Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-B Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-B
Alpha Delta DX-B Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: 160/80/40/30 Multiband Quarter Wave Sloper

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-B.

KG6AOH Rating: 1/5 Jan 9, 2005 23:13 Send this review to a friend
Do not waste your money or time.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a semi-stealth antenna for QRO on 80, 40 and 10. I originally bought an Alpha Delta inverted V, but it was WAY too ugly for my neighbors (exclusive area, the tower is already pushing it a bit). I phoned Alpha Delta and spoke to a real nice man. I explained my tower installation -free standing with big cell-tower style platform on top. The man suggested the DX B. He said that if I cut the 30m wire stub for 10, then the antenna would work on 160, 80, 40 and 10.

When I received the antenna, I was a little skeptical when I saw the weird 'cheap' way they expected me to mount it (drill another hole in the thin metal plate and supply my own U bolt). I did as I was told, disregarding the CBish cheapness. The antenna does not work. Worst of all, AES won't take back wire antennas that have been opened, so I am out TWICE!

I am outraged that this product is allowed to be sold. I will keep an eye out for a multiband ground mount vertical and forget the wire antenna idea. Alpha Delta's product has soured me to wire antennas. I just threw the thing in the garbage. If you have one, do the same before you frustrate yourself.
AA3UV Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2005 18:12 Send this review to a friend
I have had an excellent experience with my Alpha Delta DX-B  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had an excellent experience with my Alpha Delta DX-B amateur radio antenna where I have obtained SWR readings that would range from less than 1.475 to 1.0 on the entire 80 band (these SWR readings would possess a pattern of particularly good quality on the morse code segment of this band where they have occurred in the 1.0 to 1.0 classification in the vast majority of instances from 3.730.00 KHZ to 3.513.00 KHZ with these measurements being implemented in segments of 20 KHZ each in descending order respectively with a total of 12 measurements that were secured in this configuration while the SWR readings on the phone component of this band have existed at 1.0 to 1.0, 1.325 to 1.0, 1.475 to 1.0, 1.475 to 1.0, 1.375 to 1.0 , 1.475 to 1.0, 1.4 to 1.0, 1.4 to 1.0, 1.4 to 1.0, 1.3 to 1.0 and 1.25 to 1.0 from the lower end of the phone segment at 3.770.00 KHZ to the higher region of this segment at 3.982.70 KHZ with the measurements being effected at approximately 20 KHZ each or somewhat more in ascendng order respectively) and where I have been successful in making contacts through the use of both the morse code and the phone modes in such locations as West Virgina, Connecticut,Maryland and Tennesee from where my amateur radio station is located in southwestern Pennsylvania. I seem to produce more quality amateur radio transmission signals when I make use of the morse code mode but I have also had some reasonable or better phone mode contacts toward this end though the sometimes less than favorable propagation conditions would need to be considered in this general assessment as well. The great majority of the amateur radio signals that I have received with this antenna have been of worthy quality by far. I have mounted my DX-B amateur radio antenna very close to the top of a telescopic mast in that I must use a high quality wide range antenna tuner to secure the various sufficient SWR readings with and that I have experemented with to compile the appropriate settings to use on this antenna tuner to acquire a faster means of tuning this antenna when I would be making use of it. I also have a 10 foot segmet of tubing that is still remaining in this telescopic mast that I am intending to deploy in the spring of 2005 to give this mast a greater height that should assist this antenna in being able to both send and receive amateur radio signals that would be further away in distance (the current height of this antenna is estimated to be 22.5 feet in the air that would be approximately 2.5 feet shorter than the recommendation on the instruction sheet as I had apparently made an error in my various measurements in this regard). I would speculate as well that if I would purchase a linear ampolifier, I should be able to increase the distance of my amateur radio signal transmissions. In conclusion, I would have to indeed commend the extremely high quality of tecnical support that I had received as to the installation of this amateur radio antenna as this antenna would require more careful installation in my own personal judgement to be effetive under circumstances where it would be fastened to a telescopic mast in contrast to a tower. It should be noted in conclusion that I purchased this antenna mainly because of my interest in transmitting and receiving on the 80 meter band and also because of its shortened characteristic to better adapt to my property as it would be only 60 feet in length to the effect that it would still be again just as I have essentially been preceedinglingly stating that I have been very well pleased with its performance on the 80 meter band as I would sense with much confidence that it would continue to provide me with the kind of effectiveness that I would be satisfied with on the other various bands that it had been engineered to funciton on as I am intending to try it on these other various bands in the future.

