Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES
CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES Reviews: 45 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $225
Description: The Chameleon HYBRID Series is the next generation of Chameleon Antenna. This new generation of antennas and accessories will be fully compatible with almost any previous and future products.

The Chameleon HYBRID design revolves around a specially designed antenna base: the Chameleon HYBRID Base. This special base offers instantaneous bandwidth performance from 6M to 160M which will depend of the selected antenna configuration. The base is mainly designed to fulfill multiple tasks, enhance performances of the antenna system and facilitate antenna installations. It also has an integral broadband impedance matching allowing broadband waveforms to be utilized even after the addition of higher power amplifiers up to 1500W SSB.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON HYBRID SERIES.

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2013 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Chameleon Hybrid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been playing with the ARRL 160 meter CW contest this morning. In just a few hours I've got 110 QSOs with 30 different AARL sections. About 25 different states, east coast, west coast, north and south. Canada, Mexico, and .... HI. Two HI QSO's on a 75' foot wire thrown over the peak of the roof on 160 meters, that's amazing to me. Anyway, it is my Chameleon Hybrid and random 75'/25' wire and 100 watts and it just continues to perform. I've also been doing the SKCC K3Y SK special event as a K3Y/0 operator - folks try to fill in all Sections for all bands as well as Asia, Africa, PR, and other places. Anyway, I work all HF bands, including 6 and 160, and closing in on 400 QSOs using that random wire and my Hybrid vertical. And it is always satisfying to tell the op that sure, I can meet them (anywhere) so that they can keep filling in those /0 slots. Not that the QSO always happens (propagation sometimes is just not there), but the ability to be so flexible in responding to frequency requests is because I've got a couple of Chameleon Hybrids that allow me to operate anywhere on the HF bands. 73, John K0FTC

N4DOV Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2013 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Nearly 1000 contacts in 9 months  Time owned: more than 12 months

Some of us seem to have good success with our Chameleon products. I am fully aware that this for me is a compromise antenna and I am sure expectations, location, setup, power amongst many things plays a part in ones success. A few seem to struggle with contacts, so I decided to look at those bands where for me the Chameleon is my exclusive antenna, mainly 12 and 17 meters. I have made contacts on 10, 15, 20, and 40 as well, but do use my other antennas also. I should add that I was using a commercial WARC vertical, but it was too noisy and replaced it with the Chameleon set-up. So getting back to my Chameleon contacts on 12 and 17 meters, these are my SSB/phone results over a 9 month period :

17 meters: 710 contacts
12 meters: 147 contacts

17 meters 100 watts or less : 77 countries
100 watts or less : 36 states
total with amplifier: 97 countries
total with amplifier: 39 states

12 meters 100 watts or less : 35 countries
total with amplifier: 54 countries

My contacts include all the continents (the Far East and the Pacific being harder from my location, most require the amplifier). All contacts SSB/phone (last time I had a CW contact was about 1994 I think) - I am not a DX or State chaser, just a ragchewer. These contacts are with my various Chameleon configurations, but mostly with hybrid-V1 base-milwhip. My latest is hybrid-32 inch extension-V1L base-caphat-milwhip, which puts the length at 17 foot, all hidden in the trees, at about 14 foot above ground with 4 elevated counterpoises. I have used up to 500 watts power, without any problems.
I hope all have success, there is no perfect antenna for many of us with some form of restrictions, but the Chameleon Hybrid has exceded my expectations and the money spent for me, has been very worthwhile.

AF6SW Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2013 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Start of a multi-band phased array  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking to build the 'one-ring' of portable antennas. Something that could work all bands and be set up in a phased array for directing my energy and steering nulls onto sources of interference. To make such a product viable you would need phasing harness, and to set the two verticals at different specific distances, and a low Xs or said better, wide band resonance. Today I finally got to play with the gift from the XYL. I am in love. Little does she know that a second one will be on my birthday wish list... One for the Jeep, the other on a tripod, changing bands or steering the null becomes a snap! (not to mention the NVIS capability for ECOM work) I used a MFJ manual analyzer and set up the antenna on a mag-mount, on top of the BBQ. This setup would represent about the worst possible ground, thus show me the least resonance. to my utter surprise, Xs was never over 24, with the SWR being all over the map as expected. Next I plugged it into my little LDG and attached the IC7000, a good mobile setup. It tuned up on all bands from 10M down (did not try anything else) and I was able to hear a AK station here in Oakland Ca. (a first for my QTH) Anyone thinking they should buy a bunch of 'ham sticks' should seriously look at the Chameleon products, much better construction, and better suited for advanced antenna phase systems.

VE7GNR Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Great base for longwire or vertical antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Garnet Ryder, VE7GNR

Icom 703 Plus (HF+6M 10W QRP transceiver)

Used as Chameleon Hybrid base + 34 wire at first. Worked very well, I simply tossed wire over edge of rooftop deck (4th floor) to hang. Also took to park to hang from tree branch approx 10ft from ground.

Mostly use Hybrid base + Chameleon V1L base + MIL Whip + 2 counterpoises/radials mounted on top of a 5ft aluminum pole.

Anyone looking for a simple, easy to use antenna system should consider the V1L + MIL whip + Hybrid base!

I live in a condo on the top floor (4th floor) with a rooftop deck. HOA rules prevent me from putting up a permanent antenna. I have the coax, mount & antenna on a 5ft painter's pole. When I want to use the antenna I simply connect the V1L base & MIL whip to the pole mount and clip into brackets on my deck for the evening/afternoon.

