Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES
CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Reviews: 49 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $225
Description: The Chameleon HYBRID Series is the next generation of Chameleon Antenna. This new generation of antennas and accessories will be fully compatible with almost any previous and future products.

The Chameleon HYBRID design revolves around a specially designed antenna base: the Chameleon HYBRID Base. This special base offers instantaneous bandwidth performance from 6M to 160M which will depend of the selected antenna configuration. The base is mainly designed to fulfill multiple tasks, enhance performances of the antenna system and facilitate antenna installations. It also has an integral broadband impedance matching allowing broadband waveforms to be utilized even after the addition of higher power amplifiers up to 1500W SSB.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES.

N1NQ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Hybrid Mini  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can't beat it, stealthy, compact, great construction. Works better than other verticals that I have used.
I now use it as part of a phased array.

WG9O Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2017 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Mini Hybrid  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a mini hybrid with an RF choke setup as a sloper. Works well for me since I have HOA restrictions.

K2LAX Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2017 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Multi-Wire Experiment Works   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have my setup using 3 wires from a single CHAMELEON HYBRID. 2 Wires run East-West 41' & 18' length from 12' AGL 50' AGL , and a North-South 92' wire from 12' AGL to 65' AGL. I cover 6-160 meters with an acceptable non-tuned SRW below 2.5 that my ACOM 1010 amplifier easily is tuned to. See contact map on QRZ.COM

KG7OOM Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2017 09:41 Send this review to a friend
GReat antenna, well made  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Made the big mistake getting the PVC competitor's model prior to getting my first Chameleon Antenna. With the Chameleon Antenna, I am able to get a far much-improved signal. The quality of materials and the craftsmanship truly shows that Chameleon pays close attention to detail.

Components are of high and durable quality. They are light enough to carry in your backpack for SOTA missions.

With this antenna, I was able to make a contact 2300 miles away from my QTH within 10 minutes of setting everything up and sitting in front of my portable rig. My QTH has a lot of noise and with the competitors model, I could not hear anything while up at 28 ft from the ground. Upon installing my Chameleon, 28 ft up in the back yard by using my aluminum pole mast, I am able to hear stations down in the noise. With some tweaking on the knobs of my rig, I am able to make out what the other station is saying thus adding another QSO to my log.

Chameleon antennas are reasonably priced and made of quality lasting materials. You will not regret getting one.

I am sold on Chameleon. Well made antennas. I will be trying out one of the mag loops soon.

Thank you Chameleon for the great products.

K2LAX Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2016 05:04 Send this review to a friend
Multi Wire Capable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The hybrid micro is permanently mounted on my garage peak at 15' from ground. I am running 2 wires to a tree at about 45'. I have a pulley system on tree to raise and lower antenna for maintenance. After experimenting exhaustively with various wire lengths my latest install has got me on all bands without need for tuner. Long wire is 42', short wire is 25'. I use pec for spacing of 1'. Wire run NE>SW. Getting great signal reports with only 100W!!

N4KGL Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2016 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Rugged and Versatile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I operate outdoors portable and sometimes moveable (Rapid Deployment Amateur Radio aka RaDAR). I have used the CHA Hybrid Micro in conjunction with several other Chameleon products. That gives me lots of versatility. I took an opportunity to buy the Hybrid on special. It handles more power than the Hybrid Micro so I do not have to worry about running 100 watts CW. The size is larger than the Hybrid Micro but it has not been an issue. There many possible configurations outlined in the Chameleon user manual. I had good luck with the base and the Hybrid base on the beach recently. I use it with the internal tuner on my Elecraft KX3 and the LDG external tuner for my Icom 7100. I would take a look at this antenna for RaDAR, EMCOMM,and Field Day use.