KW7J Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2004 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Use of multiple wires  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use 4 DX-B's (I removed the 30 meter stubs since I don't need them). The four come off a 100 ft tower at the 80 ft level and connect to a remote switch so I can select any one of them. One point to JA, another to EU, another to the Carib, and another to VK/ZL. It took some tuning but I now have switchable slopers which give me some directivity and gain. The "active" antenna benefits from the unused ones serving as reflectors. I had done this in the past using single wire slopers for simgle bands. Wasn;t sure if this would work with "tri band" slopers and neither were the folks at Alpha Delta. Like I said it took a lot of trimming and pruning but finally got them all resonant where I wanted them (1840, 3800, 7225). Go much away from those freqs and a tuner is needed.
KL7TDZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2004 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Works very well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used both the DX-A & DX-B. I would have kept the 'A' model but lost my tree in front yard a few years ago in an early, heavy, wet snow storm. Had to go to the 'B' model. It has worked well for me and I'm satisfied with its performance. I have it mounted at the 45' level on my tower with a 7 el. Tribander 7 or 8' above it. The other end is between 15 & 20' up in a tree. I recommend it for a limited space antenna.
W8BBM Rating: 1/5 Jan 5, 2004 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Might as well shut the rig off.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna new and couldn't have been more dissapointed. I have put up MANY antennas in my 22 years in the hobby but this antenna is simply a waste of time and money. I pruned and adjusted this thing to death with poor results. SWR was hardly ever better than 3:1 anywhere and my DL was better on receive. I ended up selling it to some guy for $30 and felt like I was stealing from him. I was honest with him though and wished him better luck than I had with it.
W8JN Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2003 06:55 Send this review to a friend
outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
as indicated in the instructions, this antenna works best when attached to a tower. paid $10 at a hamfest. the best $10 ever spent.
K3UD Rating: 4/5 Aug 29, 2003 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Does what is promised IF setup is right  Time owned: more than 12 months
About 18 months ago I purchased an Alpha Delta DX-B off eBay for $25. I have always liked half slopers and was using them for 160, 75, 40, and 30 meters and figured that if one wire could replace 4 wires, it could clean up the look in the back yard and make my wife feel better about the antenna clutter.

It should be noted that half slopers, in order to really perform, need to be mounted on a tower and preferably a tower with a large tribander and maybe some VHF antennas on top.

The tower and its antenna stack becone part of the overall half sloper antenna system. As my tower meets these requirements, I have had very good success with single wire half slopers since I started using them in the early 80s.

The DX-B was mounted on the tower at the 35 Ft level and sloped down to a fence at about a 35 to 40 degree angle. My tower is well grounded and has a small radial system attached to the base.

The DX-B met all of my expectations as to performance. Bandwidth on 160 meters was very narrow as expected with the 3:1 points being +/- 15 kHz from the resonant point.

The lowest SWR I could get on 75 was about 3:1 which is what I was getting with my single wire half sloper.

40 and 30 meters had much wider SWR curves, as expected, and 1.2:1 resonance was found on each of these bands. I did have to do some trimming of the wire in order to get the resonance points where I wanted them.

The DX-B performs as well as my individual half slopers did on 75, 40, and 30 meters. Performance is just slightly down on 160 because of the shortened wire length on that band. I can run 5 watts QRP on 160 and make very satisfying contacts, and get good reports running 100 watts within a 500 - 1000 mile radius of my location. DX is sometimes worked on 160.

At one point, I took all the antennas off the tower to give them a reconditioning. For the week they were down I attached the DX-B to the top railing of our chain link fence at the feed point end and to a tree at the far end.

At no time was any part of the antenna higher than 7 feet. I still made lots of contacts on 30, 40, and 75 meters and was able to check into most of the regional 160 nets, although with rather weak signals.

I agree with the previous poster concerning the advertising that Alpha-Delta presents for the DX-B. I have never had any luck using a half sloper from a pole with a ground lead, although i have attempted it a few times during Fileld Day operations. You can make contacts but it is rather evident that that kind of setup is a very poor performer. My fence setup was considerably better.

As noted, I am very happy with the DX-B. It is a well made antenna, good hardware, easy to set up and tune, and a real bargain at the $25 I paid for it. I have not felt a need to go back to discrete half slopers.

W7KHZ Rating: 0/5 Aug 29, 2003 08:20 Send this review to a friend
False advertising / documentation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna a few years ago and have moved a couple of times. I keep trying to put this antenna up and give it another chance, hoping that I was doing something wrong each time. This antenna does not work as advertised. A single piece of wire out performs it with a tuner by several yards(dB). A 40 meter sloping, inverted V, etc. dipole fed with ladder line and a tuner loads better and easier than this thing. On any band! The instructions call for "optional" downlead and "optional" ground. In order to get this thing close to a load you better have both options and an ocean nearby, if you do not have a 1/4 wave tower for the band you want to use. These guys need to read up on why both sides of the antenna are best to have, and not ignore a good solid ground. Hey Alpha! I appreciated the learning experiance on basic wire antenna construction. Without this thing, I would not have read so much about trying to fix something I wasted money on. Of course I also could have bought a Yugo and had as much fun.
KG6ZZZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2002 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Gud for limited space  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great antenna for limited space. It's not a full size for 160meters, but it will work there and can be adjusted for low SWR even on 160 but not much bandwidth of course. It needs a beam above it for a capacity hat and a good tower/mast connection for the other half of the antenna. Previous comments that it is a great antenna for what it is, is correct.
K6EGW Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2001 21:08 Send this review to a friend
160 tip  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great antenna but to tune on 160 requires a bit of thinking. You should open up the angle of the wire legs by lowering the tower. I have a tower with motor so that's no problem. Going from 72 ft to about 45 feet made the wire tune on 160. Flat Swr. I thought it was the length, but it's the angle. FYI.I have the 160, 80, 40 model. It's a great ant. on 80 with a KW. DXCC in no time. Quiet in my location.