Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | MFJ-971 Portable Tuner Help

Description:
The MFJ-971 is a compact 200-Watt portable tuner MFJ QRP
transceivers. The MFJ-971 is also a perfect mate for any of
todays ultra-compact SSB radios. It provides a convenient
cross-needle type SWR/Wattmeter and features a special user-
selectable 6-Watt range for QRP operation. The T-match tuner
covers 1.8-30 MHz and tunes almost any coax, wire, or
balanced-feed type antenna (a 4:1 toroid balun is built in
for balanced line). It measures a tiny 6 x 6 x 2 inches!
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-971

You can write your own review of the MFJ-971 Portable Tuner.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2017 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Seems well built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a competent manual antenna tuner that included some sort of SWR indicator for all of my "little radios", such as the SW20, SW40, Rockmites, etc. My old manual tuner, the MFJ 901B has given me 30 years of great service, tuning just about everything I threw at it, but lacks the indicator. After reading reviews (most of them are under "antenna tuners") I opted for this one.

When it arrived I popped the hoods on both the old and the new tuners and was pleasantly surprised to see that the guts (inductor and caps) are exactly the same. I looked at all the soldering joints on 971 and they are good. The board looks great. It's well put together and I am happy with the quality of the workmanship.

I think at QRP power levels you'll never have any problems with this unit, following MFJ's precise instructions for tuning. I easily tuned all bands on my Gap Mono 40. This will sit on one of my risers, at the QRP operating position, doing it's thing and will likely last longer than I do. I did notice that, after changing the jumpers for QRP operation the forward power meter was off a bit, reading 4 watts when it should have been 5. No big deal: a few minutes with the circuit diagram allowed me to trace the pot for forward QRP adjustment and a small tweak put it on 5W (when compared to my Diamond SX-200 which is accurate at 5 W). So it's doing what it's supposed to, is now reasonably accurate (this isn't a lab instrument!) and is smallish enough not to be obtrusive. The size of the meter is a non-issue: I am old enough to have a Medicare card in my wallet and bifocals and can see the needles just fine.

If one is inclined to use this at higher power levels my observation is: it should be fine. I've used my 901B which has the same "works" at 100 W with no problems and others have reported the same with the 971. I always tune per instructions (caps at 12 oclock and tune inductor for most signal, then tune transmitter cap first, etc) and at lower power levels first.

It's well built, it works, and is simple. I like it.

W0ACE Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2011 19:35 Send this review to a friend
GREAT little tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the full matching MFJ QRP station on 20m. Using this little tuner with a homebrew 20m dipole up as a inverted vee 15'. Tunes easy, good quality, everything turns smooth and easy. Inside the soldering looks good. Very happy! Will post a follow up after a few months of use. 73's w0ace