Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-B Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-B
Alpha Delta DX-B Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: 160/80/40/30 Multiband Quarter Wave Sloper
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-B.

M0VMT Rating: 2/5 Oct 27, 2014 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Enjoy the RFI  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The build quality is good and the instructions are easy to follow. Mine was fitted under the beam as per instructions and the tower is earthed so no problem their, this wire is narrow on 160 80 and 30 but I could get it to tune on most of 40.
VSWR was all over the place I had to cut and chop it till I ended up putting a new section on the 160 wire, this antenna drove me mad getting it right.
Anything more than 50 watts resulted in the house alarm going off and the internet modem resetting and I have never had rfi issues with any of my wires even my other end feds. Ferrite's made a difference but still on 400 watts on 80 the alarm went crazy.
The ultimate was when a neighbour in the other street came round saying I was blasting through her stereo and in 20 years I have never had issues with my station.
So I did get it to radiate quite well even in the next street!! but this end fed is not for me and tests against a simple home made dipole confirmed that this is DX-B is more trouble than it's worth!
It now lives wrapped up in the shed and I shall butcher it for the traps good bye DX-B.

W2YM Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2014 20:34 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This Antenna is GREAT. I can tune all bands with my radio. Hears everything. I can't say enough about how GREAT this antenna is. $109.00 shipped to my front door. Come on where can you get a antenna at this price and have this much fun on the HF bands. GREAT GREAT GREAT.. 5+ Mark W2YM 73's.

K4FX Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2012 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good antenna, I have mine on a 25G tower at 65 feet. It is above and between the top set of guys and works well. I don't have the space for a full size 160 dipole and the inverted L was not getting it done. So far I have been pleased with this antenna, and working DX on 160 a lot easier than before. I have other antennas for 80 and 40, so mostly I am using this for 160 and 30m. It resonates where it needs to. Very low SWR, and the AL-1500 and DX-B seem to play well together.

I would recommend this antenna to anyone needing a smaller solution for 160m.

K0KVR Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2011 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Performs well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just replaced my 40/80/160 meter multi-bland dipole and my 40/80/160 meters dipoles from Alpha Delta with this antenna to gain 30 meters and reduce the number of antennas I have hanging in my 100 x 100 foot lot. Right off the bat I was able to work Europe on 30 meters with good reports. I found the SWR was very high on several bands, but had not bolted the sloper to my aluminum tower. After doing that, adding a grounds to my front yard, and cutting 12 inches off the ends, I was able to reach a 1.5 to 1 SWR on 160 at 1.850MHZ, a 1.0 to 1.0 on 7.200 MHZ, and a 1.5 to 1 on the center of 30 meters. On 80 meters, I am still at 3 to 1, the minimum at 3.750 MHZ. I probably will not be on 80 much, but may need to add a stub since I noticed a much lower SWR up around 3.85 MHZ. I mounted the sloper about 4 feet below my TA33M WARC and it slopes over my roof peak to about 12 feet above the ground. I also have aluminum siding which I am sure plays into the picture. All in all it will do the job for me.

N0AH Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2010 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Raising end from ground level BIG Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I raised the end of the sloper from around 6 feet off the ground to 14 feet. My SWR on 160M is now resonant at 2.1:1 at 1.825, down significantly. And now has a usable bandwidth on topband without a tuner of around 30KHz. 80M also improved dropping down to 1.8:1. 30 and 40M resonant points rose a bit but still usable without a tuner, although I'll still be using the tuner for most QSO's. It is just a lot less sensitive on usable bandwidth when tuned up. I worked two JA's at sunrise this morning on 80M with it. A big improvement on just working stateside.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Put up my first tower in the spring of 2009. I had to wait for good weather (anything above -10) to put the beam together so I mounted the DX-B at 32' sloping eastward to an old clothesline pole in the back corner of my yard. Everything after the 160 coil is vertical down the pole at about 10 feet above ground. SWR on 160 was 1:1 at 1.910 and 1.2:1 on 3875, very nice. I was a happy camper.

After the beam A3S went up in the spring, I lost all resonance on 75m. Can't get lower than 3.5:1 anywhere in the band. All other bands okay. Had tried different configurations and spacings on the tower, obviously the change is due to the interaction with the beam.

My external tuner solves this problem nicely and I have worked all sorts of DX on 80, 40 and 30. Haven't spent much time on 160.

All in all a very nice antenna.

VE7HJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 00:05 Send this review to a friend
Alternate Installation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the DX-B single wire sloper to mount on my tower. I decided to bring it along on our winter vacation to Princeton BC. I hung it upside down from a tree at 35 feet and sloped it to about 9 feet at the low end. I tied it off and ran a 67 foot counter poise wire
that was at 2 feet off the ground on the low end. My coax feed point was at the low end
just to be clear. It would be the reverse of the tower installation.

I worked all kinds of Eastern North America stations on 80 meters, 160 would not tune but it sure did hear well. I have never heard so many signals on 160. 30 and 40 meters worked equally as well. The antenna favored the direction of the low end of the wire.

My reason for trying this is to convince other hams who do not have a tower to try hanging it off a tree and keep the feed point at the low end. If you keep the counterpoise connection at 9-12 feet and the low end off the ground you could get away with 1-2 wires on the lowest band.

