Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ V57T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ V57T
Alinco DJ V57T Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$139.95
Description: Dual Band VHF/UHF HT
More info: http://www.alinco.com

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ V57T.

AL4V Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2014 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Superb Solid HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The DJ-V57/17/27 and 47 are an excellent family of radios. Read all the 5 and 4 star reports for more. The family of DJ-V*7 radios are also the easiest to mod for full extended transmit. Remove the battery, remove the two screws and plastic cover. Inside you will see a lone blue wire. Cut the wire and re-assemble. Do a full reset and now you will have full RX/TX operation.
Will
AL4V

AE7NM Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2014 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Additions to what has been said  Time owned: more than 12 months
I want to add to what has been said.
I have two of these radios. I stash them in various places for spares and emergencies.

First, the DJ-V57T now comes with the 1600 mAh battery and the drop in charger, at least from HRO. That should help with many concerns. The charger's wall-mount power supply can not be used to run the radio like the adapter that used to come with the radio does. Well, you can't have everything.

One of the great features of these radios is that the dry cell battery pack holds 6 cells. Because of that, the transmit power on alkaline cells is the same as on the lithium or Ni-cad batteries. This is not true for most tranceivers. Alkaline cells will last longer than the biggest Li battery pack. That makes them great for emergencies, when you might not have the means to recharge the batteries. The dry cell pack is not water resistant, however.

Finally, I like the intuitive user interface. The quick store feature that writes the current set up to the first avilable memory is really cool.

KD5FLN Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2014 17:15 Send this review to a friend
So far I'm liking it!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First impression upon opening the box was that it was well packed and that the radio itself feels solid and well made. The outer shell is of a polycarbonate, water-resistant design and I really like how the clam shell style battery latches on the bottom. The latch is attached to the main body of the radio and latches to the underside of the battery housing locking it in place & ensuring a watertight seal. The wrist strap is secured by the belt clip which is screwed onto the back of the battery and comes in handy to help prevent a devestating accidental death drop... The belt clip itself is kinda thin but I've had no issues with it after wearing it around my shorts while going out for my walks...
The radio measures 2.28"w x 4.33"h x 1.34"d and I have no way of weighing it however it has a nice "feel" to it, not too light and not heavy enough to pull down my shorts when clipped on my belt... The overall build quaility & feel to it is comparable to my Yeasu FT50R I used to have. The ink printing above the keys on the front could have been a little bit better but at least its not on the buttons where they can rub off. When standing the radio on the table, it stays there, no more wobbling off or accidentally knocking it over if you bump the antenna. And I like the fact that it has an illuminated display and keyboard which stays on for about 5 seconds before turning off automatically by pressing the Function switch and Moni...

This has to be one of the most easiest radios to program. Everything is logically laid out on the keyboard with the Function switch on the left side instead of the front. Without even looking at the included instruction manual I had programed my local repeater and had my first contact.
In order to use a speaker mic you have to use Alinco's EDS-10 interface cable which is a very well made piece. On top of the DJ-V57 there is a large screw that can be loosened by thumb and there you screw the interface cable until it fits flush with the rubber dust boot. There is no way water can get thru there, in fact Alinco claims that you can drop the radio in water up to 3 feet deep for up to 30 minutes... I wouldn't do that but its nice to know that its made up to IPX7 standards & I would have no problem taking this with me to go fishing, hiking, camping whatever...

Only thing that I didnt like, and its not a deal breaker, its the low cost 700mAH battery that it comes with. It takes 10 hrs to charge and you have to monitor the battery carefully while its charging to avoid overcharging it as the AC wall charger does not shut off automatically. The charge only good for a days worth of recieve and maybe a few hrs of actual talk time...

I did order the optional EDC-144 Alinco drop in quick charger & EBP-64 7.4V 1600MAH Lithium Ion Battery which together set me back another 100 bux.

I think this is a great value and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a dual bander that is easy to program......

N1ZHE Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2013 23:32 Send this review to a friend
Meets My Needs!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this radio with the supplied EBP-65 700MA battery. I also purchased the EDH-34 AA battery pack and the EBP-66 2000 MA Ni-MH battery as well as the EBP-64 1600 MA Li-ion battery pack. I use the EDC-144 charger, it's will charge all of the batteries except the AA battery pack of course. I like this charger because you can charge the batteries in the radio or by themselves. The light goes off when the battery is charged.

