Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Alpha Delta DX-B Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-B
Alpha Delta DX-B Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: 160/80/40/30 Multiband Quarter Wave Sloper
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-B.

N8BHB Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2007 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Works for Me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second Alpha Delta antenna, the first is a DX-LB I purchased a year ago. The DX-B is installed at right angle to DX-LB.

The DX-B is well constructed and works as advertised provided you follow the instructions--check their website for tips on slopers. A tuner is also helpful.

Mine is mounted at 35 feet on crank-up tower and drops to about 10 feet at the other end. I ran a ground wire from the antenna on the tower to an 8 foot copper-plated ground rod and then continued it to make a 1/4 wave radial for 160m. at ground level, bending it around as necessary to conform to my somewhat small lot.

84/40m performance equals or exceeds the DX-LB dipole, which is mounted at 30 feet. DX-B the only one of the two wires that loads reliably on 160m--could never get the DX-LB to work on that band, even with a tuner.

Somewhat pricey, but worth it!

JDEVARIE Rating: 4/5 Feb 4, 2007 10:22 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this antenna from HRO based on the documentation at the store at the time. I have a small city lot of space available and the only thing I had been using was a 20m dipole hung on one of the fences in my yard. I wanted to get on 80m and thought this antenna would do, a little pricey but I thought it would do.
I read the instructions and was a little disappointed to find out the need of a capacity hat of some sort to make it work, regardless, I gave it a try since there were instructions to use without a tower.
I attached the feed point at about 22ft high agains one of the walls of my house and the end is at about 10ft in one of the corners of my yard. I attached a return wire as instructed in the manual and straight down into a burried copper ground rod. Using my MFJ269 analyzer, here are the results I got with this configuration:
160m-- Got a match of 1.4:1 at 1.866 with about 70khz of bandwith at this swr, I shortened it a bit (about a foot and a half) to get it to 1.972Mhz.
80m--3.755 @ 2.6:1 with 100Khz of bandwith
30m-- all band with 2:1 or less
40m-- could not get anything below 4.5:1
20m-- could not get anything below 8.5:1
15m,10m-- these bands were all at about 6:1
I also tried WARC bands and as expected all were way off.
Based on the instructions, I guess this was expected. My house has a steel roof and I was hoping it could serve as a somewhat makeshift hat to the antenna, maybe it is maybe it is not.
I then plugged my old tuner, an AT-200 from Kenwood and was able to tune most of the bands with the exception of 160m which was un-tunable. I am sure I could do better with a different tuner.
Anyways, based on the instructions, this antenna is working as expected. It is stealth enough and I am able to get on 80m as I wanted. It is, I think, a little over-priced but its construction is solid and in my opinion bullet proof. Easy to set up and end fed.
I have made several contacts with it so far and my SG2020 running 20w and my TS820S @ 100w.
I hope this post helps someone else.

KJ6QB Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2006 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my second Alpha Delta wire antenna. I also have the DX-EE installed as an inverted Vee and they both are great. Nice rugged construction. If you are having a problem with the DX-B, then you have not followed the manufacturers installation instructions. This antenna requires a capacitance Hat and a counterpoise to perform to specifications. I have mine up 50 feet at the feedpoint. I am using a multi-band ground plane scanner antenna that is mounted approximately 6' above the feedpoint to act as a capacitance hat. I ran a counter poise from the feedpoint all the way down to a separate grounding rod at the base of my 50' mast. The terminating end is at about 10' off the ground. The antenna works GREAT! I can use 160 (1.845-1.875) without a tuner and the match is flat. It works great all across 160 with a good tuner. The performance on 75/80m is also great. It is optimized by using a good L-Network tuner (I use a Ten-Tec Model 238B). Overall a great antenna as long as it is installed correctly!

W2MC Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2006 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Good off a tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
For what it is (and what its designed to be) it works well.

My 'old' qth had limited space; a 50x100 in-town lot. I had a medium-sized crank-up tower, with a small tribander and a warc antenna, but I needed something else for the low bands.

I was going to try to figure out how to stretch some sort of dipole, or even trying a W3EDP up the back of the house and out, but ended-up with this antenna in trade. I set it up as a sloper off the side of the tower, and ran it down diagonally across the backyard, and tied it off to the fence. It worked - got me on the low bands without much effort.

After I moved, the antenna made an appearance at Field Day, where it went up as a quick antenna for 75, working against an aluminum tower with a tribander. Later, we were able to hoist a dipole into the trees. The dipole out-performed this antenna, but, to be fair, it was a full-sized dipole up about 50% higher than the DX-B, and the DX-B wasn't all that far behind the dipole.

In both cases (old QTH and FD), SWR was close enough that I never worried about it.

I gave it a 5. Its well designed, pretty strong, and does exactly what Alpha-Delta says it will do.

K6EGW Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2005 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Best 80 160 ant I have used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back again. Folks do not use a tuner at first. It is the angle at the apex that will determine SWR.
I suspect most put the apex up too high thus a narrow angle and a goofy Swr.

Not wire lengths.

If you can not understand this, save your money. DXCC on 80 was easy one winter and 160 was fun.

Follow the grey line and work them all. I love this antenna.

