Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | MFJ-293 Boom-mic headset Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-293 Boom-mic headset
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: This tiny earbud features a secure and comfortable rubber flex earloop design and 5 inch flexible boom microphone that adjusts perfectly to your mouth. The earloop secures your earbud for a comfortable fit so theres no more worrying about it falling out of your ear.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-293i

You can write your own review of the MFJ-293 Boom-mic headset.

WB4ES Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2011 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Not perfect, but usable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't be fooled by the product photo. It looks like it would fit similarly to a wired hands-free phone headset, but the mic boom is longer than that. The description says 5", which is true, but that doesn't include the mic itself which adds almost another inch.

The mic is pointed straight out the end of the boom, when it seems like pointing to the side would be better, and appears to be directional. I had to bend it around and point it directly at my mouth to get a decent audio level out of it.

That said, I couldn't be happier about the receive audio. At about 1/3 of the volume level needed to drive my radio's internal speaker at a similar loudness, I was able to hear and understand everything.

I'm planning to keep this headset, now that I've figured out the quirks, as it's the closest thing I've been able to find to the low-profile HT headset I've been wanting. I'd love to find something even closer, but for now this does the job.