Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES
CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Reviews: 31 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $225
Description: The Chameleon HYBRID Series is the next generation of Chameleon Antenna. This new generation of antennas and accessories will be fully compatible with almost any previous and future products.

The Chameleon HYBRID design revolves around a specially designed antenna base: the Chameleon HYBRID Base. This special base offers instantaneous bandwidth performance from 6M to 160M which will depend of the selected antenna configuration. The base is mainly designed to fulfill multiple tasks, enhance performances of the antenna system and facilitate antenna installations. It also has an integral broadband impedance matching allowing broadband waveforms to be utilized even after the addition of higher power amplifiers up to 1500W SSB.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES.

WB7DXA Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2012 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Works great on the boat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the Hybrid as well as the new Mil antenna and they worked great while I was MM. Easy to setup. Loaded up easily, <1.2 SWR, and was able to get on 20 and 40. Haven't tried the other bands yet. Running 100 W barefoot.

K6UDW Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2012 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Hybrid Install Under V2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After receiving my Hybrid, I mounted the new Hybrid on my Tacoma, a low mount as to get in under the garage door without removing the V-2. I had to forego the 4 inch spring in my design just to get the V-2 under the door. With the V-2 attached to the Hybrid I picked at least 1 S-unit on reception of the same signals and overall my auto tuner doesn't seem to be working as long to tune a good SWR. If I swap out the V-2 for the Mil Whip I pick up at least 2 more S-Units. One station on 7.235 jumped from S-7 to S-40 just by switching between V-2 and Mil Whip both with the Hybrid for the base. Either way reception is much better all around with the Hybrid and signal reports are better than without it as well. I am a happy camper!

KD0JOF Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Incredible  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one incredible little tube of magic. I have it installed in a pretty precarious way with the Hybrid mounted on the side of the house at 1' above ground and the 30' end feed wire (that comes with it) tied up about 10' in a tree. In this configuration the SWR is pretty bad but it doesn't seem to matter.

I previously had a 24' vertical mounted on a fence 5' above ground and the Hybrid blows it away. With the vertical my farthest contact was Mexico City from Boulder, CO. Yesterday with the Hybrid I was making contacts all across South America and one contact in Japan at 5900 miles from my QTH. All on 15w. I can't wait to get this installed better and use some of the other configurations that are available. If you get one you will not be disappointed.

VK2FABB Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 00:00 Send this review to a friend
Versatile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are many reasons why the Hybrid is a great foundation antenna when space is a consideration.

For me, I live in an apartment and after receiving complaints from neighbours for the 16 ft vertical, I needed something that I could easily put up and take down. But, what I have found is that the Hybrid with the included 30 ft end feed is something I can keep up. I have a 45 ft long balcony, so I have been able to keep it up, and it goes largely noticed by may neighbours. It is true the antenna would be better in the clear, but while other Sydney apartment hams have trouble getting heard in Sydney, I managed to work a Station near Adelaide in South Australia (1400 KM), and can hear South America, Japan, & Indonesia. If I could throw it out to something, that would help, but nothing is available. I am hoping to add a Zepp to the hybrid to add to performance.

That is the great thing about the hybrid, you can add a vertical whip or mil, or both.

Additionally, I bought a jaw clamp so I have easily put the hybrid up anywhere and no ground is needed. I am looking forward to taking camping at Easter.

PJ2LS Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2012 03:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yesterday I received the antenna,the first impression was the great quality of all materials. I could not wait so make a fast setup in my backyard. Put a tripod and a 3 meter pole on it and connect the Hybrid, Mil whip together. Fist contact under poor conditions at 17 meter was Florida ( 5/8 )report, the second on 17M was Guantanamo Bay ( 5/9+ ). What a fun, no ground radials, just 3 meters above the ground. Amazed ?? Yes, I made several tests with other antennas in the same position in the backyard and under far more better conditions, but this antenna amazed me. In the coming days I will test the antenna in different setups and on other locations and will make a report about it.
Before I forget, Carl is a great communicator, he answer on all my questions very fast and clear in his explanation.

73' Louis
PJ2LS

N6OG Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2012 01:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my second Chameleon Hybrid base with the Mil whip. I had the antenna within 2 days of placing my order.

I installed my first Hybrid base on a mirror bracket mounted to a piece of 1/2" copper pipe which I pounded into the ground with the base being at 2' above the ground using a 102" CB whip attached to the spring that I had laying around. I tested the antenna on the air from 2-30 mHz with good results but not anything special. Using an LDG AT-200 Pro antenna tuner I was able to match the antenna across the band with HF ALE and the highest SWR at 1.7:1 at around 2 mHz. The antenna performed just under my Comet vertical at 35' above ground. Next I replaced the 102" whip with the 30' wire the antenna base came with. I slopped the high end up to the corner of my fence while the low end was still at two feet. Much better results. At this point the antenna was performing as good as the Comet still at a much lower level. Next I raised the low end up to about 10' above the ground by mounting the Hybrid base to the top of my heavy duty tripod. Amazing results. This antenna really shined at 20mtrs, but all across the band it now outperformed the Comet still 35' higher up.

