Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Alpha Delta DX-B Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-B
Alpha Delta DX-B Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: 160/80/40/30 Multiband Quarter Wave Sloper
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-B.

W8BBM Rating: 1/5 Jan 5, 2004 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Might as well shut the rig off.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna new and couldn't have been more dissapointed. I have put up MANY antennas in my 22 years in the hobby but this antenna is simply a waste of time and money. I pruned and adjusted this thing to death with poor results. SWR was hardly ever better than 3:1 anywhere and my DL was better on receive. I ended up selling it to some guy for $30 and felt like I was stealing from him. I was honest with him though and wished him better luck than I had with it.

W8JN Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2003 06:55 Send this review to a friend
outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
as indicated in the instructions, this antenna works best when attached to a tower. paid $10 at a hamfest. the best $10 ever spent.

K3UD Rating: 4/5 Aug 29, 2003 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Does what is promised IF setup is right  Time owned: more than 12 months
About 18 months ago I purchased an Alpha Delta DX-B off eBay for $25. I have always liked half slopers and was using them for 160, 75, 40, and 30 meters and figured that if one wire could replace 4 wires, it could clean up the look in the back yard and make my wife feel better about the antenna clutter.

It should be noted that half slopers, in order to really perform, need to be mounted on a tower and preferably a tower with a large tribander and maybe some VHF antennas on top.

The tower and its antenna stack becone part of the overall half sloper antenna system. As my tower meets these requirements, I have had very good success with single wire half slopers since I started using them in the early 80s.

The DX-B was mounted on the tower at the 35 Ft level and sloped down to a fence at about a 35 to 40 degree angle. My tower is well grounded and has a small radial system attached to the base.

The DX-B met all of my expectations as to performance. Bandwidth on 160 meters was very narrow as expected with the 3:1 points being +/- 15 kHz from the resonant point.

The lowest SWR I could get on 75 was about 3:1 which is what I was getting with my single wire half sloper.

40 and 30 meters had much wider SWR curves, as expected, and 1.2:1 resonance was found on each of these bands. I did have to do some trimming of the wire in order to get the resonance points where I wanted them.

The DX-B performs as well as my individual half slopers did on 75, 40, and 30 meters. Performance is just slightly down on 160 because of the shortened wire length on that band. I can run 5 watts QRP on 160 and make very satisfying contacts, and get good reports running 100 watts within a 500 - 1000 mile radius of my location. DX is sometimes worked on 160.

At one point, I took all the antennas off the tower to give them a reconditioning. For the week they were down I attached the DX-B to the top railing of our chain link fence at the feed point end and to a tree at the far end.

At no time was any part of the antenna higher than 7 feet. I still made lots of contacts on 30, 40, and 75 meters and was able to check into most of the regional 160 nets, although with rather weak signals.

I agree with the previous poster concerning the advertising that Alpha-Delta presents for the DX-B. I have never had any luck using a half sloper from a pole with a ground lead, although i have attempted it a few times during Fileld Day operations. You can make contacts but it is rather evident that that kind of setup is a very poor performer. My fence setup was considerably better.

As noted, I am very happy with the DX-B. It is a well made antenna, good hardware, easy to set up and tune, and a real bargain at the $25 I paid for it. I have not felt a need to go back to discrete half slopers.

George
K3UD

W7KHZ Rating: 0/5 Aug 29, 2003 08:20 Send this review to a friend
False advertising / documentation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna a few years ago and have moved a couple of times. I keep trying to put this antenna up and give it another chance, hoping that I was doing something wrong each time. This antenna does not work as advertised. A single piece of wire out performs it with a tuner by several yards(dB). A 40 meter sloping, inverted V, etc. dipole fed with ladder line and a tuner loads better and easier than this thing. On any band! The instructions call for "optional" downlead and "optional" ground. In order to get this thing close to a load you better have both options and an ocean nearby, if you do not have a 1/4 wave tower for the band you want to use. These guys need to read up on why both sides of the antenna are best to have, and not ignore a good solid ground. Hey Alpha! I appreciated the learning experiance on basic wire antenna construction. Without this thing, I would not have read so much about trying to fix something I wasted money on. Of course I also could have bought a Yugo and had as much fun.

KG6ZZZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2002 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Gud for limited space  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great antenna for limited space. It's not a full size for 160meters, but it will work there and can be adjusted for low SWR even on 160 but not much bandwidth of course. It needs a beam above it for a capacity hat and a good tower/mast connection for the other half of the antenna. Previous comments that it is a great antenna for what it is, is correct.

K6EGW Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2001 21:08 Send this review to a friend
160 tip  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great antenna but to tune on 160 requires a bit of thinking. You should open up the angle of the wire legs by lowering the tower. I have a tower with motor so that's no problem. Going from 72 ft to about 45 feet made the wire tune on 160. Flat Swr. I thought it was the length, but it's the angle. FYI.I have the 160, 80, 40 model. It's a great ant. on 80 with a KW. DXCC in no time. Quiet in my location.

AC0X Rating: 4/5 Aug 29, 2000 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Works OK for what it is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As long as you understand what the antenna is, it works pretty well. If you have room for a full length G5RV or dipole at proper height, do yourself a favor and put that up instead. But for those who don't, the DX-B is a pretty good compromise. Just remember that the antenna is a half-sloper and you need to follow the "rules" for installing a half sloper of any sort. Make sure you mount it on a WELL GROUNDED tower with ELECTRICAL CONTINUITY from TOP TO BOTTOM. Make sure you have a beam antenna on top of the tower for top loading. Make sure the low end of the sloper is at least 8' off the ground. Remember also that as in any sloper, it's the VERTICAL ELEMENT (the tower) that should be the primary radiator. Make sure it's in the clear, and some ground radials around it help some, too. Follow these rules and it's not a bad antenna for those of us who have the limited space. I have mine with high end at 40' and low end at 10' on a 50'tower with a 8 element LPDA on top. It tunes across the whole 40 and 30 meter bands, and has a small <100KHz bandwidth on 80 (hey, it's a trapped/short multiband wire, so you can't expect more than that). With my 100 watts (in the electrically noisy summer), I can say I'm satisfied with it's performance. I get decent reports from people I contact, and performance seems simmilar to my Butternut HF9V on the low bands. You just have to understand *how* to mount it and *what* it is.

W8AD Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2000 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Low Band DX Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This posting is for informational purposes on sloper antennas and the DX-B in particular. I have had my sloper up for over 10 years and it's the best low band DX antenna I've ever used. I've worked over 100 countries on 160 over a several year period and it's great. Its apex is about 48 feet on a crank-up tower with a triband beam 8 feet above and a down lead wire to ground. Any sloper has its own installation requirements, like any any antenna, for proper SWR and operation. If not adhered to, they will not work. They are: 1. The sloper should be mounted on a tower with a beam on top to act as a capacity hat. 2. The tower should be free of guys or other wire antennas. 3. A proper ground return path should be provided. 4. The sloper wire should not be close to gutters or roof tops. These details are on the Alpha Delta Web site at www.alphadeltacom.com There are thousands of DX-B and DX-A slopers out there doing a great job. BUT--they must be installed correctly to work properly. The inductors are an integral part of the design and provide multi-band operation

K2OWR Rating: 1/5 Aug 15, 2000 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Is this a joke?  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I first bought this, my friend took one look at it and said "take out those coil thingys and connect all that wire together, then maybe it will work"....he was dead right. This thing is the worst ripoff I've ever seen. Especially if you believe the claims for operating it on 160. I tried it every way suggested and couldn't get it to load anywhere reasonably. Perhaps a tuner might help, but then what's the point?