Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RemoteShack Help

Reviews Summary for RemoteShack
RemoteShack Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $500
Description: Remote xcvr control using only a cell phone

You can write your own review of the RemoteShack.

W5ZZT Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2013 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Now working for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have written reviews for the remoteshack before and was less than satisfied. I am glad to report that with the great customer service provided by John at remoteshack I am finally able to enjoy the system.

The key to the system is to understand what it will and will not do. Most importantly you need to understand that a direct cell call may not always work due to the way some networks handle the normal static of a HF signal. In the city I live I can use the system from a normal cell call with no issues. I can also do this a couple hundred miles from my home city. Some cell signals outside that area use some kind of DSP processing taking out all the static including weak signals. When this happens the connection cannot be effectively used.

Late last year John suggested using Skype so having unlimited data on my plan I gave it a try. While it worked some of the time the throughput could not keep up and the audio was lost. I set the unit aside and didn't use it until I received another from John a couple of months later. I could not believe he continued to work on a solution for my issue. His latest suggestion was to use the FREE magicjack app that is available for my iphone and also for android phones. It does use your data plan so be careful if you do not have an unlimited plan as I do with Sprint. This solution worked great!

So now, in most cases, I can make a regular cell call and it works perfectly with my iphone. If I have a problem anywhere with the DSP issue I use the magicjack app and it works just as good. I now regularly use the system and I must say the software is flawless! Sure there are new things I would like to see but it works just fine as it's implemented.

I rated the product a 4 because some of you may not have unlimited data on your cell phone. In my case I could have given it a 5 as I always have a way to make it work but I chose a 4 rating overall.

I have tried several solutions to a remote base installation and don't think you will find a better system around. Just understand the limitations, as I now do, and you should be happy.

I use it with my TS-2000 and it even turns the radio power on and off. I have had many QSO's with great audio reports.

N8BI Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2012 22:56 Send this review to a friend
A Great Product and Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased RemoteShack at Dayton 2011 but unfortunately a lightening strike took out the Radio I was planning to use. Over a year later I obtained another transceiver not on the approved list. I called John for Technical Support who without hesitation worked me through the changes as though I had just purchased RemoteShack. The result, using a second phone number in my Shack with Skype on my Laptop and iPhone 5 I have operated my station remotely while cruising in the South Atantic, driving around downtown, or at the office. Being able to use 5 over 5 on 20 and other large antennas mobile or portable is a treat! Adds a new dimension. I look forward to future RemoteShack products and John's great customer support!
W9PMZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2012 02:40 Send this review to a friend
Getting Rid of the car HF antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is just too much effor to have a monsterously large HF antenna on the car. And with winter approaching the car needs to be garaged here in the midwest.

Enter RemoteShack.

I ordered the RemoteShack on Thanksgiving via eBay and I received it the following Tuesday. It was a real pleasure that all of the cables were made, except the remote relay connection.

Installation on the IC-706MKIIG was pretty straight forward. I initially conneceted to a Magic Jack. There maybe an issue with the Magic Jack and the ring pulse width, but adding a phone in parallel to the line corrected the problem.

"Enter your passcode" and the radio and the Remote Shack were up and running. A command cheat sheet is included.

It was even easier to install the lines for interfacing to Skype. So now I have two options to connect to my rig at home, via a traditional land line or via a PC and Skype.

I initally connected a DC relay got out of the junk box to implement a relay to turn on and off the DC power to the rig and to the antenna tuner. I have since purchased a DC solid state relay from eBay. Delivery on the SSR was from China and came pretty quick. The SSR relay draws less control current and no kerchuck when the relay engages.

I now can use the rig while on the road or at work with little effort.

I cannot wait to try the new mic product that will be shortly available.

p.s. - The custormer support is fantastic! Very responsive and at a level one can understad to rapidly resolve issues.
KJ6MOG Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2012 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Product   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my RemoteShack a few months back and WOW what a great addition. Anytime I need to get on the air I just call my phone at home and within seconds I’m monitoring my favorite frequency. Just press ‘1’ to transmit and “0” gets you back to receive. Enter frequencies, scanning, setting filters. It has it all. The unit is a solid design with attention to the details during remote operation. I have received may complements on my signal quality on transmit and when using a headset for rreceive, it’s like I am kicking back in front of the radio. It works great with my iphone on AT&T and my Droid work phone on Verizon. At first I had my concerns about connecting it up, but the RemoteShack comes with everything you need and in minutes I was on the air! I’m not kidding. Minutes! I took me a short time to learn the DTMF commands, but soon I was a pro at getting the unit to do whatever I needed. I have used the RemoteShack for long qso’s on HF and VHF when away from my rig and this product just works over and over again. I would recommend product to anyone wanting to remote control their station.
K4YMB Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2012 13:48 Send this review to a friend
I am happy with the RBS 212  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My name is “Cactus”, K4YMB, I have been a Ham since 1958. I have built many remote systems for commercial broadcast, Ham repeaters and the list goes on and on. Many of my systems used DTMF formats. The base controller ( RBS-212 ) is by far the best thought out and functional unit of its kind I have ever had the pleasure working with. I purchased my 212 at the Huntsville, Alabama HamFest last week and once I got back home I had the unit working with NO problems in about 30 minutes. I tried it on my Kenwood TS 2000 and also on one of my 1996 radios, a TS 870.. The little girl in the 212 tells me just what I need to know… on or off, frequency, linear on or off, mode and there are dozens more of controllable functions right at your finger tips. And I might add; she is fast to react.. You can go from transmit to receive almost as fast as you can using PTT. Once in the transmit mode, just hit 1 to transmit and 0 to receive.. It is just that simple. One of the many well thought out features is the “WATCH-DOG” or maybe I should say “WATCH- GIRL”… If for any reason you lose control VIA of your Cell Phone, she will shut ALL controlled equipment off in either 1.5 or 3 minutes. (the WATCH-GIRL time is controllable by you ) . This is a very good safe guard feature. If you do not respond to her in 3 minutes she will say is a sweet little voice, “ are you still there”???? If you are there, just hits the star key and she will say,” OK”… if not, the whole system will shut down in 30 seconds. But the RBS 212 will stay alive and will be up for you to try to reestablish your control.

