Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | Heil PL-2T Help

Reviews Summary for Heil PL-2T
Reviews: 9 Average rating: 2.4/5 MSRP: $120.00
Description: The Heil Sound PL2T "Topless" mount is a unique and versatile boom that utilizes a system of perfectly balanced internal springs to provide perfect balance and silent, effortless adjustment of its position. The PL2T easily handles microphones weighing up to 2.5 lb., and it makes for a professional-looking installation without adding to the clutter in front of you. The Heil PL-2T features a hollow channel that the microphone cable can be fed through and provides the perfect cable maintenance. The unique "Topless" design of the PL2T allows you to remove the top and back cover plates, so you can thread the microphone cable along the spine of the mount. Once the cable is in place, you snap the cover plates back in place, for a clean installation with no visible wiring.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/pl2t/

You can write your own review of the Heil PL-2T.

N0HI Rating: 2/5 Mar 19, 2016 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
1. The covers for the "hollow" channels where the cables are routed do NOT stay in place. They very easily just pop off when moving the microphone around. This happens even when proper slack has been placed in the cable. I ended up having to use nylon tie-wraps to hold in-place. Very cheap even though the product is not cheap in price.
2. A plastic device of some sort near the base of the arm will not stay in place. It also just pops out on occasion.
3. The supplied "C" clamp for the base is easily bent when clamping it down on a desktop. So far is is staying in-place, however I can see it is slightly bent.
4. Zero instructions are supplied with the unit. It seems like it should be intuitive, but not necessarily since parts have to be disassemble and reassembled to route the cable.

I will look for another solution and steer clear of Heil in the future.

G2YC Rating: 2/5 Feb 24, 2015 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Good boom--bad bracket  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a review one week ago (reproduced here) and need to revise it since I have now received a replacement C-clamp bracket. The replacement was sent before my review appeared in eHam--it just took a while to arrive.

The new C-clamp is a different design and lighter in weight than the one that has bent so badly, and hopefully will hold up better. I have deleted my earlier comments about being unable to get Heil to respond to my emails, but otherwise my criticism remains of the original C-clamp.

Here is my amended review dated 17 February 2015:
My boom is OK, but the C-clamp bracket that it attaches to is not. The C-clamp bracket is mounted on a 1"-thick (25mm) shelf and supports the weight of the boom plus a PR-781 mic (which is a great mic, but heavy). Since buying all this three years ago, the C-clamp has bowed significantly so that the threaded 'bolt' now contacts the shelf it is secured to at about 15į from square. The clamp keeps working away from the shelf so that I have to take it off and re-set the clamp every few months. I'm afraid the boom will soon work its way off and crash down on other equipment.

The clamp is normally tensioned tightly, but not overly so, to the shelf and I am gentle when I extend the boom. I am surprised that the bracket's thick metal spine can be bent that easily and so severely.

I think this is either a bad design of the C-clamp or the metal used to make it is too light duty. This simple flaw in the C-clamp makes the boom a bad choice.

W6LBV Rating: 3/5 Feb 19, 2015 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Not Ready for Prime Time!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the earlier PL-1 scissors boom, and its desk clamp is sturdy enough. But I wanted a riser post accessory, and I bought the only available item, the riser for the PL-2T. Naturally itís not backwards compatible to the PL-1!

At least for the PL-1, it was pretty apparent that the product was manufactured by Audio-Technica. Heil just re-stencils them and ships them out the door. Itís hard to say where heís buying his stuff today.

The PL-1 has held up reasonably well. At least it hasnít collapsed yet and taken a microphone with it, as the PL-2Ts apparently have.

Thereís no need to buy scissors booms from Heil. For about the same price you can get an O.C. White Co. product, available in a variety of models. These are the scissor booms that go into broadcast stations for daily use by ham-fisted disc jockeys, and these booms endure. The White Co. products donít just crash into oblivion without notice.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2015 16:29 Send this review to a friend
best boom  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have never have any problem with i had mine since 2002 some have issue with theirs !

As I said before ,I brought my new back in 2002 no problem whatsoever ! it still stand the day that i brought it new !

Jackie
N4MJG

N6BIZ Rating: 0/5 Feb 18, 2015 16:23 Send this review to a friend
JUNK  Time owned: more than 12 months
MINE AFTER A FEW YEARS BROKE AND A PIECE OF IT WENT WHIZZING PAST MY HEAD UNDER TENSION ...
I WILL NEVER EVER BUY A PIECE OF BOB HEILS STUFF AGAIN!!! OVER PRICED JUNK!!!

N1KDO Rating: 2/5 Feb 18, 2015 06:37 Send this review to a friend
cannot recommend  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like the others, the crappy pot metal desk clamp failed and my RE20 mic crashed to the floor. The "topless" booms are a gimmick, mine needed some "adjustment" with pliers to keep the plastic tops from popping off. It's pretty squeaky when moved around, too. I made a new desk mount out of some box channel and angle stock. I would not buy it again, and I would tell my friends to "look elsewhere."

KG6YV Rating: 0/5 Feb 17, 2015 15:26 Send this review to a friend
base is crap!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yeah well the c-clamp isn't the only substandard part in this ensemble. The cheap pot metal base shattered on mine after being in place for 2 years.
The boom, my expensive microphone and all came down with a thud on my desk. I guess you can't get quality metal work anymore.... I bought a base that screws into the shelf and drilled the 1-14" hole for it, problem solved.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2013 16:28 Send this review to a friend
NIce and easy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used a hand or desk mic for 20 years. I got the PT-2B for Christmas and it went together easily. Used a long mic cable from R&L Electronics. I use the the mic of my Yaesu MD-100, and still connect back to the base before the radio since it has excellent filters.

I cannot believe how easy it is to now look at my PC screen and radio/meters instead of down at the table and mic--heaven with VOX. Assembly and adjustments to the boom very easy. I use the desk clamp that came with the boom.

At first I thought the $100 price was high but it is well worth it in both quality of the boom, ease of use, and enjoyment. Got mine from R&L, they even opened it up to show me so I could decide.

WO8USA

K7BMG Rating: 3/5 Dec 3, 2011 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Nice boom, BUT! one draw back.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did not know when I ordered this boom the mounting post is fixed not hinged.

If you have to mount the boom on or right next to a wall and intend to push and pull the mic straight forward and back, please know the boom will not close flat against the wall. The design of this boom is such that the center top hinge must travel back over the mounting point to fully close. The wall prevents the center top hinge from going back over the mounting point so therefore the mic remains a full eighteen inches out from the wall.

Eighteen inches out from the wall over a thirty inch deep desk. Well guess what it gets in the way unless I push it way up over my head until I stand up anyway Then bonk. Yes I can swing it sideways then back but in (MY) case this needs a bit more space and two hands to operate it, then it blocks my notes and papers or removes them from the wall behind it.

I am going to have to have a custom mount made at the correct angle to allow the middle hinge point of the boom to go straight up when fully closed. This means I will not be able to swing the boom left or right horizontally anyway.

This is probably not a problem for most installations but for me it is.

The boom itself works great, is silent, and holds the mic solidly in place.

The boom just needs to have the ability to adjust the mounting posts angle, or provide a mounting solution that is adjustable.

A five star review would be given only if I did not have to make a mount.