Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ
MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ Reviews: 18 Average rating: 1.7/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: Remote IntelliTuner is mounted in a durable hard plastic case that measures 9 " x 3" x 14 ". Covers 1.8 to 30 MHz, have heavy duty 16 Amp / 1000 Volt relays and are a highly efficient L-network. It also includes the MFJ-4117 BiasTee Power Injector to send DC/RF down your coax.
Handles 600 Watts SSB/CWpower level and is said to matche 12-800 Ohm antennas.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-994BRT

You can write your own review of the MFJ-994BRT TUNER, AUTO, REMOTE, 600W, 1.8-30 MHZ.

KJ3P Rating: 4/5 Oct 3, 2012 04:04 Send this review to a friend
Works fine, no frills  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've used the 994BRT for a few months now, feeding only 100 watts to a SuperLoop80. I have always tuned it with ten watts, never hitting it "cold" with 100 watts. This particular antenna needs only moderate tuning, so this is a very non-challenging setup for a tuner. Under these conditions, the tuner has worked with no problems. I'll soon be running it with 500-600 watts, so I may need to amend this review!

It works automatically, with absolutely no user input available or needed. This might have been a poor choice for a control freak (like me), but I'm learning to trust it. I really miss having the complete visual feedback provided by my trusty MFJ-993 (300-watt auto-tuner) which I replaced with the 994BRT. The 993 is a fine product; I used it for years with no problems. I believe there's a market for a remote tuner with a control head/indicator back in the shack. For me, it would be worth the extra cost and extra wiring.

Significant inconvenience: the plastic cover partially blocks access to the RF in/out coax jacks, making it difficult to tighten/loosen PL-259s. Poor design.

Safety problem: The long-wire standoff with wing nut is live, even if you're only using coax in/out. An internal jumper would have solved this. Poor design.

Loose parts: A half-inch piece of stiff wire was lodged (inside) near the RF input connector. It could have easily shaken loose and shorted something. Does MFJ put loose stuff inside their products just to bait us?!

Before I bought this MFJ, I confess that I called LDG to be sure that they didn't make a remote tuner; they don't. But they said maybe next spring(?). Couldn't wait that long.

WB9JOX Rating: 0/5 Oct 2, 2012 19:39 Send this review to a friend
poor quality control.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What I dont understand ,what happened with quality control?This is terrible.With all the problems there should be 4 year warranty on this tuner. Same with 998 brt remote tuner.

K2PAL Rating: 1/5 Sep 1, 2012 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Very disappointed as this could produce?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
How I told myself do not buy from MFJ.
How you can feel when you turn on the tuner first time, and he was dead.
I had to unscrew the 10 screws with this stupid black box.In the sun, it's good :-( that you can not find the white plastic?
When I opened, I will see that the small board screwed very high.
And when you close the top cover closes a small switch.
And I had to drop down the board.Sockets 259 swirling in a plastic cover why?
And of course when tightening the antenna size sockets they unscrew.We must send them all and let them return the money.Why we payed $400 for what?
Garbage.

KG9H Rating: 1/5 Apr 19, 2012 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Tuner "crackles"  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Sending it in AGAIN, this time the tuner sends RF noise back to my receiver (crackling of S-9 to +20dB), MFJ wants me to send it in again. This makes the 3rd attempt to get it RIGHT. No matter what warranty means I am out a tuner for the 3rd time. I do like my 925 tuner - that one works perfect! This 994 is not right.... yet.

G7VJR Rating: 2/5 Feb 18, 2012 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Not very capable tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although attractively priced and rated for legal power here in the UK, I am quite disappointed. The MFJ 994-BRT cannot tune my antenna on 160m, 40m or 10m - but my SGC tuner does so readily, as does the Elecraft K3 built in tuner from the shack. I think this is probably an issue I can solve by adding or removing length from the vertical wire I'm tuning.

Build quality is so-so. One of the SO-259 sockets is loose on mine, and the physical layout of the connectors is inconvenient on the casing. As one of the other reviews says, some details about this tuner make it hard to recommend.

K6ILG Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2012 16:58 Send this review to a friend
do your home work regarding specs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used the sgc-230 rated at 200 watts on my hy-tower for 160 operation i wanted to move up to the mfj 994brt 600 watt remote to match my als-600, that was a mistake the mfj didnt have near the range necessary to tune 160 after talking to tech people at mfj it was clear that the sgc 230 was a better choice and for the time being ill run 100 watts.

KG9H Rating: 1/5 Jan 19, 2012 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Quality of Bias T not good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Found a loose wire inside the Bias-T, it applied +12VDC into my new Jupiter - poof. Awaiting back from MFJ now. Just got the Jupiter back today, Thank you Ten Tec for super repair service.
MFJ?

N0MG Rating: 3/5 Nov 21, 2011 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Good, not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased this remote autotuner to pair with my 43' vertical. My vertical has 18 53' radials, and is adequately tuned by a tuner at my rig. However, it's always better to drive the antenna at its base, so I opted for this unit.
Upon trying to hook it up, the first thing I noticed was that the flange for the upper weatherproof cover was covering the SO-239 connector, and it was impossible to screw an antenna connector on to the unit. Bad design. So I had to clip the plastic flange a bit to make room for the connector.
Second - let's hook it up and turn it on! After hooking up the dc/rf "BiasTee" unit, I found a trustee 12v/1A transformer and did indeed verify that the voltage was getting to the unit. But the unit wouldn't tune. In fact, nothing happened - no relays clicking, nothing. Time to troubleshoot. A call to MFJ was absolutely no help.
The unit itself has 8 tiny non-captive screws securing the top and bottom of the weatherproof box. Not a good design and makes it difficult to work on if the unit was mounted.
So I opened up the unit to discover the "control board" is mounted upside down with the much needed reset and control buttons facing the motherboard. Bad design. So I searched the instructions for a map for the buttons, but there was none, only a verbal description of each button's functions.

Once open, I had to remove the small board and visibly look at the buttons (the instructions even tell you this). When I did this I realized that the ribbon cable which connects the two boards had actually touched the power button and in fact switched the unit off, probably while it was being shipped. Another poor design. I turned the unit on and presto, it worked.
As far as results, it tunes ok 6-40 meters. The impedence at 80 on my 43' vertical is just too low for the unit (my modeling says it's around 5 ohms) so you can't have everything. SWR can be as high as 2:1 at my radio on some bands but that's still well within an acceptable range.
As for performance, once I got through all the manufacturing glitches, it actually works nicely. There are times when I need to turn the power module off and then on to reset the unit, but that's rare. There might be some manual tweaks I could make on the control board to better the SWR on some bands, but I haven't measured it yet at the antenna so I can't say how it is really performing.
Receive and transmit performance have been good with the unit, better than using my manual tuner at the rig. Haven't pushed any power through it yet other than the 100w from my Flex-5000.
If MFJ could get their quality control act together, get some decent technical service, and then actually have someone think about design aspects, this would be a great tuner. Had it actually worked right out of the box, it could easily have got a 4 or maybe even a 5.