I use a dedicated Magic-Jack Plus for my control phone line. It seems to work very well. One thing I have noticed with one of my Cell phones ( LG-221C ) and that is it has NOISE CANCELLING and the back ground noise on the receiver mutes the darn phone receiver. When there is voice, it is okay, but weak signals don’t make it through.. My other cell phones work very well thou… If anyone knows of a way to TURN OFF the noise cancelling on this phone; please email me. ….

Just playing around, I have had several of my ham friends over the southeast call my Magic-Jack Plus number and use the system.. They all can make it work very well and I might add, the transmit audio is excellent …

The bottom line is I am very happy with my RBS-212 ….

I can just see it now… A country song played on WSM entitled, “ I fell in love with the little girl in my RBS 212” !!!!

With that, very good 73s

WA3QCV Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2012 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Setup!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a Great setup. I use mine on 75 and 40 meters when I'm on the road Camping in my motorhome and late nights on the way home from work. I use it with a Icom 706 MKIIG setup just for use with the Remote Shack.

Give it a Try!

73 Tim WA3QCV
N9ZU Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2012 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Super Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been looking for something simple and effective as the RemoteShack to link me back to my home station when I travel. The product is extremely easy to install and use. The DTMF menus are well designed and you will have them memorized before you know it. I use my RemoteShack with my backup rig (Yaesu FT-450AT) and it works flawlessly. The remote turn on/off feature is great as the radio does not need to stay on 24 hrs. Also, it's great to know the customer service behind this product is top notch. John is very focused on making sure every client is 100% satisfied. Make you sure you speak with him prior to ordering as he has many suggestions on how the product can be used.
AA4EE Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 07:14 Send this review to a friend
a fabulous device!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
we go to our summer home each year in Rochester, NY. Because of layout of the condo in NY, and the noise in the receiver, operation from NY is all but useless. I purchased the RBC-212 for use at home QTH in FT. Lauderdale, with Kenwood 480. I have been using the unit for one month- and it works perfectly! I chat with friend on 40 at 7AM, then switch to 20 at 8! The hookup is simple, and the operation easier! (and for dummies like me, if I screw up- which does not happen too often- the system does reset). that feature alone is a lifesaver- I will not return to Florida for months! It works- and I am back on the air!
bob, aa4ee

WD8CJN Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Very well disigned.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am running the RMC on my Icom IC7000. I also purchased the RMC 212 relay. My Droid 2 handles the operation well. I am able to turn on my Tokyo Hi-Power remotely when I need additional output or operate the 7000 with the 100 watts available.
I have used it extensively and as long as I have cell connection I am able to operate. I also operate a Ten Tec Omni VII remote via the my laptop and the internet however, I no longer have to depend on good internet service to get on the air when traveling. Great addition.
To augment the audio I have a pair of Radio Shack amplified stereo speakers that are powered by either the D-cells or a wall wart. This makes the listening experience much easier.
Am now just waiting for the addition of additional AUX positions. Unlimited possibilities.
WB9PNU Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2012 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Esay Install, Awesome Results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The RemoteShack RBC-212 interface is real fun.
Installed and on the air in about 10 minutes.
Audio reports are great, some of my friends did not even know I was operating remote. They had a clue after they heard the "beep" when I went from TX back to RX. They are all amazed when I told the I was on a telephone. I have mine connected to an Icom 9100, but also used it with my Icom 7700. With the 9100 I am remote QRV from 160 meters thru 1296MHz.....just amazing.
No computers, software, WiFi, internet, not even a smart phone is required. I now have most of the important functions memorized...supplied cheat sheet good for rarely used funtions.
What are you waiting for, get one and start having fun! John told me that they have a booth at the Dayton Hamfest 2012, and will have some new accesories for the RBC-212.
73, John