Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-B Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-B
Alpha Delta DX-B Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: 160/80/40/30 Multiband Quarter Wave Sloper

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-B.

NG9R Rating: 4/5 Nov 11, 2009 18:54 Send this review to a friend
beats a low dipole  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a DX-B a couple of years ago with the intentions of mounting it up in a tree and running multiple ground wires down the tree to ground rods, but it never happened that way. I put it up as a ground mounted vertical in an inverted-L configuration and it works very well. I used a short 4 foot ground rod and 16 wires of various lengths, from 16 feet to 135 feet. The vertical part is suspended from a tree to 35 feet and then it runs parallel to the ground, in inverted-L fashion. It is very narrow on 80 and 160, but performance beats a 45 foot high dipole hands down on paths longer than 500 miles. I did notice that adding a length to the end to lower the SWR on 160 caused the resonance point on 80 to change as well. A tuner is a must on 160 and 80 if your want to operate CW and phone.
KC8JNL Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2008 07:04 Send this review to a friend
effective for limited space  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed this antenna on a 40 ft. tower at 36 ft. I do and planned on using a tuner as I do not have a beam on top to act as a capacity hat. called don at alpha delta, put in some radials and an effective ground - it works well for my local. I am in michigan in a poor location with sandy soil. 160 meter op. has netted 2-3-4- and 5 call areas with 20 to 100 watts out the first night I am pleased. 73.
N8WUG Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2007 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Good Short Sloper!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Setup was easy, tuning required a little thought.
Height - is 30ft sloping to 10ft mounted under a 3-ele. Yagi w/ 1 ground rod. 40M required a 2ft tuning stub installed at the base of the 80M coil, (1.0 SWR +-200khz.) Cut the 30M for 20M, 1.3 SWR entire band. 80M shortened 18in, 2.6 SWR +-100khz. 160M shortened 9in, 1.1 SWR +-50khz. 17M has 1.5 SWR +-100khz. 10M band is less than 2.7 SWR +- 1mhz.
Antenna resonates well and have had good reports for a 1/4 wave sloper! PS: I am working on lowering the 80M SWR.
PY2ONU Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2007 17:31 Send this review to a friend
great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenns in last mounth in USA, this antenna is working very very good in my shack.
In 30, 40 and 80 meters very good - the same work a wire dipole (big size) - BUT THIS ANTENNA HAVE ONE 18 METERS!
160 meters good (less that normal wire dipole). The normal dipole signal is 9+ 10 Db. with alpha delta DX-B signal 7-9 Db.
But The normal dipole = 80 meters wire, alpha delta DX-B only 18!
ATTENTION: 2 things is VERY VERY necessary to this antenna worked correct:

I like this antenna a lot, i'm very happy with may Alpha Deltha DX-B!

N8BHB Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2007 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Works for Me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second Alpha Delta antenna, the first is a DX-LB I purchased a year ago. The DX-B is installed at right angle to DX-LB.

The DX-B is well constructed and works as advertised provided you follow the instructions--check their website for tips on slopers. A tuner is also helpful.

Mine is mounted at 35 feet on crank-up tower and drops to about 10 feet at the other end. I ran a ground wire from the antenna on the tower to an 8 foot copper-plated ground rod and then continued it to make a 1/4 wave radial for 160m. at ground level, bending it around as necessary to conform to my somewhat small lot.

84/40m performance equals or exceeds the DX-LB dipole, which is mounted at 30 feet. DX-B the only one of the two wires that loads reliably on 160m--could never get the DX-LB to work on that band, even with a tuner.

