Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Youkits HB-1B QRP CW Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Youkits HB-1B QRP CW Transceiver
Youkits HB-1B QRP CW Transceiver Reviews: 42 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $299
Description: Youkits HB-1B 4 Band QRP CW Transceiver
More info: http://www.youkits.com/

You can write your own review of the Youkits HB-1B QRP CW Transceiver.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2016 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Fun. Fun. Fun!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own the HB-1B and the newer version that covers 15 meters. I've owned many QRP rigs like the KX3, K1, K2, FT-817. This little rig is an amazing value for the money. I cleared my desk of my QRO rig and used one of these for a week as my only rig. I made numerous contacts including DX using a crummy low doublet. I can't say enough about this rig. Super low power consumption, good keying and a very usable receiver. This little guy is a keeper and a blast to use. You won't be disappointed.

WA5ZKP Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2016 12:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own both the HB-1B Mk II and the HB-1b Mk III QRP xcvrs. Unbelievable amount of fun in these radios and so much smaller than my HW-8, has a better receiver (IMHO) than my Ten Tec Rebel 506, and doesn't drift as much and is easier to tune than my MFJ9015. I am a QRP fan and could go on and on about why I like these radios but will just mention what I think are key pros and cons:

PROS:
DDS frequency entry and backlit digital display

Frequency is stable from the moment the radio is powered up

Continuously adjustable bandwidth filter that works well

RIT

Internal keyer - although I use a straight key in the field

The newer Msrk III has a SWR indicator and does 15 meters

Internal batteries eliminate extra stuff to carry.

Solidly built

Cons:
The audio section is weak when the filter is cranked down.

The manual leaves much to be desired but there is plenty of good info available on line

If you wish to switch from the internal keyer to paddles or vice vers you must power cycle the radio (like Ten Tec )

This is a great little radio for the QRP nut and I highly recommend it!

Terry, WA5ZKP

N6PG Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2016 21:26 Send this review to a friend
An amazing little QRP rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the HB1B when Ten-Tec was the distributor. I got bit by the QRP bug and I've built a few and I've also bought the KX3. I thought I'd never use the HB1B, so I sold it.

I was wrong! I missed the radio. It's a nice little rig when you don't want to travel with a $1,500 radio. I like the multi band setup and there have been some improvements to the new radio.

It's now sold by Vibroplex. The radio has also incorporated an SWR meter. This is great as I don't want to also pack a tuner and analyzer

I'm traveling a lot, and this with the palm paddle, the Alexloop or Buddistick is a great way to travel.
Enjoy!

N5LON Rating: 0/5 Feb 19, 2016 23:44 Send this review to a friend
Piece of junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, Got my HB-1B today and I gotta send it back. It’s an HB-1B MK2 and I ordered (and wanted) and HB-1B MK3 (which is all Vibroplex shows on their website). They sent me a used/broken/returned model. It’s stone deaf, no sound out of the headphone jack, the memories were all already set (another indication that it was a return) and when I called and ordered it, they said “you’ll have to take the back off and connect the lithium battery pack because they ship disconnected” but mine came with it already hooked up (another indication it was a “return”). That really makes me mad. Spend $300 and get ripped off by a big company like Vibroplex. I sent them an email and told them I need instructions for returning it for a refund or a new MK3. Now I wish I’d bought the MFJ-9200.

N2WZP Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2015 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Just a whole lot of fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thought I'd chime in on this. I've done a lot of home brewing and really deiced that I wanted something with a VFO and several band capability in a compact package for SOTA and other portable ops. Having a limited budget (Or let's face it I'd have a KX3 already) I read every single review on the Youkits and other Chinese made xcvrs I could find. I finally found a used HB1B that was too good of a price to pass on. The first thing I noticed when I unboxed was it was even smaller than I thought it was. Right out of the box, I hooked it up tuned around a little bit and called CQ. Later that day with a mildly annoyed wife and a logbook full of QSO's I can share a few of my takeaways...

1. Get the optional internal battery....It is AWESOME. With a full charge this thing will run until I am sick of operating and then some. Charges back up quickly as well.

2. Internal keyer...not the best but definitely useable. no external speed control and only a recordable CQ with the lame PSE at the end. I use an external anyway but again...for a cheap rig not HAVING to lug an external into the field is helpful no matter how limited it's features.

3. Output power...My test equipment is admittedly poor, but from all of my readings on several meters/methods with a full charge I get closer to 8w output. I know it's a no no for true QRP purists, but what the heck.

4. Receiver...I have to say, this thing is pretty amazing. Sensitivity is as good or better than a lot of full power hf rigs I've used and the IF filter with really narrow things down to the 400hz range. Just a really great sounding receiver for CW.

All in all I really think you'd be hard pressed to do better for the money. It is fun as anything to work guys on this little rig and I find myself noodling with this rather than my main rig most nights now. QRP is a blast and even more fun when the rig fits easily in a pack for portable operation.

