Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG YT-450 Help

Reviews Summary for LDG YT-450
LDG YT-450 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $229.00
Description: Automatic antenna tuner

You can write your own review of the LDG YT-450.

G3VIR Rating: 2/5 May 23, 2014 04:16 Send this review to a friend
Experience of using the FT-950 with YT-450  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my YT-450 over a year ago to go with my Yaesu FT-950. I found it a bit slow and probably not as good as the built in ATU. One day I noticed a burning smell and when I took it apart it had cooked itself when I was operating 6 metres. I was running 70 watts CW.
I did request the circuit but it seems it is not available. Since this has happened I have heard of another person with the same problem. Looks like this product needs to be down rated power wise. LDG did ask me to send it back for review/repair but living in the UK the costs involved would be very high. This problem only happens on 6 metres.
Before the burn up I was quite happy with it. I have now made a ATU for 6 metres whilst I look to buy a higher rated product, maybe the AT-600PRO

26JLH Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2014 16:55 Send this review to a friend
sounds like a rattle snake in a lucky dip  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
good tuner for the 450d,but it is very noisy but so am i so i will not worry.
its a good door stop as well seems to tune well and does the job like a morris minor of an atu not a jag
thats for sure but it does the job nicely if you ask me .. m0prf ..

K4TTO Rating: 3/5 Mar 25, 2013 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Problem with my YT-450  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently gave a positive review of the LDG YT-450 autotuner that I use with my FT-950 and must ammend my comments. I am experiencing 2 problems that LDG does not have an answer for. #1 After using the tuner on any band other than 40m. it cancels the 7mHz presets in the CW portion and the data has to be reentered. #2 When using the tuner on other bands and going back to 10mHz, the tuner goes through a complete tuneup cycle and does not "remember" the previous settings on that band. In both cases LDG uses the excuse that I must have a groundloop problem, which I DO NOT have, and will not offer any further assistance. Is anyone else having a similar problem with the YT-450???

PU2NBU Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2013 08:40 Send this review to a friend
The Perfect Match!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mary & Joseph

Black & White

Cheese & Burger

Lippy & Hardy

Minnie & Mickey

Mr. & Miss Smith

Yaesu FT-450D & LDG YT-450...no further to say!

73!

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2013 01:13 Send this review to a friend
Exellent performance.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Its so easy to get it up and running.Just press the tune button and away it goes,it sounds like a rattlesnake whist tuning but does what you want it do in seconds.Its the perfect partner for my FT 450,i love it.

KB3NFM Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Quick & Easy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use it to tune my Yaesu FT-450D and EARCH 6-80M 66í end fed. Installation is simple and once the correct settings are programed itís simply a matter pushing the tune button once and letting it do its job. Once the frequencies are in its memory it tunes up quickly and efficiently. The first time you push the magic button the relays are a little noisy and disconcerting but after that it just sits there and does its job with out any fussing about. For me quick and easy are good things.

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2012 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Push and go!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased two of these - one for each antenna socket of my Yaesu FT-950. I am a big user of LDG products and have been pleased with all my purchases.

Some observations:

1: When you look at the LDG comparison chart, this little tuner has the widest impedance range and is very economical on power.

2: Another reviewer said it was kicking his rig about, that's the cat control sensing the band etc, producing a lower power AM carrier and then restoring the mode/power to normal. Nothing to worry about.

3: It IS a memory tuner so if you have tuned a frequency before and the antenna has not changed it takes just a second to tune.

4: Although other LDG tuners are fully automatic, whistling down a mic or turning off the CW keyer to produce a carrier, or switching to AM keying up and then switching back again seems less user friendly than just pushing the tune button on this rig-specific tuner. If you operate other close-by rigs on HF, there is also the advantage, stray RF from other antennas will not initiate a false tuning cycle.

4: The build quality, dealer support (I use ML&S in the UK) and manufacturer support (the Yahoo LDG group is monitored/used by LDG themselves) is the reason I own 4 LDG tuners now, and have owned other models previously - only ever selling on to buy another model.

K4SHQ Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2012 05:42 Send this review to a friend
It does seem to work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got a YT-450 to go with my FT-950. It does work. It seems to take a while to settle in on the correct settings, but has been able to tune my DXE-MBVE-2 on 80/40/20 & 10.

I also have an Icom 706MKIIG that I used with an MFJ 929. It also worked well and was faster. Oddly when I opened the 929 up I found some unsoldiered wiring, so I'm not sure how it worked. The soldiering is now fixed.

I'm not sure which is best but I like both.

N4OGA Rating: 3/5 Apr 23, 2012 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Oops  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, I just had to have one since after all it's made for the FT-450. The unit worked fine tuning my 160M coax fed dipole on any band with no problems. This thing will sure jerk your rig around A LOT, automatically flip-flopping between bands. I'm sure it was designed around the FT-450 operating system but it is a work-around at best. Go with one of the non rig specific tuners if you must have an auto tuner.

W2OSR Rating: 1/5 Feb 22, 2012 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Buy an MFJ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Even after it was checked out by LDG it still couldn't tune my antennas as well as the built in auto tuner. So I sold it. I am now using a MFJ-993B with the MFJ interface connected to my FT-950. I now have the perfomance I was looking for.

I never thought I would be saying buy an MFJ.