Love the radio, it has a HUGE speaker-mic. Received sound is excellent, I'm told by those who have met me face to face that my transmitted voice sounds excellent.

I have never programmed this radio by itself, I've always used the RT software and their cable.

This HT has a short, fat body, just right for my hand. And it easily stands up very well, you have to push it a ways before it starts to fall on it's own, no matter which battery you're using.

If one band at a time is OK with you, this HT must be checked out.

KD0QEB Rating: 3/5 Feb 1, 2013 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Okay for a beginner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this HT shortly after getting my license and have only one problem with it. That is there is no indication of when the battery is fully charged and the fact that the supplied battery (700mA)is a NiMH one must be very careful not to over charge it. I recently purchased the NiMH upgraded battery (2000mA) and I'm concerned I'll over charge it. Also, the use of the car charging adapter (any of the ones offered)is not well documented. While I don't have any personal experience with other HTs, I find this unit to be very easy to program. I was able to store 15 different memory locations is less the 20 minutes and as stated I had no experience with other HTs.

KA6GEM Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2012 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT - VERY easy to use!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Alinco DJ-V57T is a basic, easy to use, rugged and waterproof dual-band HT with great TX and RX audio. In my opinion, it ranks high on a list of low cost entry-level HTs that includes the Wouxun KG-UV3D, the Yaesu FT-60 and the Icom IC-T70A.

I own several HTs and can see how they all have strengths and weaknesses. To me, ease of use is one of the most important aspects of any HT, but it’s difficult to quantify. I picked up an Alinco DJ-V57T, turned it on, adjusted the volume, squelch, set the frequency, offset, tone and put it all in memory without ever once looking at the manual. PTT, squelch, display and keyboard lamp, menu and menu navigating as well as toggling between a memory name and frequency can all be done with your thumb and the three buttons on the left side. It’s very logically laid out.

Operating some HTs can be really convoluted. The Wouxun KG-UV3D is a nightmare! Just to switch from VFO (“Frequency”) to Memory (“Name”) requires five steps (hit Menu, dial to Menu 21, hit Menu again, dial to “Name” and hit Menu again to exit.) There is a short-cut (Menu>TDR) but it returns to the Channel option not “Name.” If you can’t remember how to use your radio, it’s useless no matter what you paid for it.

Operating a Yaesu FT-60 or the Icom T70A is reasonably straight forward but the buttons on the FT-60 are too small and prone to mistaken entries and I hate the zero button “Wires” trap. Several reviewers have commented on how the buttons on the Alinco, like the Icom, are better suited to larger fingers and thus are less prone to errors. I strongly agree. Oddly, the Icom T70A does not have an illuminated display and keyboard.

While the Wouxun comes with a Li-ion battery, the Icom, Yaesu, and Alinco are all supplied with a low cost NiMH battery. At 700 mHA, the Alinco is the smallest of the group. They all require a minimum of 10 hours of charging with a 12 volt charger and charging does not shut off automatically so it requires careful monitoring.

When I upgraded to the optional 1,600 mAH Li-ion battery and drop in charger my biggest concern with the Alinco DJ-V57T went away. The Li-ion battery provides more than twice the operating time and it charges in about 4 hours. The radio remains the same depth but picks up ¾ of an ounce. The upgraded battery and drop-in charger elevates the cost by about $100, about the same as the Icom. Yaesu does not make a Li-ion battery for the FT-60 although there are after-market options. The battery clasp at the back of the Alinco ensures a tight waterproof seal but it’s easier to open than my FT-60… no broken finger nail, no coin required. And if you set the Alinco standing up, it stays there. The FT-60 wobbles and falls over.

While the Alinco DJ-V57T is easy to use, it still has a few quirks. You can’t go from memory 50 to 100 or 200 without turning the knob a bunch of times and there’s no way to copy a memory channel back to the VFO. And like the Icom and Yaesu, it doesn’t receive basic AM or FM broadcasts. Also, I see little value in the silly alarm feature (function > 3).

The Alinco APK-V57 programming software by RT Systems works flawlessly on my Win/7 PC and the heavy duty USB cable is well made. It installed and operated on the first try without any hiccups. It too is very easy to use.

This week I received the October (2012) issue of QST and its review of the Alinco DJ-V57T on page 50 seems like a fair assessment. I agree with their overall summary that it’s a good basic radio at a reasonable price. I would add that it’s one of the easiest HTs on the market to use and program.