I will write another review once its mounted on my tower.

73 VE7HJ

N0AH Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2009 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Good stateside DX on 160M  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am always a bit leary of advertisor claims. But for the money, and just for the manual, this is money well spent.

I am in a limited space as far as 160M goes. Typical suburban back yard. Feel free to visit QRZ.COM under my call sign for more of the site location description.

I located the antenna per the manual's recommendations. I have a 20 foot Glen Martin tower with a tri-bander on the top at 50 feet from ground to bottom. I located the antenna apprx. 12 feet under this antenna.

My antenna analyzer showed, without a tuner, at least a 3.5:1 match on all bands, 30, 40, 80M at resonance and a 5.5:1 match on 160M. To improve this, I ran a long radial from my Cushcraft 80/40V vertical radial field (18 radials going out 90 degrees from my fence corner) to the ground rods of the tower.

This was a dramatic improvement seen on the lowest bands. 30M actually got a bit worse with a higher resonant point and a slightly higher match. 40M, with my lowest resonance point with out the tuner, went up 200KHz but was usable at 2.8:1 at 7.300MHz. I dropped to 3:1 on 80M with the resonant point jumping up 100KHz to 3.800MHz. Sort of usable but needs a tuner on this band.......

On 160M, my lowest resonant point dropped from 1.990MHz at 5.5:1 all the way down to 3.8:1 at a lower resonant point of 1.830MHz. Cool beans!

With my Dentron MT-2000A Tuner, I can get a flat match anywhere. Before attaching the radial field, I struggled a bit on 160M to get down to 2:1 to 1 at resonance. It just goes soooo flat with the radial field attached any where on 160M now-

All of these suggestions on tuning are in the manual. It explains 1/4 sloper theory very well and I was glad I spent two hours in zero degree icy weather getting that radial attached to the tower's ground rods.

My weak point on the antenna is most likely a less than desirable ground return path from the base of the tower on the roof to ground. It is 10 AWG solid copper wire. It meets code but it is not like having a tower sticking in the dirt-

In the Stew Perry 2009 contest, I worked the first two hours after sundown, an hour around bedtime, and an hour before sunrise. In about four hours, I made 68 QSO's in 30 states and three VE provences. I did not notice any direction after mapping out the grids but had a number of QSO's in AZ, CO, WY and NM. Only a few in TX and this was a bit of a surprise. But so was working WA, VA, GA, OR, and VE3....where was all of these EU ops, hi-

From Denver, I worked VE7, VE6 and VE3. I worked the majority of QSO's under 1,500KM but had several over 2,000KM with my longest being 3 at 2,562KM to the east. My longest north was 1,671 KM and to the NW in CN87 at 1,767 KM.

The antenna is fairly quiet but I was running my IC-Pro III with the ATT set at 6-12 dB on most contacts. Without it, my noise level was around S-7 and a lot of distant east coast signals were in the noise. That said, my opinion is that it is very quiet compared to my since retired Inv L at my WY QTH.

All in all, I was pleased with the antenna on 160M and that is why I bought it. But I was working a lot of contest stations with excellent receive antennas so I can't claim I could talk to another one of these antennas on the east coast. I took the time to look up each station worked on QRZ.COM and several had big time 160M stations.

30 and 40M play well on DX around the world thus far. The antenna is around 1-2 S-units down vs the 30M dipole at 40 feet and 1-3 S-units down on 40M versus the Cushcraft 80/40V. But it is making a lot of Q's on these two bands.

80M is a lot like 160M for me. Good up to great stateside ability for what it is. The antenna has a low profile and took 30 minutes from out of the package to installation, excluding my radial attachment, hi.

If I could have more stations in this contest on 160M respond to my attempts to run a frequency, I'd give it a Great Plus rating. But it is what it is and that said, I really love this wire!

NG9R Rating: 4/5 Nov 11, 2009 18:54 Send this review to a friend
beats a low dipole  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a DX-B a couple of years ago with the intentions of mounting it up in a tree and running multiple ground wires down the tree to ground rods, but it never happened that way. I put it up as a ground mounted vertical in an inverted-L configuration and it works very well. I used a short 4 foot ground rod and 16 wires of various lengths, from 16 feet to 135 feet. The vertical part is suspended from a tree to 35 feet and then it runs parallel to the ground, in inverted-L fashion. It is very narrow on 80 and 160, but performance beats a 45 foot high dipole hands down on paths longer than 500 miles. I did notice that adding a length to the end to lower the SWR on 160 caused the resonance point on 80 to change as well. A tuner is a must on 160 and 80 if your want to operate CW and phone.

KC8JNL Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2008 07:04 Send this review to a friend
effective for limited space  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed this antenna on a 40 ft. tower at 36 ft. I do and planned on using a tuner as I do not have a beam on top to act as a capacity hat. called don at alpha delta, put in some radials and an effective ground - it works well for my local. I am in michigan in a poor location with sandy soil. 160 meter op. has netted 2-3-4- and 5 call areas with 20 to 100 watts out the first night I am pleased. 73.