W0AV Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2005 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My DX-B antenna has been up for over ten years and works great! The only "resonance" is at 1.850Mhz but with the internal tuners of my K2 and TS2K it works all bands 160-10M. Have worked lots of DX with 5W including some on 160M. Mine is a simple/poor installation with no radials.
Just forget about VSWR, use a tuner and have fun.
72/73 de George/W0AV
Hamming since 1935

KG6AOH Rating: 1/5 Jan 9, 2005 23:13 Send this review to a friend
Do not waste your money or time.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a semi-stealth antenna for QRO on 80, 40 and 10. I originally bought an Alpha Delta inverted V, but it was WAY too ugly for my neighbors (exclusive area, the tower is already pushing it a bit). I phoned Alpha Delta and spoke to a real nice man. I explained my tower installation -free standing with big cell-tower style platform on top. The man suggested the DX B. He said that if I cut the 30m wire stub for 10, then the antenna would work on 160, 80, 40 and 10.

When I received the antenna, I was a little skeptical when I saw the weird 'cheap' way they expected me to mount it (drill another hole in the thin metal plate and supply my own U bolt). I did as I was told, disregarding the CBish cheapness. The antenna does not work. Worst of all, AES won't take back wire antennas that have been opened, so I am out TWICE!

I am outraged that this product is allowed to be sold. I will keep an eye out for a multiband ground mount vertical and forget the wire antenna idea. Alpha Delta's product has soured me to wire antennas. I just threw the thing in the garbage. If you have one, do the same before you frustrate yourself.

AA3UV Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2005 18:12 Send this review to a friend
I have had an excellent experience with my Alpha Delta DX-B  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had an excellent experience with my Alpha Delta DX-B amateur radio antenna where I have obtained SWR readings that would range from less than 1.475 to 1.0 on the entire 80 band (these SWR readings would possess a pattern of particularly good quality on the morse code segment of this band where they have occurred in the 1.0 to 1.0 classification in the vast majority of instances from 3.730.00 KHZ to 3.513.00 KHZ with these measurements being implemented in segments of 20 KHZ each in descending order respectively with a total of 12 measurements that were secured in this configuration while the SWR readings on the phone component of this band have existed at 1.0 to 1.0, 1.325 to 1.0, 1.475 to 1.0, 1.475 to 1.0, 1.375 to 1.0 , 1.475 to 1.0, 1.4 to 1.0, 1.4 to 1.0, 1.4 to 1.0, 1.3 to 1.0 and 1.25 to 1.0 from the lower end of the phone segment at 3.770.00 KHZ to the higher region of this segment at 3.982.70 KHZ with the measurements being effected at approximately 20 KHZ each or somewhat more in ascendng order respectively) and where I have been successful in making contacts through the use of both the morse code and the phone modes in such locations as West Virgina, Connecticut,Maryland and Tennesee from where my amateur radio station is located in southwestern Pennsylvania. I seem to produce more quality amateur radio transmission signals when I make use of the morse code mode but I have also had some reasonable or better phone mode contacts toward this end though the sometimes less than favorable propagation conditions would need to be considered in this general assessment as well. The great majority of the amateur radio signals that I have received with this antenna have been of worthy quality by far. I have mounted my DX-B amateur radio antenna very close to the top of a telescopic mast in that I must use a high quality wide range antenna tuner to secure the various sufficient SWR readings with and that I have experemented with to compile the appropriate settings to use on this antenna tuner to acquire a faster means of tuning this antenna when I would be making use of it. I also have a 10 foot segmet of tubing that is still remaining in this telescopic mast that I am intending to deploy in the spring of 2005 to give this mast a greater height that should assist this antenna in being able to both send and receive amateur radio signals that would be further away in distance (the current height of this antenna is estimated to be 22.5 feet in the air that would be approximately 2.5 feet shorter than the recommendation on the instruction sheet as I had apparently made an error in my various measurements in this regard). I would speculate as well that if I would purchase a linear ampolifier, I should be able to increase the distance of my amateur radio signal transmissions. In conclusion, I would have to indeed commend the extremely high quality of tecnical support that I had received as to the installation of this amateur radio antenna as this antenna would require more careful installation in my own personal judgement to be effetive under circumstances where it would be fastened to a telescopic mast in contrast to a tower. It should be noted in conclusion that I purchased this antenna mainly because of my interest in transmitting and receiving on the 80 meter band and also because of its shortened characteristic to better adapt to my property as it would be only 60 feet in length to the effect that it would still be again just as I have essentially been preceedinglingly stating that I have been very well pleased with its performance on the 80 meter band as I would sense with much confidence that it would continue to provide me with the kind of effectiveness that I would be satisfied with on the other various bands that it had been engineered to funciton on as I am intending to try it on these other various bands in the future.

KW7J Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2004 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Use of multiple wires  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use 4 DX-B's (I removed the 30 meter stubs since I don't need them). The four come off a 100 ft tower at the 80 ft level and connect to a remote switch so I can select any one of them. One point to JA, another to EU, another to the Carib, and another to VK/ZL. It took some tuning but I now have switchable slopers which give me some directivity and gain. The "active" antenna benefits from the unused ones serving as reflectors. I had done this in the past using single wire slopers for simgle bands. Wasn;t sure if this would work with "tri band" slopers and neither were the folks at Alpha Delta. Like I said it took a lot of trimming and pruning but finally got them all resonant where I wanted them (1840, 3800, 7225). Go much away from those freqs and a tuner is needed.

KL7TDZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2004 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Works very well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used both the DX-A & DX-B. I would have kept the 'A' model but lost my tree in front yard a few years ago in an early, heavy, wet snow storm. Had to go to the 'B' model. It has worked well for me and I'm satisfied with its performance. I have it mounted at the 45' level on my tower with a 7 el. Tribander 7 or 8' above it. The other end is between 15 & 20' up in a tree. I recommend it for a limited space antenna.