Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ
MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ Reviews: 23 Average rating: 2.3/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: Remote IntelliTuner is mounted in a durable hard plastic case that measures 9 " x 3" x 14 ". Covers 1.8 to 30 MHz, have heavy duty 16 Amp / 1000 Volt relays and are a highly efficient L-network. It also includes the MFJ-4117 BiasTee Power Injector to send DC/RF down your coax.
Handles 600 Watts SSB/CWpower level and is said to matche 12-800 Ohm antennas.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ.

WV2M Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 00:13 Send this review to a friend
Works Well But Coax Quality Must Be Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MFJ-994BRT tunes my Hygain multiband DX-88 quickly and I can obtain a less than 2:1 SWR at all portions of the various bands. After a few days of operation I did experience high noise on the receive signal (> s9) when returning from transmit. Sometimes it sounded like static crashes and other times sounded like steady RFI. I also experienced spontaneous retuning during transmit using high power (>100 watts.)

At first I though the high noise level was due to a problem in my transceiver but I noticed that the noise did not occur when I turned off the 12 V DC BiasTee injector that powers the tuner. I then disconnected the coax from the tuner and turned on the BiasTee and noticed that the receiver noise reappeared!

I deduced that the noise was due to an intermittent DC short in the coax cable going to the tuner and that the spontaneous retuning could be due to low voltages reaching the tuner (more than 250 feet of coax) because of the DC short. I traced the issue to a damaged section of coax cable. I replaced the cable section and it worked well again with no noise or retunes.

However, after a few more weeks I noticed that the same receiver noise and retunes started up again. This time I traced it to a poor solder job I did on a PL259 connector that I installed to splice in the replaced cable section.
K7DRT Rating: 2/5 Jan 26, 2013 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Tuner range inadequate & unreliable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine used. To make a long story short:It is a poor tuner when compared to other makes. I have tried everything but it is not reliable. Antennas my Icom AH-4 or my Elecraft K3 can tune well & realiably this tuner cannot. And when it does tune it sometimes loses it's tuning & my solid state amp faults. I even shielded the inside of the covers, & performed resets. It is much better than when I first received it. But not good enough. 73 de Dave
K6PLR Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2013 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Follow up  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As stated in my Sept. 8, 2012 review, I thought this tuner was great. Having said that, I found tuning 40 meters to be a problem. All other bands were flat or close. This weeks weather in So. Cal has been like summer, so I decided today was the day to try to improve performance of my antenna and tuner. The short of it is I eventually added 30 feet of wire for a total of 95 feet in inverted L fashion. That did the trick and the MFJ-994brt is now tuning flat 80-10 meters with 25 to 600 watts applied. I use it on AM at 150 watts.
Carlsbad, CA
GW4GOQ Rating: 1/5 Oct 11, 2012 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Unreliable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Further to my last post I can confirm with other comments that the tuner is unreliable, retuning in the middle of a QSO certainly upsets a Linear Amp.

I intend to use reliable trapped dipoles which are stable and don't randomly change impedance in the future.
KH6SAT Rating: 1/5 Oct 10, 2012 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Can't Trust It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my tuner for a couple days. Despite warnings to the contrary, I went ahead and bought the 994BRT. after running it for a couple days, I noticed that sometimes it decided not to tune or, sometimes it would detune. I wanted to do some resetting but to do that, you have to take the tuner apart to access controls. On the last day of use, I got it pretty stable but it would never tune on 30, 40, or 80 meters. This is when I decided to take it off line. Next stop, SGC.
KJ3P Rating: 4/5 Oct 3, 2012 04:04 Send this review to a friend
Works fine, no frills  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've used the 994BRT for a few months now, feeding only 100 watts to a SuperLoop80. I have always tuned it with ten watts, never hitting it "cold" with 100 watts. This particular antenna needs only moderate tuning, so this is a very non-challenging setup for a tuner. Under these conditions, the tuner has worked with no problems. I'll soon be running it with 500-600 watts, so I may need to amend this review!

It works automatically, with absolutely no user input available or needed. This might have been a poor choice for a control freak (like me), but I'm learning to trust it. I really miss having the complete visual feedback provided by my trusty MFJ-993 (300-watt auto-tuner) which I replaced with the 994BRT. The 993 is a fine product; I used it for years with no problems. I believe there's a market for a remote tuner with a control head/indicator back in the shack. For me, it would be worth the extra cost and extra wiring.

Significant inconvenience: the plastic cover partially blocks access to the RF in/out coax jacks, making it difficult to tighten/loosen PL-259s. Poor design.

Safety problem: The long-wire standoff with wing nut is live, even if you're only using coax in/out. An internal jumper would have solved this. Poor design.

Loose parts: A half-inch piece of stiff wire was lodged (inside) near the RF input connector. It could have easily shaken loose and shorted something. Does MFJ put loose stuff inside their products just to bait us?!

Before I bought this MFJ, I confess that I called LDG to be sure that they didn't make a remote tuner; they don't. But they said maybe next spring(?). Couldn't wait that long.
WB9JOX Rating: 0/5 Oct 2, 2012 19:39 Send this review to a friend
poor quality control.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What I dont understand ,what happened with quality control?This is terrible.With all the problems there should be 4 year warranty on this tuner. Same with 998 brt remote tuner.
K2PAL Rating: 1/5 Sep 1, 2012 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Very disappointed as this could produce?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
How I told myself do not buy from MFJ.
How you can feel when you turn on the tuner first time, and he was dead.
I had to unscrew the 10 screws with this stupid black box.In the sun, it's good :-( that you can not find the white plastic?
When I opened, I will see that the small board screwed very high.
And when you close the top cover closes a small switch.
And I had to drop down the board.Sockets 259 swirling in a plastic cover why?
And of course when tightening the antenna size sockets they unscrew.We must send them all and let them return the money.Why we payed $400 for what?
KG9H Rating: 1/5 Apr 19, 2012 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Tuner "crackles"  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Sending it in AGAIN, this time the tuner sends RF noise back to my receiver (crackling of S-9 to +20dB), MFJ wants me to send it in again. This makes the 3rd attempt to get it RIGHT. No matter what warranty means I am out a tuner for the 3rd time. I do like my 925 tuner - that one works perfect! This 994 is not right.... yet.
G7VJR Rating: 2/5 Feb 18, 2012 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Not very capable tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although attractively priced and rated for legal power here in the UK, I am quite disappointed. The MFJ 994-BRT cannot tune my antenna on 160m, 40m or 10m - but my SGC tuner does so readily, as does the Elecraft K3 built in tuner from the shack. I think this is probably an issue I can solve by adding or removing length from the vertical wire I'm tuning.

Build quality is so-so. One of the SO-259 sockets is loose on mine, and the physical layout of the connectors is inconvenient on the casing. As one of the other reviews says, some details about this tuner make it hard to recommend.