Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | US Tower HDX Series Towers Help

Reviews Summary for US Tower HDX Series Towers
Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Crankup tower

You can write your own review of the US Tower HDX Series Towers.

N3XF Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2014 10:37 Send this review to a friend
HDX72MDPL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just installed a US Tower HDX72MDPL at a new mountain QTH. If you plan on doing it yourself, it can be done but be sure you have the equipment to handle the weight. I had the base poured professionally and they installed the rebar cage and base. If this part is not done properly, you WILL have problems. We used a skid loader with forks to unload and mount the tower on the base. I attached the heavy duty raising fixture to the base and the tower cranks up and down to work on antennas. US Tower's engineering is excellent. When cranking the tower into position, there is about 1/32 clearance all around and when vertical, the base bolts go right in. This doesn't happen by accident. The quality control is just great. I have had aluminum towers (Heights) in the past and they did their job. This QTH is on a mountain top with lots of ice and wind (Laurel Mountain, PA). The US Tower will handle the elements up there with ease. See the KX8D web site. He has excellent pictures of his tower installation of the same tower.

KQ0C Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2012 08:05 Send this review to a friend
KQ0C  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
US Tower built me a custom ultra heavy duty version of the 72 footer for use on the summit of a mountain in western Colorado. Everything works perfectly and this tower, on its 27 cubic yard base, will be there for the next 100 years. Not a single complaint about the level of craft or engineering. I only hope to last as long at the tower. Do it right and you only have to do it once.

W0ZT Rating: 4/5 Nov 10, 2011 17:12 Send this review to a friend
HDX-689 - Good product, customer service lacking  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these towers and they have performed reasonably well until recently. As anyone who owns a motorized crankup tower knows, they require regular inspection, service, and often replacement parts.

Luckily, I have had a few minor issues that I was able to resolve until the drive belts for the motorized raising mechanism failed. I gave US Tower the model number and they sent replacement belts for a cost of $36.99 each plus freight. After dissembling the pulley guards, it was obvious that they sent the wrong belts. I found a Dayton (Grainger) part number on the belt that I removed and obtained two properly sized replacement belts from Grainger for less than $10 each. I promptly returned the wrong sized belts to US Tower and asked for a refund. After nearly 4 months of waiting, several phone calls and emails to different employees, I finally received a refund minus a restocking fee.

To my surprise, U S Tower charged me a 15% restocking fee for the wrong sized belts that they sent by mistake.

FYI, if you own a US Tower and have access to a Grainer account, you may want to look there first before ordering parts from U S Tower.

W5RDW Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2007 11:58 Send this review to a friend
UST HDX-555 Heavy Duty 55 ft. Crank Up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered my first crank up tower after having a self supporting and tilt over towers over the past 35 years. I wanted no guy wires, but have a tower that could handle high wind speeds in our thunderstorm prone area of the US. I am not going to put on much more than 10-12 sq. ft. of antenna, but want a sizeable margin of error in the max. wind speed this tower will provide. UST delivers the base first so you can have the concrete fully cured before the tower arrives. I was fortunate in that the weather held for over 6 weeks with no rain so that I dug the hole, ordered the rebar and got it inspected, pour the concrete before the rains came. We beat that by a few weeks, so things went well. Really, there were no problems during the entire process. We did go overboard and oversize the hole somewhat (not by plan, but by inexperience in using a backhoe for the first time). And, there was no way we were going to dig any of this by hand,. The dirt in many places here in NTX is called black gumbo, so it is a tough job by hand. We easily picked up the tower off the semi truck trailer with a rented fork lift (a Bobcat with forks) and easily put it on the base. We even used the Bobcat to push the tower vertical once it was bolted to the base. I have since bought the raising fixture (a little pricy), but figured I would raise the tower more than once. I have a used CL-33 ready to go up with a new Yaesu rotator, so as soon as the strong north winds die down, up the antenna will go.

NJ3A Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2007 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Heavy duty and tilt over, support for your antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to say I was the luckiest ham. I managed to sit next to another ham on the bus back to the parking lot at Dayton 2 years ago... Turns out he lived only a few miles from me and had this tower along with rotor and antenna sitting in a closed box trailer. We negotiated a price for the works and I was off and running...well as we all know...it took the better part of a year till the tower was installed. Another local ham dug the 5'x5'x6' hole for the free standing support. I used 1"x36" anchor bolts and the specified rebar cage to meet my local town inspectors approval. US Towers has the appropriate engineering plans to submit to the inspection company and this was helpful. I included a plot plan showing the planned tower location to the building inspector so I could get a permit (no problems here either).

Now to the tower. My neighbor and another club member both have the HDX-555 versions of this crank up tower. After seeing theirs, getting this one was a very easy choice. When they say HEAVY DUTY, they mean it. The lattice work and welds are all exceptional. The HDX-538 has two sections and fully nested it's 21 feet long. The HDX-555 use 3 sections. It uses a manual winch with 5/16" cable and pulleys to easily raise or lower the assembly, including rotor and antenna. The tubing and cables are all well manufactured. It is not a light tower by any sense...(600+lbs) As a free standing tower it must be strong and well engineered...what you end up with is a tower that does not have guys you'll eventually run into when mowing the lawn.

My antenna is a M2 KT-36XA (6 ele 10-15-20), with 32' boom. Relatively large antenna, but right at home on this tower. I use the HDR300 rotor for this antenna size and this tower has a removable structural lattice side panel to access the rotor assembly. It also has a super strong thrust bearing and coax standoffs (options)...but recommended. I was really lucky as this package also had the tower lifting device (TRX-80 Raising Fixture). It made installation and erection of this tower a one man (and tractor) process. I was able to move the tower to it's base after the 6 yards of 3000psi concrete cured for the appropriate time...28 days to full cure...

If you are looking for a strong, easy to erect free standing crank up tower...this is it. If you're interested, email me and I can send you a PowerPoint presentation on my tower and antenna project.

Overall...this is an exceptional tower.