N4DOV Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2015 19:37 Send this review to a friend
4 years permanent installation  Time owned: more than 12 months
FOR 4 YEARS, I have had a Chameleon Vertical Antenna hidden in a large tree next to my home. Chameleon Hybrid Base with a vertical element of 16ft 8inches (Chameleon Mil-whip and 6ft extension sealed and wrapped and taped green) with 4 X 25ft counterpoises.
PERFORMANCE from my various Chameleon Antennas has been exemplary. Nearly 1000, mostly phone QSOs and 70 countries. Compares very favorably to my other antennas. 1-2 S units against my beam and dipole usually.
THE CHAMELEON ANTENNA company produces high end quality products. I have reviewed the antennas before and been active on the various forums and been accused of being a spokesman or owner of the company "in disguise". This I consider an honor!
FINALLY, I do own a lot of Chameleon products, because they work exceedingly well for me. Also I use a variety of configurations for Portable and QRP, including Hybrid Mini, V1L elements, often as a V-Dipole with the Chameleon Transmatch.
CARL, KI6TRA, the owner, is like his products, a quality person, innovative, helpful, always available to answer any questions and supports his products to the highest standards in the industry. A real joy to buy from.

CRACKERJOHN Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2015 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I moved to a HOA and couldn't put up an antenna. My friend suggested this antenna. It was easy to put up and my first contact was California. I wish I found this antenna years ago.

MONITORNUT Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2015 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic! Chameleon Antennas Rock  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am using the CH Hybrid + V2L lower + Cap Hat + another 8.5' Mil type antenna and 4 counterpoise wires on a 6' camera tripod.

Let me start out by saying I've tried many different antennas and NONE have worked like the Chameleon Hybrid setup I now have. I also use an antenna tuner as I tune around a lot as a ham/utility dx'er, however, after I put this antenna system together I don't use it as much anymore. The Hybrid is built extremely well and is waterproof, will last a lifetime, the magic is inside the hybrid base, I no longer need to tune my antenna tuner each time I move around the bands. It provides great SWR on its own, less than 3:1 SWR anywhere I tune, 40m and above is less than 2:1 on average, now I only tune when I'm prepared to sit on a specific frequency. I never thought I could just search the bands to find a QSO or distant DX without having to constantly tune the antenna to get a better signal.

I am very pleased to say that I logged in the farthest DX I have EVER received on 17 meters shortly after setting everything up, a very rare catch out of Singapore, all I was thinking afterward is why I didn't use this antenna from Chameleon Antennas long ago, it is well worth the investment. I now hear distant signals from Australia, New Zealand and all over the world.

This antenna is setup in a small townhome backyard between wifes roses on a 6' tri-pod, the only part showing is part of the vertical whip but blends in after it peeks out of her rose tree, no one really notices it. 2 of the 4 counterpoise wires are spread out, other 2 are rolled up and set on the ground behind a couple evergreen bushes. One is along the fence about 6" off the ground and other is 90 degrees apart along the same height off the ground, 50' of RG8X coax is run into the shack from the hybrid base, which by the way is attached to the tripod with their jawmount, very well built.

This setup produces very little noise, I am all ears finally. I am not a ham, just a hard core monitoring post and have been for many many years, one day I will stop procrastinating and get my ham license, then I can transmit with this setup as well.

If you need to be stealthy this is the setup to consider. The antenna has been setup since July and I don't plan on touching it until I need to. If I was able, the only thing I would do to make it even better is get it higher in the air, I may press my luck and see if I can get away with it in the future but I am over the moon happy the way it is and would recommend Chameleon Antenna Company to others, they are great to deal with and build a solid product.

You can see pictures of my hidden antenna in my wife's garden on the Yahoo Group ChameleonAntenna, I am listed there as ronm67 and pictures are in the attachment section or search for my posts back in July 2015. Thank you for reading my post.

BTW, I am not affiliated with this company, just extremely happy with their product and want others in my situation to know there is a solution without compromise. MonitorNut

KG7TUZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2015 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for a HOA Station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the CH Hybrid + V1L lower + Cap Hat + MIL and counterpoise kit.

I have the antenna mounted on a heavy duty 10 foot photo tripod with 2 additional counterpoise wires. Because of HOA restrictions I have to assemble and disassemble the antenna each evening after use which takes me only about 5 minutes, itís a breeze to stow away

Even in very tough propagation conditions I have been able to reach stations consistently in the 2,000 mile range and have had several DX stations in New Zealand, Australia, Chili and Venezuela running QRP on JT65 and JT9

Carl has helped me all along the way with responsive replies to my novice questions. He even replaced a part even though I purchased the antenna from HRO. All the antenna components are very well built and high quality.