Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Alpha Delta DX-CC Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-CC
Alpha Delta DX-CC Reviews: 87 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $119
Description: 82' No Trap 80 thru 10 Dipole.And it is great ALL bands. This includes 12, 17, and 30.
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-CC.

DXSHORTWAVE Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2012 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Works FB, 1000 watts PEP/CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
As I said in a previous posting, the DX-CC works great at 1000 watts PEP/CW. Have used it for many years with a TL922. No problem here or with my friends who use them. The antenna is mounted in the clear. Don't understand the previous post. ANY dipole or vertical antenna should be AT LEAST 20 ft. away from other metal objects, particularly when running high power. Just common sense.

Sounds like he takes issue with running it close to other things and wonders why it couples to them and over heats with his 30S-1. ANY antenna would do that. The DX-CC is a great antenna.

K5PZ Rating: 2/5 Jul 7, 2012 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Power Limited  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run less than full legal power on SSB into my DX-CC due to the capabilities and limitations of my Collins 30S-1 linear amplifier. I've burned up the original end insulators and even the new ceramic set that the Alpha Delta send me. The coils show signs of over heating and deterioration. Alpha Delta told me of the 5000 DX-CC antennas sold, mine was the only one that had this problem reported. Additionally, I was told that the antenna must be at least 20 feet away from any other object or the antenna might corona. REALLY? I guess it's an acceptable antenna if you don't use a linear amplifier or you're 1 in 5000 like me.

KC8LTL Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2012 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Solid solution for single antenna in limited space  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my opinion, the simplest starter antenna for HF is the 40M dipole. 40m itself is open somewhere practically all the time and in addition to 40m, that simple dipole will also do OK on odd harmonics like 15m and 6m.

But there are other bands you will want to play with. Alpha Delta has come up with a solution that is not much longer than the 40m dipole and will also cover 10m, 20m, and a portion of 80m.

And so I replaced said 40m dipole with a DX-CC about 10 years ago. I usually operate qrp, so cannot say how this antenna handles power, other than it seems to have been fine when I occasionally run 100w.

The antenna is actually a "fan" of three antennas. The first is a trapped 80/40 dipole. Alpha-Delta doesn't call it a trap since there is no separate capacitor - instead it uses the capacitance of the wire itself to make the trap. In addition there are dipoles for 20m and 10m.

Ideally a fan dipole will have more separation between the dipoles than this does. It is admittedly a compromise to have them this close, but they have worked it out so that it actually seems to work fairly well, especially if you occasionally take it out to the field, like I do.

On 40, performance is like the dipole it replaced, namely, a decent all around antenna. On 20 it does OK, but will not be able to really compete with the many beams you will find there. On 15 and 10 it also does OK, so if the band is open, you will make contacts. SWR bandwidth is a bit reduced over separate dipole because of interaction between elements.

On 80 it is compromise. SWR bandwidth is quite narrow. On mine, out of the bad it is centered at about 3.7 MHz. Most of my operation, however, is at the opposite ends of the band, rather than the middle. With a tuner, it sort of works. It is not like a full size dipole, but you can work people.

With a tuner I have also made contacts on 12/17/30. But I have not made A/B comparisons on these bands.

"The Perfect Antenna" really doesn't exist. But this one does a lot of things well. Like a Swiss Army knife, it is useful to have around because of all it can do, even if there are better tools for many of the tasks.

I would like to give it a 4 1/2, but with all that it does, choose to round up to 5 rather than be stingy with a 4.

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2012 23:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for what it is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed 35' at it's apex. 25' at either support end. I had to slightly trim it back (fold the wire over) to bring 80/75 around .900. Other than that is covers almost the complete 40m band below 2:1, about half of the 20m band below 2:1 (need to trim it back further for this band). Need a tuner for 15m but instructions and literature clearly state this. Covers 10m from 28.0 - 28.9 under 2:1.

