Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-870 SWR/Wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-870 SWR/Wattmeter
MFJ-870 SWR/Wattmeter Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: Large 3.25 x 1.25 inch illuminated meter. A highly visible black and red meter scale on a bright white background. Reads SWR, forward or reflected power. Lamp requires 13.8 VDC, power pigtail included for wiring. MFJ-870 covers 1.6 to 60 MHz. 30, 300, 3000 Watt power ranges.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-870

You can write your own review of the MFJ-870 SWR/Wattmeter.

KN6Q Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2017 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Least Expensive Full Legal Limit Wattmeter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, the 3000 watt scale is a little ridiculous (at least in the US, where 1500 watts is the limit), and I have to calibrate SWR meter pretty much every time I use it, but it's a great value.

I like this style of meter over the crossing needles design, it's seems easier to read to me (and the meter is a big enough size to read easily). And actually coming with a pigtail for the lamp power is a plus, no extra purchase or clipping the end of a walwart is nice. Being able to turn off the light would be nice, but that's a really minor gripe.

I haven't compared it to calibrated Bird, but it's good enough to tune up my amp which what I really needed it for.

KF7VXA Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2014 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have found this meter to be pretty accurate, it's within specs. It's easy to read and easy to use.
For the price, it's a very good deal. It may not be a Bird, but between the SWR meter on my antenna tuner (LDG), the radio and the MFJ, I'm getting good SWR readings that I feel I can count on. As to power readings, with a good match on my antenna, the readings are very close to what I have dialed into my transceiver.
I have bought other meters that were a waste of money, this one is worth the price.
Unless you need the accuracy of a Bird, this one should be looked at.
When the radio is set at 100 watts and the power output of the meter is lower, it can always be traced to a less than perfect SWR lowering the power the transceiver puts out, so it even can give you a warning when in the power mode as to an SWR problem.
73's John

KF5ELO Rating: 0/5 Feb 9, 2013 20:50 Send this review to a friend
A waste of money  Time owned: more than 12 months
3 months after I bought this POS It quit working sent it in for repairs charged me for repair. Yesterday it began to give crazy swr readings (8.0:1 checked Antenna with antenna analyzer swr 1.1:1)
500 watts read a kw then it quit completely the light quit working and then no readings at all. Save your money and don't by this thing it's a waste of money and time

KF2IB Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 23:44 Send this review to a friend
Good bang for the buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very accurate, Easy to use, & see. Pretty green light.1.6 -60 MHz. 30/300/3000 watt scales. Peak reading! Excellent for 79.00 Made in Taiwan, not USA.

W4IOU Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2011 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Good Old-Fashioned SWR Bridge  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 30 yr. old SWR bridge finally failed me and caused me to shop around for a replacement. After some research and a couple of purchases that just were not to my liking, I gave the MFJ-870 a try.

It has a large, easy to read analog meter easily readable by those of use with less than perfect eyesight. Easy to use and well marked switches and a large knob for calibrating the SWR function.

This is a hefty little unit weighing over a pound and a half. It has a sturdy metal case with UHF connectors on the rear. Plus a coaxial power connector on the rear if you want to hook up the included power cable to illuminate the meter lamp.

I really don't use the power function very much, but this does seem to be in the ballpark and is specified to be +/- 10%. Certainly not as accurate as a Bird Wattmeter but certainly not as expensive either.

The reason I bought this unit is for the SWR function. Unlike many of the cross-needle units, I find this type of meter to be more accurate and easier to read. I used it to check out and make some adjustments to a multi-band vertical I just installed and it worked perfectly.

This has got to be one of the very best products sold by MFJ. It is a good no-nonsense SWR bridge with a reasonable wattmeter function. Simple, easy to use, built well and it just plain works.