the product can be used.

AA4EE Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 07:14 Send this review to a friend
a fabulous device!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
we go to our summer home each year in Rochester, NY. Because of layout of the condo in NY, and the noise in the receiver, operation from NY is all but useless. I purchased the RBC-212 for use at home QTH in FT. Lauderdale, with Kenwood 480. I have been using the unit for one month- and it works perfectly! I chat with friend on 40 at 7AM, then switch to 20 at 8! The hookup is simple, and the operation easier! (and for dummies like me, if I screw up- which does not happen too often- the system does reset). that feature alone is a lifesaver- I will not return to Florida for months! It works- and I am back on the air!
bob, aa4ee

WD8CJN Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Very well disigned.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am running the RMC on my Icom IC7000. I also purchased the RMC 212 relay. My Droid 2 handles the operation well. I am able to turn on my Tokyo Hi-Power remotely when I need additional output or operate the 7000 with the 100 watts available.
I have used it extensively and as long as I have cell connection I am able to operate. I also operate a Ten Tec Omni VII remote via the my laptop and the internet however, I no longer have to depend on good internet service to get on the air when traveling. Great addition.
To augment the audio I have a pair of Radio Shack amplified stereo speakers that are powered by either the D-cells or a wall wart. This makes the listening experience much easier.
Am now just waiting for the addition of additional AUX positions. Unlimited possibilities.

WB9PNU Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2012 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Esay Install, Awesome Results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The RemoteShack RBC-212 interface is real fun.
Installed and on the air in about 10 minutes.
Audio reports are great, some of my friends did not even know I was operating remote. They had a clue after they heard the "beep" when I went from TX back to RX. They are all amazed when I told the I was on a telephone. I have mine connected to an Icom 9100, but also used it with my Icom 7700. With the 9100 I am remote QRV from 160 meters thru 1296MHz.....just amazing.
No computers, software, WiFi, internet, not even a smart phone is required. I now have most of the important functions memorized...supplied cheat sheet good for rarely used funtions.
What are you waiting for, get one and start having fun! John told me that they have a booth at the Dayton Hamfest 2012, and will have some new accesories for the RBC-212.
73, John

KD4NUE Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2012 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Easy and Stable Remote Platform  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I got the RBC-212 for a Kenwood TS-2000, to allow me to monitor nets I had been missing while doing other things.

It was an easy initial setup for Skype, but I didn't really have the patience to fine tune the tug-of-war with Windows 7, the automatic selection of audio connections, and Skype going brain-dead while I was listening and not talking. I kept getting a notice my microphone was very quiet, which usually resulted in Skype locking up and a hands-on reset. I don't see this to be a fault with the RBC-212, as it perfornmed flawlessly; when it was being fed a signal in the Audio In and Audio Out connections.

It setup easy with Magic Jack, and gave great results on Transmit and receive as long as my ISP was able to keep the Magic Jack packets moving (Which is not a fault of the RemoteSHack interface)..

I ended up putting it on a shared line with a FAX machine, where it would always be accessible without Computer Intervention. I am still having a little battle with the FAX machine trying to connect after inputting the Passcode, but it times out fairy quickly.

The Interface has performed much better than the available transport layers.

Hard-Wired Telco has been the best.

MagicJack next, only because my ISP is unable to maintain throughput to the customers it has aquired while taking over Bellsouth. If I had Cable service, it may be different..

Skype should be a usable alternative, but it has made so many changes to be a more intuitive applicatiohn that it's use has become counter intuitive to operate. I should be able to uniunstall and find an older version that is more suitable for this use. Again, I started by saying it was a lack of patience on my part.

All In All, I can find very little that I don't like about the RBC-212. The only real complaint is that you hear the Zero Tone when you send the command to unkey the Mic. I cannot provide an easy solution, as any filtering or muting of any of the command tones would prevent proper operation.

I hope to see the menu options expanded to the 7,8,9 and 0 Menus.

That is a lot of un-tapped potentipal that assures room to grow in the future. Hopefully, there may be provisions for firmware upgrade in the future.

Of all the gadgets I have bought through out the ages that seem too good to be true, this comes the closest to meeting that claim. It simply does everything it claims to do, and is a stable platform for remote rig control and operation.

I think Ham Radio has a real winner here. It gives tremendous potential for utilizing your gear while not being pinned down to it's primary location.

WD5RP Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2012 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Easy Remote Base!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use my RBC-212 with my TS2000. I am using the Magic Jack Plus on my DSL router for a phone line. Set up was literally 20 minutes including the Magic Jack. After some fine tuning with the levels it works beyond my expectations. The simple one and two digit DTMF tone control entries are intuitive, and the provided shirt pocket sized laminated cheat sheet is making my learning curve move along well.
My friends say my audio is good on transmit, and I have enjoyed using the remote to monitor nets I would otherwise miss when I travel.
The RBC-212 is one more fun thing my iPhone does now with Echolink, OpenAPRS, SatPC, etc. If you try the RBC-212 you will love it.

K8JK Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2012 18:40 Send this review to a friend
This product is really fun to use!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My work requires a fair amount of travel, sometimes with very little notice. Additionally, I already need to lug several bags of equipment, in addition to normal travel luggage. Even on trips within driving range, I am required to select a rental car. I found myself simply abandoning any radio operation that couldn't be accomplished with a UHF or VHF HT...until now. The Remoteshack appliance lets me use MY rig from just about anywhere.

I set up my box with my trusty Icom 7000. Installation was a snap, and it took me about 5 minutes to get everything adjusted. Sadly, it took me a little longer to get the hang of the menus; I think I just needed to see the operation up close and personal. I sat in front of the rig, with dummy loads attached, to help me get the feel of everything.

I purchased the optional CP1 Cordless Phone interface, which allowed me to do a couple of interesting things. When I am home, I can use the CP1 to interface the RBC-212 to my cordless phone...I can be on the radio from any room of the house, or the back yard!

We even experimented with attaching the RBC-212 to a local repeater's autopatch port by way of the CP1...this gave us an almost instant remote base.

I still haven't explored all the RBC-212 can do....rotate beams, etc. Looking forward to using the box even more!

While in my personal opinion, the hardcore DX chaser may not find this style of remote operation able to keep up with their demands, for most casual operators, I think this is a great remote solution. (Although I haven't figured out how to send CW with it yet!)

Stop reading reviews and just order one!

Jim WB8AZP