Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ
MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ Reviews: 26 Average rating: 2.4/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: Remote IntelliTuner is mounted in a durable hard plastic case that measures 9 ž" x 3" x 14 ž". Covers 1.8 to 30 MHz, have heavy duty 16 Amp / 1000 Volt relays and are a highly efficient L-network. It also includes the MFJ-4117 BiasTee Power Injector to send DC/RF down your coax.
Handles 600 Watts SSB/CWpower level and is said to matche 12-800 Ohm antennas.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ.

NZ5F Rating: 1/5 Feb 28, 2018 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Updated review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Started having issues with it after two months limited use. Initially tunes fine on all bands with my 400’ long loop (resonant at 3 MHz) even on 160m and as you get above about 100W goes haywire with SWR readings.

Just decided to give up and sell it as mechanics special. I don’t want to deal with HRO or MFJ with this piece of equipment. Wish it would have worked for me. It is too bad. It is my last MFJ purchase for sure.
SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2018 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Works great, whats the problem ?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
All kind of devices made to tune a piece of wire or metal to a frequency where it is not resonant, is without any exception a compromise.
Nothing will ever replace a resonant antenna.

But, with this in mind and using common sense (if youīve got a license you should have, at least, basic skills and knowledge) this is a quite useful piece of gear.
It will NOT tune a 10 inch antenna and turn it into a 4-square or 6-element monobander, but it WILL tune a reasonably long wire and handle itīs rated power just as good as any other tuner IF you r.t.f.m. and follow common sense in providing RF ground.
I use this tuner to tune an endfed inverted V for 160m attached with itīs apex up in my 50' tower and a decent ground to work against.
No problems what so ever.
Being in Stockholm, Sweden, it have gotten itīs share of rain, snow, ice, freezing temperature and harsh conditions and passed with flying colours.
I have an ACOM1000 driving it up to itīs 600W limit.
No problems at all ! :)

Now, I repeat, you must handle this as any other antenna and use good feedlines, wires, grounding etc.
Your 6-element beam is not going to handle 1,5kW on a RG-172 either, and you expensive whatyouhave-roller-inductor-superfluxcapacitor-tuner costing more than your car will not tune a fishing lure to 1.0:1 SWR on top band 160m either.
Common sense and care of detail is needed, but with that in place, this gives you a very competent tuner for the price asked.
There is no automatic tuner, remote or indoors, that will handle this power and range at this price.

Yep, maybe you get what you pay for, but I am happy, and so is my rig :)
W4IOA Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2017 22:16 Send this review to a friend
does it's job  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this at the base of a flagpole antenna. 150' of coax feeding the antenna and the tuner works. There is a bit of a learning curve and the instructions are not as helpful as they could be so I am rating it a 4. Haven't needed to crack open the box, I installed it at the base of the antenna in a vertical position high enough that the bottom is 8" off the ground. Been through some typical mid-south squalls and lots of driving rain without a problem. I think if they improved the instructions and clarified on how to properly tune it there wouldn't be problems. 40m was the only frequency I had any issue with but after a reset I got it up and going.I'll come back in a year and give another review.
AD8Y Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Two of them working well, survived Cleveland winters  Time owned: more than 12 months
Needed a small amount of outboard inductance to match 5/8 vertical on 40 meters; other than that, two of them have worked fine. I'm using one for the vertical, one for a 105' doublet on 80-10 meters. That one won't match on 160 meters but I didn't expect it to. The units have survived multiple Cleveland season changes without difficulty. The Bias-Ts also have worked fine.
KF6BKH Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2016 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I needed a remote tuner for one of my antenna projects and went with this unit. Before installing the tuner and after reading about possible quality issues with MFJ, I opened the case to look inside, every thing looked fine and well made. I have been using this with my Omni 7 and Hercules amp for almost a year and can say it has worked as it should.
KG9H Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2015 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Very good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had issues with my original one and returned it to MFJ for repair, etc. In addition the Bias-T had a bad cap and it applied 12VDC to my Jupiter, I had to send it into Ten Tec for repair. See original post.
I got a new unit and another Bias-T from MFJ.
It tuned extremely well and the new Bias-T works well.
Highly recommend this tuner. My set-up consists of 100' of RG-8 to the tuner mounted on a 8' driven pole. Then I run 40' of heavy wire to a 50'x8', 1/4" steel sea-wall adjacent to the lake. I am very happy with the performance now. Thank you MFJ.
K0LTD Rating: 3/5 Jan 27, 2015 20:27 Send this review to a friend
4th time charm  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well, after my last reviews.. And now have bent sent my 4th unit.. All works now..
WB4RHQ Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2014 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Remote Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner for a couple of years and have been pleased with it. It is mounted at the end of 100' of coax feeding a 170' long wire antenna. Occasionally I have to remove the power and restart it, but thta is only about once a month. I have not seen any of the issues mentioned by others.
KK8ZZ Rating: 0/5 Sep 16, 2014 19:11 Send this review to a friend
What a Waste  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
So sorry I had any faith in MFJ for this.... what a poorly-constructed (screws rattling around inside) hunk of crap... Martin, have your stuff assembled in China.. at least they can get it right....
KA4KOE Rating: 0/5 Nov 14, 2013 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Unreliable, bad for tubes  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Antenna tuner stopped working on 40m. It will hunt for a bit and then stops between an SWR of 3 to 5. Lots of noise on receive. Unreliable and not good for my Johnson Valiant transmitter.