Paul
KA6GEM

G1YGJ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2012 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the "E" version as opposed to the "T", being in the UK.
The main difference is, for £139.95 it comes with the EDC-159E rapid Li-ion stand charger and EBP-63 Li-ion battery rated at 1100mAh.

My first contact was from my back garden straight into a 70cm repeater 40 miles way using the supplied aerial, very impressive!

It's so easy to set up and enter memories complete with repeater offsets, CTCSS and alpha numeric display.
I've never had a handheld that is so easy to program.

There are 200 memories, which should be enough for anyone I would think!

It has a very solid feel to it with no creaking from plastic joints.

The buttons are a good size for big fingers and thumbs too!

The RX audio from the internal speaker is superb.

It does exactly as it says on the tin with no messing or unnecessary programs that one will never use.

Having tried and tested several other handhelds including the Yaesu VX-7 and FT 60. The Alinco wins hands down. It's even better and easier to use than my old trusted Kenwood TH-F7E which I sold a couple of years ago.

This radio has replaced my rather complicated Icom IC-E92D D-Star handheld. Who needs a radio that constantly requires updating by computer to cope with the digital mode updates?
D-Star isn't as good as it's cracked up to be anyway, as I have found out!

Have no doubts, this is a very good down to earth simple handheld that should give good service for many years to come.

My thanks go to Nevada Radio UK for their excellent, friendly and very swift service!

WB8VLC Rating: 3/5 May 11, 2012 12:38 Send this review to a friend
3.0 because of wimpy battery pack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had this radio for a week trying out for a new ham family member but returned it because of the useless 700mAh battery pack,

The only way that Alinco can sell this radio so cheap is to offer the 700 mAh battery pack, if you want a real useable radio then the optional battery pack increases the the overall price to more than 200 dollars.

A 700 mAh battery offered in anything this day is useless and they know it.

I finally settled on the Yaesu FT60 even though its older radio it's still available and a much better selection based on the other components that are standard with the radio.

KB3YJO Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2012 15:30 Send this review to a friend
awesome radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i just passed my tech class test so this is my 1st ham radio.i have 7 shortwave and 3 scanners.
before i picked out this radio i highly considered one of the several chinese radios flooding the market,i did tons of research and watched dozens of videos before i made my final choice.i had to go to 3 different ''major'' vendors to get one because these DJ V-57T radios are becoming so sought after.and for good reason they are a great radio at a good price.i asked the salesman at one major vendor where i was going to get an additional antenna,he told me it would be a waste of my money because ALINCO did such a super job matching the 9plus inch rubber duck.
and i soon found out he was right i was hitting repeaters 70+ miles away and was able to talk to some fine folks in 3 different states-just w/ the rubber duck.i did end up just getting a slim jim which gives me tremendous range when i am out in the field or mountain hopping and after reading the great reviews on the slim jim on eham i couldnt pass that up.
i recommend the alinco dj v-57t for anyone looking for a great 2 meter/70 cm handheld.and the customer service at alinco CANT BE BEAT.i called them because i couldnt get the programming[im a green ham] but the folks there were super nice and walked me thru it and really took their time w/ me.all in all when i move up to another radio i will look @ ALINCO for my next rig.i got my radio from ham radio outlet,ordered it on a tuesday afternoon and it was in my hands by that friday afternoon.this was after 2 other major vendors told me it was on back order and could take between 2 weeks and 2 months.all in all i could not be happier with the entire experience.73 to all the hams out there,especially the older ones who helped make this great hobby/way of life what it is today.

K1MF Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2011 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition to the Alinco Family  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Alinco DJ-V57T
Much like the Alinco DJ-V27T, the 220MHz HT, the DJ-V57T was a breeze to program up. I just had to refer to the manual only twice during the time, and that was because I was not really paying attention to what I was doing so in that case it was operator error. To manually enter frequencies including offsets, PL, and repeater sift direction took about 45 seconds per entry, not bad, probably one of the easiest rigs to work with. Of course one thing I did like was the keyboard, the placement was more to my liking, just because of my little fat sausage fingers, on some rigs the keys are placed so close you would double key an entry. All in all having only owned the rig for a few days, this is one I can really recommend to the new comers to the hobby as well as to the more experienced operators.
As time passes I will be back with an up-date, I just hope the rig lives up to my expectations , and judging from the my initial playtime with it, I believe it will. It will most likely give Wouxun and some of the others a run for the money.
Regards;