80m is tight and has a little over a 60/KHz band spread and again, literature clearly states that fact. The tuner takes care of the rest. I'm also able to easily tune it on 17m/12m and have had several 5/9 contacts on these bands. So this antenna does what they state it will. Just take your time setting it up and spend a little time with the solid core wire in getting the kinks out. It will operate and look fine. Just be mindful on your installation. Last I corrosion proofed (so to say) the wire connection points on the antenna for added long term maintenance.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2012 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Works well!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had an used a DXCC for 15 years with out problems, I make sure my SWR is 1.2 or less before using the PW-1 (1000W) amplifier. On 75 meters where the antenna has been shortened by the use of a coil, do not use the PW-1 where SWR is 2 to 1 or above. The DXCC works well 10-40m SWR is 1.2 an it's is 1.2 on 3940 the low point an 2 to 1 on 3930 and 3950 So far have not experienced flash overs, the resonant frequency on 75m does lower some when the antenna gets wet so I check SWR again before using the amplifier in wet weather............KB6HRT

AC8GX Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2012 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Great DX Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my DX-CC deployed in various ways, flat top 20 feet, inverted V feed point at 36 feet, flat top at 50+ feet.

In every case this antenna performed exceptionally well, deployed well below the manufacturers recommended settings!

I have used my mfj 993b to tune the warc bands.

I have used the antenna at my home QTH, and various feild location for feild and QSO parties running 100 watts and work more than my fair share of the contacts

W6QT Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2012 23:56 Send this review to a friend
Trouble Free  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed this antenna a little over two years ago. After having it installed in a DX location here in the Philippines, I'd have to say it works very well on 12, 15, 17, 20, and 40 meters. No testing done on 10 or 80 meters. Mine is installed as an inverted V at 20 meters with the ends about 5 meters off the ground. With only 100 watts I was able to log many DX entities inspite of the antenna being oriented in a permanent NE direction.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2011 21:03 Send this review to a friend
does what a dipole does  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ok its not a directional antenna so i cant compare it to one but compare to some of the other dipoles ya its a really good one , built rugged , 82ft , covers 5 bands that only a part of 80m i use a tuner with and got it from a amateur operator friend of mine that has a few alpha delta dipoles that he uses also , so i got it as a inverted v 41ft a leg and it does what its supposed to. works great. 73 Happy Holidays

AI4RI Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2011 19:55 Send this review to a friend
not a bad piece of wire  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
after reading the comments on here, i must say that for my lot with the antenna only being about 30 feet up off the ground, it does remarkebly well..

tuned the 20 and 40 elements for where I want it, and use the tuner for the band segments i dont. 10m easiest to tune.

one thing i would suggest is definately take the surgpe thingy out of the housing, i couldnt get it to tune up properly here and im not that well up on the reasons why, but my mfj versatuner 2 handlles it very well with ease.

havent worked out if i can get on some of the warc bands with it, but then it's not designed for those.

overall a pretty good antenna, but cheaper to build your own.

DXSHORTWAVE Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 07:42 Send this review to a friend
works great at 1000 watts PEP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I became curious with the last posting as I've run my DX-CC at about 1000 watts PEP and CW for over 5 years with no problems. I also have a DX-A sloper oriented in the opposite direction primarily for 160 meters and run just under 1500 watts with it. Again, no problem at all. I have a TL922 which puts out approx 1300 watts.

So, I read the WEB site. The phrase "tolerates full legal limit" is at the top of the page and refers to slopers and antennas in general like the mono-band dipoles, in my opinion. If you read the instructions on the multi-band dipoles the cover sheet gives the rating as "1000 watts PEP/CW, ICAS duty cycle" Also 250 watts continuous carrier. So, if he's running full power on SSB and 300 watts AM he's over stressing it. No wonder there is a problem.

I have 4 friends here on the east coast in Maryland that run DX-CC antennas and they have never had a problem. We have the usual rain, snow, salt water and high wind near the inlets. My DX-CC looks like new.

By the way, I have over 250 countries on mine now in casual DX chasing.

Wanted to post this as I don't think it's fair to complain about a situation where the product is used above limits.