Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES
CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Reviews: 38 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $225
Description: The Chameleon HYBRID Series is the next generation of Chameleon Antenna. This new generation of antennas and accessories will be fully compatible with almost any previous and future products.

The Chameleon HYBRID design revolves around a specially designed antenna base: the Chameleon HYBRID Base. This special base offers instantaneous bandwidth performance from 6M to 160M which will depend of the selected antenna configuration. The base is mainly designed to fulfill multiple tasks, enhance performances of the antenna system and facilitate antenna installations. It also has an integral broadband impedance matching allowing broadband waveforms to be utilized even after the addition of higher power amplifiers up to 1500W SSB.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES.

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2012 10:58 Send this review to a friend
may need a second HYBRID, i have more ideas  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have ordered the HYBRID with the 30 feet of wire
although i did not use the 30 feet of wire that was supplied with the kit, i used 84 feet of wire in several configurations and all have awesome result, my latest config was splice in on top a section of wire 41 feet to one side and a second side as well ( thinking of adding a 3rd leg.. hmmmm) this all soldered to a 46 feet of vertical wire and lots of counterpoise i been making contacts from 160 to 6 meters, from 1200 miles to 7900 miles all with no problem, thinking of getting a second HYBRID i have some other ideas, highly recommend Carl's products

N4DOV Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 20:43 Send this review to a friend
The longest Chameleon non-wire antenna   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have written a number of reviews of Chameleon products. I have no involvement or personally know the company, however they have taken quite a bit of money from me in return for their products, which have allowed me to enjoy restricted radio activities. Needless to say, I am thus biased! Thus as new products hit the market, I try them.
This review is about the Chameleon-hybrid impedance matching network base with the new V1L( the core of which is made from aerospace alloy, not fiberglass) base section with the new Chameleon Capacitance Cap and "topped" off with the Chameleon Mil-Whip (also made from aerospace alloy). This is the longest Chameleon non-wire antenna setup, about 15 foot in length, which I have mounted to the eave of my roof at 14 feet above the ground in a semi-permanent fashion. Can be taken down in a few minutes and be reconfigured for portable or mobile use vey quickly.
The antenna is very durable and so far has withstood a number of storms and winds. Of all the different Chameleon antenna setups, this is the most successful for me. With some power I can hold a frequency for a couple of hours bands being open of course.DX contacts and rag-chewing is a daily event even on some of the worst days/conditions.On occassion, I have used up to 800 watts without problem and with low SWR is easily tuned if needed. Now it is easy to Dx to Europe from the east coast, but today I had contact with India on SSB/phone on 20 meters. Antenna works well on 10 and 12 meters (not much activity though)15, 17(where for me it really shines), 20 and at times 40 meters (my 31ft wire fishing-pole Chameleon-Hybrid base antenna does better). Some may say I have spent a lot of money on something I can cheaply homebrew, well I cannot produce such a well made good looking combination and that works so well and that can be permanent, portable or mobile (with the V1L upper element).
P.S. I have never got results from a coat hangar or noodle !

KA3NXN Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

This is a well made piece of equipment. I am using the Hybrid along wit a Chameleon V1L mobile antenna on my truck. I just got rid of a HI-Q antenna because the motor quit on me. This setup definitely outperforms the HI-Q
Hooked up my home brew manual tuner this evening. On 18.145MHz I landed my first contact and what a doozy it was!!!!! A rare Dxpedition, this is one for the books……………..7O6T Received a 59 from them and I was getting them at 10 over S9. Setup is a Kenwood TS-50 with a home made manual tuner and the Chameleon V1l with the Hybrid base, all only running 100 watts. I'm elated with the ease of setup and performance. With the home made tuner it tunes from 160-2 meters inclusive. I have a Kuranichi laboratory grade SWR/Impedance analyzer and I was able to get a flat match through out the entire range of the analyzer, which is from 1-170MHz. I am impressed. I have already told my friend who also has a broken HI-Q to make the switch. I'm sold and I'll be recommending these to all my friends. Fantastic job, Carl. Great engineering and excellent production and manufacturing.

N9SWR Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2012 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I mounted the Hybrid Base/MIl Whip configuration on a 10 ft pole about 4 ft away from the side of the house. Using an FT-897 at 100w trough 100 ft of RG-8x I had no problem contacting EI9JU 3823.2 miles away. Who says verticals don't work??