I now have a V1, V2 and Mil Whips along with (2) hybrid bases. All of the produces are well made and should last a life time under active use.. The company has great customer service with any technical question I have answered quickly using their forum located at the companies webpage.

These antennas have worked great for me as a portable and as a limited space base antenna.

KC7ZWG Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2012 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I now have two of these HYBRID units, they are excellent for home/mobile/portable use.

I had an inverted-v at 33ft to the apex, the HYBRID with the MIL (also a Chameleon Antenna product) and the HYBRID/MIL combo has now replaced my ugly and huge dipole.

I am actually getting better reports with my HYBRID at 20ft above ground then the G5RV.

My HYBRID is installed as a vertical, and has a much lower noise floor as well.

I know it is hard to believe that this could out-perform my G5RV at 33% lower height, but it is.

Also, Chameleon Antennas has a forum that has shortened any learning curves that I have come across, as well as giving me new ideas for various installations and use.

Communications from Chameleon Antenna's is top notch, all of my questions are always answered within 24 hours, and shipping was only two days.

I also ordered two more times and have repeated excellent communications and shipping experience.

So there you go... Excellent product, support forum with real users, great communications, expedited shipping.

Works for me!

KC2NBE Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2012 15:44 Send this review to a friend
FOLLOW UP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On a recent road trip, I used the Chameleon Hybrid and V2L combo on a Mobile NVIS Test set-up. I had arranged for several friends to give it a try. I had three stations actually participate and here are my results:

Brooklyn to Hancock NY, 40 meters QRP from a Buddipole in Brooklyn to my Mobile in Hancock: 2/2 on the Buddipole...Chameleon in Hancock to Buddipole in Brooklyn: 20 watts got a 4/5 report.

Brooklyn to Rochester NY, 40 meters Brooklyn QRP, Non NVIS set up (station had a Carolina Windom)
got a 2/2 Report... got a 4/5 to 5/5 report for Chameleon on an NVIS set up to Brooklyn on 20 watts.

But this is the kicker for me...
I drive a Hybrid. Notorious for RFI/EMI...I was able to have a QSO on 80 meters with 0 to 2 noise level for the first time with the engine running!

Am I happy??? Oh yeah! Hope to get more stations to do the test with me next time. I will update then...73!

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2012 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Hybrid as portable end-fed/vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I posted the following on the Chameleon forum with pictures. Again, 5 for quality, 5 for customer service, and 5 for performance that meets/exceeds expectations. "I recieved my second Hybrid from Chameleon on Wednesday and went out to the Pawnee National Grasslands here in Colorado at dark-thirty to do a portable set and see how it performs. I used the jaw mount on a tripod with legs almost flat to the ground. I used my counterpoise kit from my V1, I ran a ground wire to the Jackit mount that was driven into the ground, and since I was using my own random wire at my home for the other Hybrid I own, I ran my extra 30' wire out as a radial also. I removed the rubber grommets on the antenna mounts and replaced them with stainless washers, thus when the Hybrid was mounted the bottom of it went to the radials and ground I just described. I placed a mounted 31' Jackite fiberglass pole and it was just about the excact right heighth for the 30' wire provided with the Hybrid. It tuned all bands 160 to 10 (60 excluded). Pictures of the set up are below. I did propagation tests using Reverse Beacon Network with 3 sets of CQ RBN CQ CQ DE K0FTC K0FTC RBN on each band of interest at 50 watts, once at 1530 UTC (0830 MST) and once at 1730 UTC (1030 MST) (40 mtrs only done at 1530). This portable set up was picked up on 40 mtrs in WV, PA, CO, UT, and NV, on 20 mts - WI, WV, NV, NH, NC, PA, AK, on 15 mtrs - Virgin Islands, PA, NH, GA, MA, WV, OH, NC, AK, on 12 mtrs - WV, PA, Curacao, on 10 mtrs- NH, PA, MA, WV. I did work straight key CW for about and hour and a half, with interest in the SKCC Special Event (K3Y) and worked Spain, France, MA, MI, and LA. I made one paddle contact with France. These are very casual non-contest type contacts. Deployment was a breeze, spent about 30 minutes in a non-hurried - first time fashion, and it all came down and was packed away in about 15 minutes (of course the wind was about 50 mph and it frooze the fingers by this time - so it was taken down with more urgency then the set up -HI). I was impressed enough with the Hybrid at home and am glad I got another for my original purpose of using it for portable set ups. Great job Chameleon. 73, John"

KF7PDV Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2011 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Chameleon Hybrid NVIS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used the HYBRID and 30' wire in an NVIS configuration for 40/80m at 10'on a tripod in a RACES event. The system performed well, yielding results within approx. 300 mile radius with a tuner. SWR was 1:2 on both bands. Even picked up some east coast and Florida contacts!
The hardware is first rate, well designed and very flexible. Much easier to erect and configure than a straight wire antenna and much faster.
Intend using as a vertical with the MIL whip antenna in another RACES event.