Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Youkits HB-1B QRP CW Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Youkits HB-1B QRP CW Transceiver
Youkits HB-1B QRP CW Transceiver Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $299
Description: Youkits HB-1B 4 Band QRP CW Transceiver
More info: http://www.youkits.com/

You can write your own review of the Youkits HB-1B QRP CW Transceiver.

DL1AIW Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2012 04:11 Send this review to a friend
TOP for QRP and mobile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've bought this nice little transceiver some months ago and it developed into my no1 qrp rig within a few hours. As always it is useless to compare it with rigs of several times the price but I don't think that one get more for the money in the field of qrp exept building a transceiver at home.

It is working from 80 m to 20 m on CW with an internal keyer, but as far as reception is concerned it can be used also with SSB or AM (not the best sound-quality of course). The variable IF-Filter is of enormous use and with bigger antennas the ATT is not the last thing to think about!

During the last months I had about 200 QSOs with it, all of them portable or maritime mobile from my sailing ship. The antennas I've used were verticals up to 10 m hight and the buddipole. Though DX is a little bit more rare than with a QRO-stn I managed to work all continents exept Antarctica.

Only 5 W don't require a QRO-tuner. I use the tuners from QRP-Project (kits for building at home), either the Fuchs circuit for the vertial half wave or the ZM-4 for the rest.

All together this equipment is lightweight with a very limited volume, so it will also be used for my upcoming SOTA-activities.

WX4O Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2012 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent QRP Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great small box QRP Xcvr! Four bands in a relatively small box that's already assembled is well worth the price. I haven't tried the SOTA tuner yet. I bought a ZM2 ATU which works very well. I recommend this radio.

IK1WGZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 23:20 Send this review to a friend
I like it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased directly from Mr. Yimin in China, took 2 days to arrive in Italy! Nothing to add to other review, just want to say that it is a COOL rig, outperform many costly trx!

KB8BWE Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2012 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Hot RX !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my HB-1B from TenTec at Dayton '12. (with the internal Li-Ion pack) Built a Hendricks SOTA End-Fed Half-wave tuner, with 26 AWG wire from the Wireman. On 20M the first night I worked 10 stations, including Nova Scotia (From my QTH in Cincinnati). What a blast! I soon cut another wire for 30M, and right off the bat worked HC2AC in Ecuador. The battery was down to 11V and that's 2840 miles for 3W !! Not too shabby for a battery powered rig, and a nearly invisible antenna.
Ordering an AlexLoop for it, to take to my Florida Condo. Should continue to bring a big smile to my face. /QRP takes a bit more patience, but it's not as tough as I thought to work most stations you can hear.

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2012 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Gotta shout it out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not trying to beat a dead horse here.
This rig is a very live horse.
Am I a paid shill for Ten-Tec? Uh, nope

The continuous variable filter continues to impress;
it isolates the guy I'm trying to hear real well.

The rig has once again taught me the big difference
between 5 watts out versus 1 to 2 watts out.: more QSOs

Let me recommend the End-Fed SOTA antenna for this
rig. I use a 12 ft length of RG 174 to the little tuner box.
After pruning, SWR 1.2 to 1 in CW portion of 15 meters (with my other QRP rigs)
On 20 meters , 1.5 to 1. Counterpoise? Of course.
Don't know about 40 meters yet.
The SOTA isn't meant for 80 meters.

My ball-park estimate for Li-ion pack charging time:
about 2 hours. I'm well aware of the caveats about
overcharging.

M0CFM Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2012 04:21 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If your thinking of buying one of these fantastic radio's you have done your homework and have read the reviews!
I started out as a UK Novice, 3 Watts max power so therefore know what can be worked with the power this radio produces!
Receiver seems real hot, the internal keyer fantastic and the overall size brilliant! Optional internal battery lasts well too, What more can you ask?
If I was being picky I would like to see variable power and a bit of protection over the display but that's all!
A brilliant radio!
We done Youkits!

M0JHA Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2012 02:54 Send this review to a friend
bang on   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the HB1A a while back and regretted selling it so i got the HB1B . I like /p and usually use the 817 and although a great rig i wanted something less current hungry and this looks to be a good comprimise..

I worked stations from the word go straight out the box to my 40m dipole with good reports . The IF filter works a dream also and the RX on mine is RED HOT .Yes there are a few niggles for me but this is still a great value radio . the lack of a vswr indicator is my biggest gripe and with that the case there really isn't much i can say bad about this little radio .. it has fun written all over it .

The palm mini paddle looks like it was made for this rig and sits on the side perfectly . I made an end fed tuner with built in vswr indicator for mine and a set of 2300mAh 12.6v li-ion batteries.. i have just ordered a small swr meter so i can use the rig whilst in my van and hook it up to the mobile multibander .. like i say the swr indicator is an important bit of gear for me personally but i'm thinking of buying an indicator from Hendrix and fit this inside the radio as i won't be using internal batteries so there is spare space inside ..

I have not had this rig turned off in the shack it's that much fun using it ..if your into your qrp and maybe some /p work then personally i think for the money your going to be hard pressed to get anything that's going to be as much fun to use . every now and then we come across gear that has keeper written all over it , this is one of my keepers for sure ..

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2012 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Still a gem at 1 month  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio may stop me from searching e-bay for more qrp stuff; it seems to be an ideal transceiver for a simple minded operator like me.

Likes: 1- more audio output than the HB1a.
It will drive a small speaker in a
quiet room.
2- Once again, the continuously variable
CW filter is really effective.
3- The Li-ion 3 battery pack arrived
today from Ten-Tec; it functions well.

My only problem is that the battery pack doesn't
provide a comfortable fit inside the radio.
I really don't mind the small gap created in the shell when I screw the top back on.
But I've noted from other reviews that heat from the battery pack may eventually cause a problem
due to this tight fit.

I realize that YouKits products are still a bit of a work- in- progress at this date. I'm quite happy with what they have done so far.

ON6KE Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2012 05:03 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't have but praise for this tiny transceiver.
I LOVE its features, its lightweight, the near full break-in, the digital display, the continuous IF (didn't expect it was to be THAT good), the internal keyer.

It's a FUN rig that in the few weeks that I own it produced very nice QSO.
I'm not going anywhere on vacation without this cute little rig in my bag !!

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2012 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Got a good one here  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I rolled the dice, again, after a rather good experience with the earlier 2 band model. With that one I worked a handful of Europeans from a campground north of the Matterhorn last July. Antenna was an end-fed dipole.

The new little 4 band arrived last week and it's another remarkable radio. It has all the nice features of the 2 band radio and is smaller.

But the sweetener this time is the new adjustable IF filter.
There's no doubt that this simple addition takes CW reception
to the next level for me.

Negatives? The VFO knob still has a loosy-goosey feel to it
but I'll live with it. The internal battery hook-up adds a bit of unwelcome surprise but I'll give that some more thought later.

I must give credit to Ten-Tec for their attention to quuality control over a Chinese product that may have disappointed owners that placed orders elsewhere.