Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Help

CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Reviews: 42 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $225
Description: The Chameleon HYBRID Series is the next generation of Chameleon Antenna. This new generation of antennas and accessories will be fully compatible with almost any previous and future products.

The Chameleon HYBRID design revolves around a specially designed antenna base: the Chameleon HYBRID Base. This special base offers instantaneous bandwidth performance from 6M to 160M which will depend of the selected antenna configuration. The base is mainly designed to fulfill multiple tasks, enhance performances of the antenna system and facilitate antenna installations. It also has an integral broadband impedance matching allowing broadband waveforms to be utilized even after the addition of higher power amplifiers up to 1500W SSB.

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES.

CRACKERJOHN Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2015 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I moved to a HOA and couldn't put up an antenna. My friend suggested this antenna. It was easy to put up and my first contact was California. I wish I found this antenna years ago.
MONITORNUT Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2015 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic! Chameleon Antennas Rock  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am using the CH Hybrid + V2L lower + Cap Hat + another 8.5' Mil type antenna and 4 counterpoise wires on a 6' camera tripod.

Let me start out by saying I've tried many different antennas and NONE have worked like the Chameleon Hybrid setup I now have. I also use an antenna tuner as I tune around a lot as a ham/utility dx'er, however, after I put this antenna system together I don't use it as much anymore. The Hybrid is built extremely well and is waterproof, will last a lifetime, the magic is inside the hybrid base, I no longer need to tune my antenna tuner each time I move around the bands. It provides great SWR on its own, less than 3:1 SWR anywhere I tune, 40m and above is less than 2:1 on average, now I only tune when I'm prepared to sit on a specific frequency. I never thought I could just search the bands to find a QSO or distant DX without having to constantly tune the antenna to get a better signal.

I am very pleased to say that I logged in the farthest DX I have EVER received on 17 meters shortly after setting everything up, a very rare catch out of Singapore, all I was thinking afterward is why I didn't use this antenna from Chameleon Antennas long ago, it is well worth the investment. I now hear distant signals from Australia, New Zealand and all over the world.

This antenna is setup in a small townhome backyard between wifes roses on a 6' tri-pod, the only part showing is part of the vertical whip but blends in after it peeks out of her rose tree, no one really notices it. 2 of the 4 counterpoise wires are spread out, other 2 are rolled up and set on the ground behind a couple evergreen bushes. One is along the fence about 6" off the ground and other is 90 degrees apart along the same height off the ground, 50' of RG8X coax is run into the shack from the hybrid base, which by the way is attached to the tripod with their jawmount, very well built.

This setup produces very little noise, I am all ears finally. I am not a ham, just a hard core monitoring post and have been for many many years, one day I will stop procrastinating and get my ham license, then I can transmit with this setup as well.

If you need to be stealthy this is the setup to consider. The antenna has been setup since July and I don't plan on touching it until I need to. If I was able, the only thing I would do to make it even better is get it higher in the air, I may press my luck and see if I can get away with it in the future but I am over the moon happy the way it is and would recommend Chameleon Antenna Company to others, they are great to deal with and build a solid product.

You can see pictures of my hidden antenna in my wife's garden on the Yahoo Group ChameleonAntenna, I am listed there as ronm67 and pictures are in the attachment section or search for my posts back in July 2015. Thank you for reading my post.

BTW, I am not affiliated with this company, just extremely happy with their product and want others in my situation to know there is a solution without compromise. MonitorNut
KG7TUZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2015 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for a HOA Station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the CH Hybrid + V1L lower + Cap Hat + MIL and counterpoise kit.

I have the antenna mounted on a heavy duty 10 foot photo tripod with 2 additional counterpoise wires. Because of HOA restrictions I have to assemble and disassemble the antenna each evening after use which takes me only about 5 minutes, itís a breeze to stow away

Even in very tough propagation conditions I have been able to reach stations consistently in the 2,000 mile range and have had several DX stations in New Zealand, Australia, Chili and Venezuela running QRP on JT65 and JT9

Carl has helped me all along the way with responsive replies to my novice questions. He even replaced a part even though I purchased the antenna from HRO. All the antenna components are very well built and high quality.
KU6A Rating: 4/5 Aug 23, 2015 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Still evaluating...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've lived in an HOA restricted neighborhood for the past 16 years. When I was first licensed, I made an inverted V fan dipole out of 28AWG silver plated, solid copper wire to get on HF(10m-40m). I'm limited to 60ft antenna length and have to use the peak of my second story roof as a single support 25ft up; elements were tied to the wooden fence on each side of the property with fishing line (inverted V). It worked pretty well but always difficult to hear other stations; EU and AF stations were rare for me. That was 8 years ago and my antenna fell down and the dog ate it (yes, really).

I decided to setup my station again a couple of months ago and ran down to the candy store to buy a G5RV jr. I worked a lot of DX with it but still unable to work 160m and 80m. I also had to buy another antenna tuner because my Kenwood TS-2000 could not match the high SWR of the G5RV jr. Anyway, I was hoping I could find another antenna with better SWR that was less than 60ft long, could work the top bands, and difficult for the HOA Nazis to see in my back yard. I decided to give the CHA Hybrid a try.