K5JYD Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2015 06:46 Send this review to a friend
fine qrp rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had several qrp rigs and this is the best so far. With an enclosed battery and my palm pilot miniature paddle attached to it with magnets its the most compact radio I've ever used. I use an end fed par electronic 20m wire and don't need a tuner. If I want to just play around I use a random length home brew end fed with the miniature ten tec auto tuner and can work 20/30/40 etc. Its just a fun rig.
k5jyd

W9UCR Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2015 03:12 Send this review to a friend
Lots of Bang for Your $$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is actually my 3rd HB-1B. The first two were purchased through Ten Tec who was, at that time (about 6 months ago), the distributor for these little rigs. Both failed within a couple of days. I decided to wait for awhile and see if their QC (Quality Control) improved and when they announced a new distributor (Vibroplex) and a new model (the 'Mark 3') I decided to give it another try. I guess three times is the charm because this little rig is everything I was hoping for.

To begin, I've been a ham since 1952 so this is not my first rodeo and I truly appreciate good quality radios. My main rig is a Yaesu FT-950 with Ameritron AL-811 and I operate almost exclusively CW. We also live in a hurricane zone and the threat of extended periods without power is real, so I needed something to use when the power company is putting their infrastructure back together from a storm. This little guys is perfect for my needs.

For openers, it has all the convenience features one would expect from a more expensive rig (KX-3?) The new Mark 3 covers 5 bands (40, 30, 20, 17 and 15 meters.) It has a built-in keyer, variable bandwidth i.f. DSP, LCD readout to two kHz decimal places (e.g., 7040.00 kHz), RIT, SWR meter and lots more.

Obviously, the build quality is not nearly as good as Elecraft's but for the money it is an amazing bargain. The keying can be set for full QSK or adjusted to various time delays if that is your preference. That's important to me as I am active in CW nets.

Performance-wise I can not find any faults with the radio. The frequency is rock solid with no noticeable drifting from a cold start. As far as I can tell it is as stable as my Yaesu. The ALC is not as good as I would like and there is a noticeable pumping effect on strong signals, but there is an attenuater built in which solves that problem.

Since I've only had this rig for a short time, I can't speak to its reliability, so I'll post another report in a few months.

To summarize, read the title of this review! 73

Bob W9UCR

K9NZ Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2015 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine in the flea market at Dayton last weekend for a $100 bucks best money for fun ratio
ever. I have work 17 countries on 20 meters and a lot states on 40 meters. Works great the filters
are good and receiver is very good. I have owned a few qrp rigs this by far the best I have used.
K9NZ

VE1YY Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2014 16:56 Send this review to a friend
FB XCVR  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the Mark 2 version released in Canada Spring 2014. This rig is marketed by others (such as TenTec) and elsewhere on the globe.

As a neophyte QRP operator, after decades of QRO operating, and being accustomed to good receivers, I was pleased from the outset with the HB1B Mark 2. Receiving is good: the bandpass filter actually works, the tuning is smooth, and the tuning resolution is a boon! The RF signal output reportedly is clean and looks so when I sample it on the base shack’s Icom Pro III and on an outboard 'scope. Contacts, using a wire thrown up into trees, with a radiator height of about 3 meters, were between 1000 and 1200 km away and 559 or more.

AD4XJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2014 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Afforable Fun! Super portable!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my HB-1B in the mail today. Ordered directly from YouKits on ebay, shipped from China in about a week (express).

First impression was, "Wow! This thing is small and light!". My unit came with the Li-Ion battery pack and charger. I am also using an external LiFe 4200 mah battery which I plan on taking with me on SOTA activations.

First contact out of the box was with a station in Argentina over 5100 miles away on 30 meters!

Some hints that I figured out:

1.) Open up the case, inside there is a battery holder for AA's as well as rubber feet to put on the bottom of the case.

2.) The new units are full QSK but you have to turn on the setting--there are some older online manuals out there but youkits has the current manual in pdf form which shows you how to do this (a couple of button pushes).

3.) If you use the included Li-Ion battery, do yourself a favor and take off the metal label (it's some kind of foil so it's a conductor).

4.) If you use a straight key, it has to be plugged in before turning the radio on--also the outer and middle conductors of the plug have to be wired together (Note: My other radio only uses the inner and outer conductor, and as I didn't have another plug laying around, I figured out that I just had to jumper the middle and outer conductors when turning the unit on--afterwards I pulled the wire and the straight key continued to work fine.)

5.) You don't have to disconnect the internal battery when using an external battery or power supply. If an external battery is plugged in, the internal battery is not in the circuit. As soon as you unplug the external power connection, the internal battery immediately takes over.

I tested the unit at 13V and found it output 5W on 80, 40, and 30M and 4W on 20M (spec says 4-5W.

The DDS works great...listed to it on my other radio and didn't detect any drift. The filtering works great and the attenuator is perfect for stronger signal/noisy bands.

Is this a super expensive, commercial type rig? No.

Is it a fun, small, affordable, and well featured QRP rig? You betcha!

I can't wait to take this on the trail with me!