Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Wilderness Sierra Help

Reviews Summary for Wilderness Sierra
Wilderness Sierra Reviews: 28 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $245 with 1 band module
Description: A battery friendly multiband QSK CW rig of circa 3W output
More info: http://www.fix.net/~jparker/wilderness/sierra.htm

You can write your own review of the Wilderness Sierra.

AA3EJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2006 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP rig ..fast QSK!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finished building and aligning my Sierra with KC2 option a few weeks ago and have been having a ball on 40m..Very easy kit, manual is most informative on customizing the available options, (added the KC2 keyer,wattmeter, digital display) and what a fun QRP radio to build and use. I especially liked the adjustable bandpass filter (ABX) on the front panel, wished other "big" QRP companies had that feature. Now I have spent considerable time researching the available mods offered over the years and ..yep, you got it.. will be running the Sierra at the QRP "kilowatt" level in a few days!..Love that fast QSK..Keep up the great work QRP Bob..your tech service is outstanding..See you on 30m or 40m QRP freq..Dave, AA3EJ/QRP [ham since '57, QRP CW past 30 years!]

N0NBD Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2005 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio Kit!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished building my Sierra. It all aligned perfect the first time. I had a cold solder joint on one toroid and QRPBOB was very helpfull on the phone and a couple E-Mails to help me get it running. Was not hard to build at all and the outcome is a GREAT radio. Buy one you will enjoy it.

de Paul N0NBD ar sk..

W0LC Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2005 08:50 Send this review to a friend
The Best Ever!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this little radio! It works great, built great, hears great and get's out.
I love the fact it is a transceiver and you can use it vs. just being a transmitter. It has exceptional selectivity and sensitivity. Well documented, easy to use, etc.

Get one, you won't regret it!

W5CGH Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2002 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Wilderness Sierra with KC-2 in the fall of 1996, and it is truly a great portable radio. Wayne did a superb job in the design. I bought modules for 160, 80, 40, 30, 20 and 15 Meters, but have never built the modules for 160, 80 or 15. I've used the Sierra several times as the primary radio on Field Day, as well as several FYBO and Flight of the Bumblebees contests, and it has never failed to perform.

I also bought the BuzzNot noise blanker, but have never installed it.

If you're buying a Sierra, be sure to spend the extra money to buy the KC-2. It is money well spent in terms of getting on frequency. I have only used the KC-2's internal keyer once or twice as I "always" use my CMOS Super Keyer III, but the KC-2 keyer seemed to work well.

Brad, W5CGH

K1ZYW Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2002 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Great kit, great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built the Sierra a few years ago and now have all plug in modules built and working to spec

Not a beginner's kit. Get a couple of easier kits under your belt or get an Elmer to check your work. I have built dozens of kits and this one - goes together very well. Tech support (Bob) is excellent.

The rig is AWESOME. Keys well, receiver is everthing it should be.

If you get one you'll like it alot.

Ken K1ZYW

VK2KET Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2002 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Camping Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Similarly to AA0B I have constructed the Sierra using the FAR boards and recrystaled as per the Noga qrp club Compendium. It outperforms my comercial home rigs on CW, and is a delight to use when portable, sensitive and very current friendly. So good that I now use it as the main one for home and have built another for portable operations. Not as easy as the Wilderness kit to construct but enjoyable nevertherless.
72 Alex

KO6Z Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2001 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Service Too!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not only is the Sierra a great little rig, if you ever need some help from the factory to correct a problem the support provided by QRP Bob of Wilderness Radio is first rate. Personal attention, fast turn-around, and very reasonable fees. I rate both the radio and the company a solid 5.

KB2NTO Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2001 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio already built so did not have the thrill of firing it up the first time. Having said that the first time I operated this rig was still exciting. I have worked 8 states so far and am very pleased with my purchase. I have compared the receive to other radios in my shack. Although not new these rigs have excellant receive and the Sierra hears more. Simply put this is a great QRP rig and very battery friendly. My Sierra has the KC-2 and Buzznot options....73 Ed

AA7JC Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2001 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I researched the kit market back in 1998 and was so impressed with specs of the Sierra QRP kit from Wilderness Radio that I bought one. I had a blast building it but the greatest joy of course was watching it come to life the first time I applied power. I have since taken it on all my camping trips and have logged many memerable QSOs. The receiver is top notch and the CW operation is flawless. The vfo is absolutely rock solid stable. I have a picture of my Sierra on my web site at http://www.lotts.net/ken/ham/

AA0B Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2000 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Homebrew Sierra  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished building my Sierra from parts using the
Far Circuits boards. (Jan 2000) It took me several orders
from several parts houses. I worked on it in my spare
time. I have modules for 80, 40, 30, 20, and 15 meters,
and am working on the 160 meter module.
The Far Circuits boards don't have plated-thru holes so
jumpers had to be used to carry from top to bottom of the
boards. My 15 meter module from Wilderness Radio didn't
have this problem.
Good design, low drain, compact, well thought out rig.