The CHA Hybrid is a mobile base that is only water resistant, but since it never rains in southern Kalifornia I felt it wouldn't be a problem. I initially installed the antenna as a sloper with the provided 30ft wire. SWR was less than 3:1 from 160m to 6m. Wow! I've never seen anything like that and was concerned I bought a really expensive dummy load. I installed this antenna on a day when band conditions were extremely bad, but I was able to hear (barely) a station in Florida and S. Cook Islands on 10m; this is good because I rarely hear anything on 10m. For testing, I replaced the 30ft wire with 80ft of 20AWG like an inverted V with an extra 20ft leg running along the top of the fence 6ft above the ground. Again the SWR was <3:1 from 160m to 6m except on a couple of WARC bands, the SWR went up to 4.5:1. In this configuration I found the antenna was extremely noisy and I could barely hear stations above the noise. My assumption was that the 20ft of extra wire was too close to the ground and decided to cut it off. SWR changed and I get 5:1SWR on 160m and <3:1 on 40m to 10m. Most of 6m is 3:1 but can get as high as 5:1. It's OK, I rarely use 6m anyway. So over the next 7 hours I worked 14 DX stations on 15m, 20m, 30m and 40m(mostly Hawaii), New Zealand and S. Cook Islands! (I always have a pipeline into the south pacific) The antenna doesn't seem as noisy as it was during the first installation, but it's still noisy and may be due to band conditions. I did get a (real)signal report from a station 500 miles away on 40m who said I was hitting S5 on his rig using a double bazooka antenna, so I know this CHA Hybrid antenna does radiate. But I also had several "attempted" QSO's on 40m and 80m where the other stations heard me but couldn't make out my call. I've had the antenna for less than 24 hours, so I still haven't decided how well it works in comparison to my old antennas.

I will say this... I have never seen another antenna product made with this level of quality. Wire is wire, but the transformer looks like it was designed to be used in an armored vehicle. Very well made!
KD8IIC Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2015 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Performs Great and Well Built.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got a Hybrid second hand. Put the wire up invee @ 15ft and one counterpoise wire.Tunes and loads FB WARC and HF bands to 80m. Need to add more wire to be effective above 40m but that's an easy feat.
Hybrid is a great investment considering its' versatility as mobile or base in vert, zepp and loop
configurations.Plan to use mine as portable with an auto tuner ultimately.
Very well thought out design and looks indestructibly built. Should outlast me easily.
K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2015 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Works great in low profile set up  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still using Chameleon products for my QTH antennas in a restricted neighborhood. For example, just participated in The Straight Key Century Club (SKCC) end their month (January) long K3Y Special Event. I've participated in this CW event since its inception as an US Area 0 rep, using the call sign K3Y/0. I made 407 QSO and completed what was call a "Grand Sweep" in which you have QSOs in all 10 US Areas (0-9). KH6, KP4, KL7, Africa, Asia, Europe, Canada, Oceania, and South America. My home set up is 2 Chameleon Hybrid antennas, one ground mounted Chameleon with 116' of wire running west to east, over a 31' twin sloped roof to the fence on the other side (116' end fed inverted V with a 31' peak), and the other is a horizontal 33" wire running south to north along the peak of the roof in the attic (end fed 33' horizontal at 31') using a 33' counterpoise. Good results for my circumstances and this SK event. 73, John K0FTC
DL2FDJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2014 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently received a complete Chameleon antenna set consisting of:

- Hybrid Base
- Mil Whip
- Mil Whip Extension
- Counterpoise Set
- Tripot
- RG58 Cable with RF Choke
- Clamp

I purchases this set up for emergency communications with my FT-897D. My focus was on fast deployment, all band capability and rugged design. Well, let me tell you, it took longer to unwrap all the parts of the antenna system then setting it up. I was on the air within 5 minutes!

The quality of the system is superb. All parts fit as they should. My first test was if the LDG tuner on my FT-897D was able to tune the antenna from 80 to 10 meters. It worked without a problem!

So I was eager to actually try it out. First QSO within Germany on 40m worked like a charm. I reached another German OM about 300km west of me with 5/8 on 40m with the 20W supplied by my 897D. This was actually good because the noise level on 40 during the day was really high.

Next test on 20m, a station from EA9 gave me 5/9. Several UA stations all gave me 5/9 as well.

Next test 10m, here the excellent performance continued. Within minutes I was able to work G, EA, OM and OZ and OM. Since I did not buy the antenna system for DX I have not tried any DX yet. For the intended purpose, it works great. I am happy with the system. Ultra portable, fast deployable and rugged design. Thank you Chameleon!

More testing, especially the DX capability, to come...
KD5PGA Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2014 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Versatile!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm moving to a smaller house and lot in a couple of years and need to experiment with different antenna arrangements. The Hybrid provides versatility with horizontal and vertical antenna configurations. I can set up the Hybrid as a NVIS wire 15-ft above the ground one minute and change it into a vertical with my V1 antenna in another minute. The Hybrid provides me with an excellent base for experimentation for current and future antenna needs. Well worth the investment!
W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2014 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Fb on CW & Phone  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since the day I put the antenna up
I have been non stop well until the guy who cuts
my cut lawn also cut the coax with his weed Wacker
Then I ordered new coax and still going,
love this chameleon system

73 DE
KV9WMD Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2014 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Chameleon HYBRID Base   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Use Chameleon HYBRID Base and CHA V2 for mobile and portable NVIS. Love this combo for restricted space.