My Chameleon antenna operates as an elevated vertical. Radials are hanging over slanted roof & over the edge to hang. I'd like to have more radials, but can't because I don't have rooftop access or permission.

Weekend of 20-21 Oct 2012 on 10M SSB with 10W.
Spoke from Vancouver, BC, Canada to Chicago OH, St. Louis MO, Kansas City KS & Paris TX.
Signals were 59, loud & clear.

The best feature is that I don't have to do anything at the antenna when switching bands. I simply change bands on my radio & adjust the antenna tuner for the band.

I also love how portable this antenna is because it allows me to take to park in the summer, or hiking/camping, or setup at a friend's house during a contest.

VE7GNR Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Simple & effective vertical antenna base.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Garnet Ryder, VE7GNR

Icom 703 Plus (HF+6M 10W QRP transceiver)
Chameleon V1L base + MIL Whip + Hybrid base + 2 counterpoises/radials mounted on top of a 5ft aluminum pole.

Weekend of 20-21 Oct 2012 on 10M SSB with 10W.
Signals were 59, loud & clear.

KC2NBE Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2012 12:17 Send this review to a friend
NY to CALIFORNIA  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had my Chameleon Hybrid+ V2L combo on an NVIS set up in my Prius just in time for the California QSO Party. Wasn't surprised that I was working regional stations only (East Coast 400 mile radius) on 40 meters. The surprise was on 20 meters. Logged 7 California Contacts average 2500 mile distance, 100 watts. I wasn't on contesting mode, just getting on the air in between Family time. LOVE THIS COMBO!

KF7IWZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2012 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna system!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the hybrid as I had a need for a versatile all around antenna that I could put up anytime anywhere. I was so impressed with the hybrid and its flexibility that I now have two.

I have found for me that I can run one vertical and the other horizontal on the same tripod mount and never run out of opportunities. I can't say that it is the best antenna for any particular situation.

But I am comfortable that I can make it work in any situation, on any frequency from 6 to 160m and that is just what I was looking for.

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2012 10:58 Send this review to a friend
may need a second HYBRID, i have more ideas  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have ordered the HYBRID with the 30 feet of wire
although i did not use the 30 feet of wire that was supplied with the kit, i used 84 feet of wire in several configurations and all have awesome result, my latest config was splice in on top a section of wire 41 feet to one side and a second side as well ( thinking of adding a 3rd leg.. hmmmm) this all soldered to a 46 feet of vertical wire and lots of counterpoise i been making contacts from 160 to 6 meters, from 1200 miles to 7900 miles all with no problem, thinking of getting a second HYBRID i have some other ideas, highly recommend Carl's products

N4DOV Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 20:43 Send this review to a friend
The longest Chameleon non-wire antenna   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have written a number of reviews of Chameleon products. I have no involvement or personally know the company, however they have taken quite a bit of money from me in return for their products, which have allowed me to enjoy restricted radio activities. Needless to say, I am thus biased! Thus as new products hit the market, I try them.
This review is about the Chameleon-hybrid impedance matching network base with the new V1L( the core of which is made from aerospace alloy, not fiberglass) base section with the new Chameleon Capacitance Cap and "topped" off with the Chameleon Mil-Whip (also made from aerospace alloy). This is the longest Chameleon non-wire antenna setup, about 15 foot in length, which I have mounted to the eave of my roof at 14 feet above the ground in a semi-permanent fashion. Can be taken down in a few minutes and be reconfigured for portable or mobile use vey quickly.
The antenna is very durable and so far has withstood a number of storms and winds. Of all the different Chameleon antenna setups, this is the most successful for me. With some power I can hold a frequency for a couple of hours bands being open of course.DX contacts and rag-chewing is a daily event even on some of the worst days/conditions.On occassion, I have used up to 800 watts without problem and with low SWR is easily tuned if needed. Now it is easy to Dx to Europe from the east coast, but today I had contact with India on SSB/phone on 20 meters. Antenna works well on 10 and 12 meters (not much activity though)15, 17(where for me it really shines), 20 and at times 40 meters (my 31ft wire fishing-pole Chameleon-Hybrid base antenna does better). Some may say I have spent a lot of money on something I can cheaply homebrew, well I cannot produce such a well made good looking combination and that works so well and that can be permanent, portable or mobile (with the V1L upper element).
P.S. I have never got results from a coat hangar or noodle !

KA3NXN Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

This is a well made piece of equipment. I am using the Hybrid along wit a Chameleon V1L mobile antenna on my truck. I just got rid of a HI-Q antenna because the motor quit on me. This setup definitely outperforms the HI-Q
Hooked up my home brew manual tuner this evening. On 18.145MHz I landed my first contact and what a doozy it was!!!!! A rare Dxpedition, this is one for the books……………..7O6T Received a 59 from them and I was getting them at 10 over S9. Setup is a Kenwood TS-50 with a home made manual tuner and the Chameleon V1l with the Hybrid base, all only running 100 watts. I'm elated with the ease of setup and performance. With the home made tuner it tunes from 160-2 meters inclusive. I have a Kuranichi laboratory grade SWR/Impedance analyzer and I was able to get a flat match through out the entire range of the analyzer, which is from 1-170MHz. I am impressed. I have already told my friend who also has a broken HI-Q to make the switch. I'm sold and I'll be recommending these to all my friends. Fantastic job, Carl. Great engineering and excellent production and manufacturing.