Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Tram 1185 Help

Reviews Summary for Tram 1185
Tram 1185 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $17.99
Description: VHF/UHF Dual Band Mobile Antenna

You can write your own review of the Tram 1185.

WD5NOT Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2016 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Great little antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna over the weekend at the Rosenberg Ham fest and i must say that i am very pleased with it so far. I am mobile again i am using my Baofeng UV-5R hand held and it is getting in to repeaters that i haven't been able to get in with the stock antenna. I bought the one with the PL-259 connector as I plan to mount my TM-281A in my vehicle. And there are other versions using a SMA and BNC connector. I will revisit this in a few weeks to update if needed although I don't think it will be neccessary.
Tram 1185
Cable 12' RG-58/U
Connector PL-259

WA7TN Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2015 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Does The Job and Then Some  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found this antenna for $16 at Walmart.com in July 2015 and jumped on it as it was delivered for free to my local store. Recently the price has been raised to $17.49, but it is still priced near $16 on several internet sites. The antenna itself reportedly has no gain on 2m and 2.5 dBD on 70cm. I did not measure SWR not having a VHF/UHF SWR meter available. It replaced a MFJ 1729 which is longer and has more gain.

The antenna is mounted on a 3 inch diameter magnetic base that holds it very securely to a metal surface. The aerial connects to the base with a 3/8-24 thread. Water proofing has not been tested so far outside of a few summer showers. The aerial is 19 inches long with a coil. The coax is better quality than that on the MFJ. Performance has been equal to or exceeds the previous antenna. I've QSO'd simplex as much as 60-70 miles with a ham somewhere on Mt. Rainier (not near the summit) and 35 miles overland on 2m. I hit all repeaters in the Puget Sound region on 2m. UHF performance has not been fully tested, but it does hit all 70cm repeaters that my base antenna does.

I give it 4 stars because it is not perfect. Two criticisms: 1) the aerial is not flexible and could be bent or possibly broken if it hits an object just right. The aerial is quite rigid. Secondly, the feedline is about 2-3 feet short to allow for mounting the antenna at the back of my Subaru Outback without an extension. This could be overcome it were fed through a side window rather than through the back gate.

If you are an economy minded ham who wants to get the job done this is the one.

IZ2UQE Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2014 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Very very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna recently on Amazon for $16 so that I could use my UV-5R in my car. I had to buy also a RF coax cable SMA female t UHF SO239 to connect directly.
Cheap - small - very effective.
Great small antenna.

KE5CTT Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Great value for occasional mobile use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna replaced a tiny 1" diameter base mag mount antenna that had flimsy 1/8" diameter coax - bought at a hamfest. The tiny coax pulled out of the base, and when trying to pry the base apart to make repairs the base broke. In the trash it went.

I really appreciate the difference in quality with this antenna, although the cost was almost the same as the junk-tenna mentioned above! Paid 16 bucks on Amazon for this little gem. The base is about 3" in diameter and has a good strong magnet. It comes with 12' of RG58 stranded center conductor coax so it's nice and flexible. I sat in my backyard and put the antenna on a sheet pan and connected it to my HT - hit a 2 meter repeater 30 miles away that I couldn't reliably even hear with my rubber duck antenna. I couldn't find anything else with similar price / performance.

Haven't had it for long, and I don't plan to leave it on my truck full time, but I did notice it has an o-ring seal between the antenna and the base so hopefully it'll hold up to the weather.

KB2HSH Rating: 4/5 Mar 14, 2014 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Affordable performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna recently of of Amazon for $16 so that I could use my UV3R in my truck as a pseudo-mobile rig. I was basically looking for an inexpensive mobile antenna for the 440 MHz repeaters that are in Buffalo. It's cheap...it works...no complaints! And if it falls off or is broken, did I mention that it's CHEAP?!

Thrilled with it, though! Excellent performance with the 2+ dB of gain. And it beats using an HT in the Freestar!

KB1FXQ Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2011 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Good for what it is...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted an inexpensive dual band mag mount antenna to put on my truck and it fills the bill. Unity gain on 2m and 2.5db on 440. 19" tall so it clears the garage door. 17.99 + shipping on ebay.