Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-B Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-B
Alpha Delta DX-B Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: 160/80/40/30 Multiband Quarter Wave Sloper
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-B.

N9CM Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2017 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 160-80-40-30, twin sloper. I get like 80khz on 160 very easily. Not resonant on 75 meters, about 75 khz in the middle of 75/80 meters, and on the ends, goes up to 2,2.5:1 and on 40 about 100khz. Well, I could cut, trim, measure, but with SWR below the 3:1 level, I just stick the tuner in line.

Works well working DX on 160 and 75 but you kinda need a receive antenna as any vertically polarized antenna will be receive noisy.

One issue, if you want to run another low band antenna hanging on the same support/tower, be prepared for pattern skewing, interaction.

I can't complain about the antenna. It does what it is suppose to. More of a DX antenna less so stateside/nvis.

VE3KKQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 17, 2017 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Works for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a compromise antenna, if you expect to get low SWR from band edge to band edge, you best reread your antenna theory. It is narrow banded, pick a segment, tune it to that freq., be happy. Overall, it works well for what it is.

WB9AZA Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2016 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Wire Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent antenna but installation is critical as with any high Q antenna. Follow Alpha-Delta’s instructions.
My DX-B is mounted 10 feet under a six element Yagi at 60 feet. End is 15 feet above ground.
Band with is narrow on 75 meters but my Palstar antenna fooler helps. Do not exceed the 1kw power limit and have a good RF choke as described in line with the feed line. You can do some trimming at the 160 meter end if you need to. This will affect both the 160 and 75 meter swr.
It is an excellent DX antenna on 30 through 160 meters. If you cant read instructions or have little understanding of this type of antenna you probably will have problems. Its not an antenna problem.

WA6LJR Rating: 1/5 Mar 9, 2016 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Poor SWR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just use a long wire, no traps. Scraped it for the wire.

M0VMT Rating: 2/5 Oct 27, 2014 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Enjoy the RFI  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The build quality is good and the instructions are easy to follow. Mine was fitted under the beam as per instructions and the tower is earthed so no problem their, this wire is narrow on 160 80 and 30 but I could get it to tune on most of 40.
VSWR was all over the place I had to cut and chop it till I ended up putting a new section on the 160 wire, this antenna drove me mad getting it right.
Anything more than 50 watts resulted in the house alarm going off and the internet modem resetting and I have never had rfi issues with any of my wires even my other end feds. Ferrite's made a difference but still on 400 watts on 80 the alarm went crazy.
The ultimate was when a neighbour in the other street came round saying I was blasting through her stereo and in 20 years I have never had issues with my station.
So I did get it to radiate quite well even in the next street!! but this end fed is not for me and tests against a simple home made dipole confirmed that this is DX-B is more trouble than it's worth!
It now lives wrapped up in the shed and I shall butcher it for the traps good bye DX-B.

W2YM Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2014 20:34 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This Antenna is GREAT. I can tune all bands with my radio. Hears everything. I can't say enough about how GREAT this antenna is. $109.00 shipped to my front door. Come on where can you get a antenna at this price and have this much fun on the HF bands. GREAT GREAT GREAT.. 5+ Mark W2YM 73's.

K4FX Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2012 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good antenna, I have mine on a 25G tower at 65 feet. It is above and between the top set of guys and works well. I don't have the space for a full size 160 dipole and the inverted L was not getting it done. So far I have been pleased with this antenna, and working DX on 160 a lot easier than before. I have other antennas for 80 and 40, so mostly I am using this for 160 and 30m. It resonates where it needs to. Very low SWR, and the AL-1500 and DX-B seem to play well together.

I would recommend this antenna to anyone needing a smaller solution for 160m.

K0KVR Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2011 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Performs well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just replaced my 40/80/160 meter multi-bland dipole and my 40/80/160 meters dipoles from Alpha Delta with this antenna to gain 30 meters and reduce the number of antennas I have hanging in my 100 x 100 foot lot. Right off the bat I was able to work Europe on 30 meters with good reports. I found the SWR was very high on several bands, but had not bolted the sloper to my aluminum tower. After doing that, adding a grounds to my front yard, and cutting 12 inches off the ends, I was able to reach a 1.5 to 1 SWR on 160 at 1.850MHZ, a 1.0 to 1.0 on 7.200 MHZ, and a 1.5 to 1 on the center of 30 meters. On 80 meters, I am still at 3 to 1, the minimum at 3.750 MHZ. I probably will not be on 80 much, but may need to add a stub since I noticed a much lower SWR up around 3.85 MHZ. I mounted the sloper about 4 feet below my TA33M WARC and it slopes over my roof peak to about 12 feet above the ground. I also have aluminum siding which I am sure plays into the picture. All in all it will do the job for me.

N0AH Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2010 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Raising end from ground level BIG Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I raised the end of the sloper from around 6 feet off the ground to 14 feet. My SWR on 160M is now resonant at 2.1:1 at 1.825, down significantly. And now has a usable bandwidth on topband without a tuner of around 30KHz. 80M also improved dropping down to 1.8:1. 30 and 40M resonant points rose a bit but still usable without a tuner, although I'll still be using the tuner for most QSO's. It is just a lot less sensitive on usable bandwidth when tuned up. I worked two JA's at sunrise this morning on 80M with it. A big improvement on just working stateside.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Put up my first tower in the spring of 2009. I had to wait for good weather (anything above -10) to put the beam together so I mounted the DX-B at 32' sloping eastward to an old clothesline pole in the back corner of my yard. Everything after the 160 coil is vertical down the pole at about 10 feet above ground. SWR on 160 was 1:1 at 1.910 and 1.2:1 on 3875, very nice. I was a happy camper.

After the beam A3S went up in the spring, I lost all resonance on 75m. Can't get lower than 3.5:1 anywhere in the band. All other bands okay. Had tried different configurations and spacings on the tower, obviously the change is due to the interaction with the beam.

My external tuner solves this problem nicely and I have worked all sorts of DX on 80, 40 and 30. Haven't spent much time on 160.

All in all a very nice antenna.