Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Alinco DR-235TMkIII Mobile radio Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DR-235TMkIII Mobile radio
Alinco DR-235TMkIII Mobile radio Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $239.99 (AES)
Description: Mobile/base station radio with TX on 222-224.995 MHz, RX on 216-279.995 MHz. Three power settings for Hi/Med/Lo: 25/10/5 W. EJ-41U internal TNC board is available as an option for 1200/9600bps packet. EJ-47U digital voice F1E board available as an option. +/-2.5ppm Frequency stability with TCXO circuit. 100 memory channels. CTCSS, DCS encode+decode, DTMF encode and Tone-burst are all standards. Super-wide 7 character alphanumeric display. Wide and narrow FM modes (16K0 & 8K50F3E). Theft alarm feature. A large, palm-fitting commercial-grade backlit microphone with a metal connector (not a mudular plug). Ten autodial memories, and much more.
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DR-235/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DR-235TMkIII Mobile radio.

W5CEM Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2014 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If your on the fence about the 235, jump on over. I must respectfully disagree about the receive audio. Seems MORE than enough for shack use. Maybe mobile is a different story, but sitting on the desk, no problema. WAY easier to program than the TYT or Jetstream(had both) and unless you are in an area with lots of repeaters you won't miss the extra 25 watts or so out on high power.
Me thinks this rig will be in my shack for a long timie.

N2VU Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2014 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Solid and simple  Time owned: more than 12 months
Whatever there is to know about this radio has already been stated but I'll echo what the others have said:

- Great rig, super simple to operate
- NEEDS a good external speaker
- Has good TX audio
- Very easy to navigate without software

I've had the Jetstream and prefer the Alinco! I'd give it a 5/5 but because of the poor RX audio I gave it a 4/5.

N6DXX Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 21:10 Send this review to a friend
It's a keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio has served me well. It is easy to set-up & program & with 10 watts, I can hit all the repeaters of interest within 50 miles. The audio is just OK but thats to be expected from a 2" speaker. For better audio get an outboard speaker. I use mine as a base station & it always stays cool. It has a husky heat sink & doesn't need a fan. It's a keeper!

73, N6DXX

KY4TS Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2013 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Good solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine since 2009. No troubles thus far. I do have to agree with a previous reviewer, the receive audio is rather weak. Using an external speaker has helped. On the plus side, it is very easy to operate and program and seems very well built. Although the Jetstream has almost twice the RX output, it's not built as good as the Alinco. It will be interesting to see if the price goes down on the 235 with the introduction of the TYT TH-9000 (which I also own) or if they introduce an updated version (like they are doing with the 2m rig).

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2013 20:22 Send this review to a friend
First rate!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for almost 4 years and no problems at all. Does what it is supposed to do and that's all I can ask for. Not fancy but handles the 220 mz band very well. Seems to be an ever increasing popularity band and this radio does the job well.

K9MHZ Rating: 3/5 Apr 15, 2013 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good radio....nothing exceptional, though. I REALLY admire Alinco for making radios to cover the bands that the big three have either lost interest in, or have chosen to ignore. This radio has a lot of interfacing flexibilities built in, which will appeal to EMCOMM types who want to run digital modems, etc. The build quality is nice, and it seems reliable.

The downside.....the receiver audio is rotten.

K6QT Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2011 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have owned this radio for several months now and it works wonderfully. There are only three 220 MHz repeaters we can hit from our home in Layton, UT. One with an HT, the other two with more power. At home, my son uses a 5 W HT with an amp (which kicks it up to 60 W, according to the wattmeter), a 5.3 dBi mobile antenna on the roof, and is able to talk to me on all 3 repeaters as I drive to work. I have a 3.8 dBi antenna and this 25 W rig. We can communicate perfectly on all 3 repeaters. I've also plugged the Wouxun radio that does 2 M/1.25 M into my amp at home, and it also kicks out a good 60 W. This little radio is a godsend. I'm grateful to be able to finally work 1.25 M again. It's quiet, private, etc.

Also I'm in charge of emergency communications in my neighborhood with the ERC group. I've chosen this band because in our heavily populated area, every single frequency (on both 2 M and 70 CM) has been called for by some group or other, according to the local frequency coordinator, and I want to COMMUNICATE with those I work with. The way I see it, if you don't have a band like this, you have nothing. We've been asked to monitor a simplex frequency that the whole county ERC will be on. If we can get a word in edgewise, we might be able to get a few things across. But I prefer to be free to get what is needful, even if the communications be brief, as they should be in emergencies. And I think that the 220 band is a good choice for that.

Well, I shouldn't philosophize about the band so much as talk about the radio, and I apologize for it. But it has given me no problems, in all the time I've worked on it. Clean crisp audio, easy to program memories, good manual (which I've lost! and you can't get a good one, even on the Alinco web site; it's best to copy it and leave a copy at home in your filing cabinet!). No problem at all. Reports I've gotten have been good. So this is a radio I would recommend, definitely.