Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES
CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Reviews: 33 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $225
Description: The Chameleon HYBRID Series is the next generation of Chameleon Antenna. This new generation of antennas and accessories will be fully compatible with almost any previous and future products.

The Chameleon HYBRID design revolves around a specially designed antenna base: the Chameleon HYBRID Base. This special base offers instantaneous bandwidth performance from 6M to 160M which will depend of the selected antenna configuration. The base is mainly designed to fulfill multiple tasks, enhance performances of the antenna system and facilitate antenna installations. It also has an integral broadband impedance matching allowing broadband waveforms to be utilized even after the addition of higher power amplifiers up to 1500W SSB.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES.

KV9WMD Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2014 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Chameleon HYBRID Base   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Use Chameleon HYBRID Base and CHA V2 for mobile and portable NVIS. Love this combo for restricted space.

VE3FAL Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 03:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a number of Chameleon products and am very happy with all of them. The products are well designed and built to withstand some harsh conditions for field deployment.I currently own the Hybrid Base, HyBrid Mini, HyBrid Micro, EMCOMM II, V1 Whip,CHA MIL Whip, CHA CAP Hat and a number of the jaw mounts. The HyBrid base is currently used in a permanent location atop a 15' pole that is grounded, about 180' of wire taken out in a "L" shape with the short end dropping to within 5' of the ground giving me some NVIS use as well. I operate all low to regular power(QRP-100w) and have not seen any issue with heat. A great product built to last.

NU6Y Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2014 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Great small footprint antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I finally decided to install my Hybrid antenna as a permanent base antenna, It sits on my roof at +26' I have Four (4) 25' counterpoise/ground plane wires and I am also grounded to my solar panels. I am using the Hybrid with a V-1 and Mil-Whip attachment. This antenna is quiet and picks up better than any of my Dipoles and wire antenna's. On the transmit side I push up to 400 watts with no problem. It's not a Yagi sitting on a tower but I give it a 5 for what it does based on size and cost

KG6HXN Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2013 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Like This Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Chameleon Hybrid base with the Chameleon Mil whip. It's mounted on the roof about 18 feet above the ground. We have had a lot of high winds lately, but the antenna doesn't seem to mind. First contact with this antenna was to Magadan Russia. This is a good antenna if you don't have a lot of room and or need to keep a low profile. This antenna also lends it self to experimenting if you so choose. Overall i'm happy with this antenna. I think i'm gonna buy A second one to use portable. Thats how much I like it.

W2SOC Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2013 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the HYBRID base, V1L whip and MIL whip for over a year now and still can not understand how this antenna does what it does. It was the star at field day last year, and has been loaned out too many times to count. Everyone who tries it loves it. I'm buying another in the next few weeks to place on a 38' tower. I'll also add a note about the customer service: Unbeatable! My emails have always been answered the same day, even weekends and holidays. I am glad to have purchased something that does what it says!

N5QWA Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Carencro, LA to California...Hybrid Mini  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Another great QSO on 20 meters from Carencro, LA to San Diego, CA! Distance of about 1500 miles. Using the Hybrid Mini with a Yaesu FT897 / LDG AT-897 Tuner. Peak of shack to chimney...mostly NVIS but working great today on long haul.

My second Chameleon, and may consider another for the go bag.

PU2NBU Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2013 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Great performance & flexibility  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During my family vacation at NY City, I ordered the full and complete Chameleon package, taking couple days to receive it at my hotel:

The CHA package was composed by HYBRID + V1L + CHA MIL + CHA CAP-HAT + JAWMOUNT + TRIPOD + HD CARRY BAG + COUNTERPOISES KIT.

After some weeks using it, lots of rx / tx.

Very easy and fast to deploy, very compact to carry in my trailer, work either as a fixed base or portable field antenna, very flexible to switch RF connector to the vertical stick mode (used in higher HF bands) to the slope / horizontal wire mode (used in lower HF bands), and my LDG YT 450 tuner handles all bands.

Perform is quite similar to my Comet CHA250B.

If you like to go HF portable or have it at your backyard or around your swimming pool, this CHA package is very convenient and will put you on air!

73!

G7VZS Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2013 11:12 Send this review to a friend
outstanding stelth antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed an antenna that would not upset the neighbours. So after reading about this antenna on eham. I must admit I was sceptical.
But after emailing the company many times. I got lots of emails back giving me advice on how I would fit it. I finished up with the hybrid 30 ft up on my chimney running a 81 ft wire across the street to a old disused GPO ceramic isolater pot. And it really does work a treat. Tuning it with my Z11 PRO 2. 160 - 80 METER SWR READS 2. And 40- 10 METER SWR READS 1.5. Across all the bands.
Works much better than I thought it would. And looks just like a telephone wire. And no verticals or radials.

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2013 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Chameleon Hybrid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been playing with the ARRL 160 meter CW contest this morning. In just a few hours I've got 110 QSOs with 30 different AARL sections. About 25 different states, east coast, west coast, north and south. Canada, Mexico, and .... HI. Two HI QSO's on a 75' foot wire thrown over the peak of the roof on 160 meters, that's amazing to me. Anyway, it is my Chameleon Hybrid and random 75'/25' wire and 100 watts and it just continues to perform. I've also been doing the SKCC K3Y SK special event as a K3Y/0 operator - folks try to fill in all Sections for all bands as well as Asia, Africa, PR, and other places. Anyway, I work all HF bands, including 6 and 160, and closing in on 400 QSOs using that random wire and my Hybrid vertical. And it is always satisfying to tell the op that sure, I can meet them (anywhere) so that they can keep filling in those /0 slots. Not that the QSO always happens (propagation sometimes is just not there), but the ability to be so flexible in responding to frequency requests is because I've got a couple of Chameleon Hybrids that allow me to operate anywhere on the HF bands. 73, John K0FTC

N4DOV Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2013 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Nearly 1000 contacts in 9 months  Time owned: more than 12 months

Some of us seem to have good success with our Chameleon products. I am fully aware that this for me is a compromise antenna and I am sure expectations, location, setup, power amongst many things plays a part in ones success. A few seem to struggle with contacts, so I decided to look at those bands where for me the Chameleon is my exclusive antenna, mainly 12 and 17 meters. I have made contacts on 10, 15, 20, and 40 as well, but do use my other antennas also. I should add that I was using a commercial WARC vertical, but it was too noisy and replaced it with the Chameleon set-up. So getting back to my Chameleon contacts on 12 and 17 meters, these are my SSB/phone results over a 9 month period :

17 meters: 710 contacts
12 meters: 147 contacts

17 meters 100 watts or less : 77 countries
100 watts or less : 36 states
total with amplifier: 97 countries
total with amplifier: 39 states

12 meters 100 watts or less : 35 countries
total with amplifier: 54 countries

My contacts include all the continents (the Far East and the Pacific being harder from my location, most require the amplifier). All contacts SSB/phone (last time I had a CW contact was about 1994 I think) - I am not a DX or State chaser, just a ragchewer. These contacts are with my various Chameleon configurations, but mostly with hybrid-V1 base-milwhip. My latest is hybrid-32 inch extension-V1L base-caphat-milwhip, which puts the length at 17 foot, all hidden in the trees, at about 14 foot above ground with 4 elevated counterpoises. I have used up to 500 watts power, without any problems.
I hope all have success, there is no perfect antenna for many of us with some form of restrictions, but the Chameleon Hybrid has exceded my expectations and the money spent for me, has been very worthwhile.