Somewhat pricey, but worth it!
JDEVARIE Rating: 4/5 Feb 4, 2007 10:22 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this antenna from HRO based on the documentation at the store at the time. I have a small city lot of space available and the only thing I had been using was a 20m dipole hung on one of the fences in my yard. I wanted to get on 80m and thought this antenna would do, a little pricey but I thought it would do.
I read the instructions and was a little disappointed to find out the need of a capacity hat of some sort to make it work, regardless, I gave it a try since there were instructions to use without a tower.
I attached the feed point at about 22ft high agains one of the walls of my house and the end is at about 10ft in one of the corners of my yard. I attached a return wire as instructed in the manual and straight down into a burried copper ground rod. Using my MFJ269 analyzer, here are the results I got with this configuration:
160m-- Got a match of 1.4:1 at 1.866 with about 70khz of bandwith at this swr, I shortened it a bit (about a foot and a half) to get it to 1.972Mhz.
80m--3.755 @ 2.6:1 with 100Khz of bandwith
30m-- all band with 2:1 or less
40m-- could not get anything below 4.5:1
20m-- could not get anything below 8.5:1
15m,10m-- these bands were all at about 6:1
I also tried WARC bands and as expected all were way off.
Based on the instructions, I guess this was expected. My house has a steel roof and I was hoping it could serve as a somewhat makeshift hat to the antenna, maybe it is maybe it is not.
I then plugged my old tuner, an AT-200 from Kenwood and was able to tune most of the bands with the exception of 160m which was un-tunable. I am sure I could do better with a different tuner.
Anyways, based on the instructions, this antenna is working as expected. It is stealth enough and I am able to get on 80m as I wanted. It is, I think, a little over-priced but its construction is solid and in my opinion bullet proof. Easy to set up and end fed.
I have made several contacts with it so far and my SG2020 running 20w and my TS820S @ 100w.
I hope this post helps someone else.
KJ6QB Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2006 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my second Alpha Delta wire antenna. I also have the DX-EE installed as an inverted Vee and they both are great. Nice rugged construction. If you are having a problem with the DX-B, then you have not followed the manufacturers installation instructions. This antenna requires a capacitance Hat and a counterpoise to perform to specifications. I have mine up 50 feet at the feedpoint. I am using a multi-band ground plane scanner antenna that is mounted approximately 6' above the feedpoint to act as a capacitance hat. I ran a counter poise from the feedpoint all the way down to a separate grounding rod at the base of my 50' mast. The terminating end is at about 10' off the ground. The antenna works GREAT! I can use 160 (1.845-1.875) without a tuner and the match is flat. It works great all across 160 with a good tuner. The performance on 75/80m is also great. It is optimized by using a good L-Network tuner (I use a Ten-Tec Model 238B). Overall a great antenna as long as it is installed correctly!
W2MC Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2006 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Good off a tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
For what it is (and what its designed to be) it works well.

My 'old' qth had limited space; a 50x100 in-town lot. I had a medium-sized crank-up tower, with a small tribander and a warc antenna, but I needed something else for the low bands.

I was going to try to figure out how to stretch some sort of dipole, or even trying a W3EDP up the back of the house and out, but ended-up with this antenna in trade. I set it up as a sloper off the side of the tower, and ran it down diagonally across the backyard, and tied it off to the fence. It worked - got me on the low bands without much effort.

After I moved, the antenna made an appearance at Field Day, where it went up as a quick antenna for 75, working against an aluminum tower with a tribander. Later, we were able to hoist a dipole into the trees. The dipole out-performed this antenna, but, to be fair, it was a full-sized dipole up about 50% higher than the DX-B, and the DX-B wasn't all that far behind the dipole.

In both cases (old QTH and FD), SWR was close enough that I never worried about it.

I gave it a 5. Its well designed, pretty strong, and does exactly what Alpha-Delta says it will do.
K6EGW Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2005 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Best 80 160 ant I have used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back again. Folks do not use a tuner at first. It is the angle at the apex that will determine SWR.
I suspect most put the apex up too high thus a narrow angle and a goofy Swr.

Not wire lengths.

If you can not understand this, save your money. DXCC on 80 was easy one winter and 160 was fun.

Follow the grey line and work them all. I love this antenna.
W0AV Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2005 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My DX-B antenna has been up for over ten years and works great! The only "resonance" is at 1.850Mhz but with the internal tuners of my K2 and TS2K it works all bands 160-10M. Have worked lots of DX with 5W including some on 160M. Mine is a simple/poor installation with no radials.
Just forget about VSWR, use a tuner and have fun.
72/73 de George/W0AV