PJ2LS Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Results  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Yesterday ( March, 31, 2012 ) I made a test setup for the coming Lighthouse event August 18th. I made the setup on the North-coast of Curacao Island at 200 meters away from the Caribbean sea. Using a military pole and tripod with the Chameleon Hybrid and Military whip and four radials. Equipment I used is a Yaesu FT897, Expert 1K amp running on generator power.
Conditions on 17 meters where not the best at 13:00 utc, but a little later the band was open for me, with 400 watts I was working to Finland, Italy, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Croatia, Canada and several stations in the US. Reports variate from S5 to 10db over 9. You can imagine how happy I was with this result.After one hour I stopped because the temperature was getting to high for me. The Chameleon Hybrid is a great antenna, simple and fast to setup.

N4DOV Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2012 21:30 Send this review to a friend
why does it work so well?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There are about 100 reviews in the last 2 years about Chameleon Antennas. Why?. I do not believe there are any other antennas that are so small yet so big on performance.
I have had so much fun and amazing success with different configurations of the V1/V11/hybrid. I have had 100s of contacts with Europe, North Africa, South Africa, Pacific and Australia with 100 watts and the Chameleon.
But it is the Hybrid series with the V1 base and a 8ft whip that has been the best. Have it attached with angle iron to the eve of my roof at 14 feet and hidden in the trees in a densely and closely populated neighborhood, with 4 counterpoise wires and well grounded.
Sure its easy to Dx from the east coast , but in recent bad conditions and a 100 watts I have been very successful as well frequent stateside contacts. On rare occasions have used up to 800 watts without any problems.
The antenna is quieter than my my 34ft long rotatable dipole and Warc-vertical and hears the same or 1-2s units better depending on the band. The antenna covers 6-160m with low SWR easily handled by any tuner.
This is the perfect antenna for those in restricted neighborhoods, or for those looking for an easy antenna setup, or portable or mobile use, and makes an incredible receiving antenna as well.
Sure its not a yagi or a 43ft vertical with 40 ground radials, but why this 12ft vertical with hybrid base works so well, has dumbfounded me, but I am enjoying the "magic"!. Maybe sometimes size does not matter !

K5TCP Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2012 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased 2 hybrids, 2 V1 and one MIL whip with various accessories. Great customer service by Carl. Set up one hybrid and the MIL whip on an outbacker tripod next to my pool and attached 3 radials out of one of the radial package I ordered. Worked the following from my QTH north of Dallas, TX during the contest this weekend:
Australia, Hawaii, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Cape Verde Island, Madera Island and several stations in the Caribbean. Heard stations from Japan and several European countries as well with strong signals. Also worked some US stations (coast to coast) prior to the contest. Max output on my end was 100 watts. VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS and looking forward to using the hybrid / v1 combo mobile as well as the hybrid / long wire combo in the near future. If you are thinking about this hybrid STOP!!! Just buy it and have fun! Used an outbacker Outreach 500 before. That antenna is now retired! Band changes with the new setup are great. No more going outside to change the band settings on the outbacker. Yaesu FC-30 tuner on my Yaesu FT-897 worked fine to tune the hybrid / MIL whip combo (80-10). Also the setup was only about 3 feet off the ground and next to my 8 ft fence on one side. Longest distance covered sofar was over 8000 miles!!!

WB7DXA Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2012 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Works great on the boat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the Hybrid as well as the new Mil antenna and they worked great while I was MM. Easy to setup. Loaded up easily, <1.2 SWR, and was able to get on 20 and 40. Haven't tried the other bands yet. Running 100 W barefoot.

K6UDW Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2012 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Hybrid Install Under V2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After receiving my Hybrid, I mounted the new Hybrid on my Tacoma, a low mount as to get in under the garage door without removing the V-2. I had to forego the 4 inch spring in my design just to get the V-2 under the door. With the V-2 attached to the Hybrid I picked at least 1 S-unit on reception of the same signals and overall my auto tuner doesn't seem to be working as long to tune a good SWR. If I swap out the V-2 for the Mil Whip I pick up at least 2 more S-Units. One station on 7.235 jumped from S-7 to S-40 just by switching between V-2 and Mil Whip both with the Hybrid for the base. Either way reception is much better all around with the Hybrid and signal reports are better than without it as well. I am a happy camper!

KD0JOF Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Incredible  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one incredible little tube of magic. I have it installed in a pretty precarious way with the Hybrid mounted on the side of the house at 1' above ground and the 30' end feed wire (that comes with it) tied up about 10' in a tree. In this configuration the SWR is pretty bad but it doesn't seem to matter.

I previously had a 24' vertical mounted on a fence 5' above ground and the Hybrid blows it away. With the vertical my farthest contact was Mexico City from Boulder, CO. Yesterday with the Hybrid I was making contacts all across South America and one contact in Japan at 5900 miles from my QTH. All on 15w. I can't wait to get this installed better and use some of the other configurations that are available. If you get one you will not be disappointed.