Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ICOM ID-31 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM ID-31
ICOM ID-31 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $340
Description: 70cm handheld FM/D-Star transceiver with built in GPS and micro SD slot

You can write your own review of the ICOM ID-31.

NZ3Y Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2013 08:13 Send this review to a friend
D-Star made easy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like ZL2UFI, I own three D-Star radios, but it was not until I got the ID-31 that I really started to enjoy operating D-Star. The factory-preprogrammed repeater list and built-in GPS make finding a repeater very easy. The controls are much simpler to operate than my IC-92AD, and the display is better as well. This radio is very compact and the solid feel of Icom quality is there. Battery life is good with the standard battery, but I would recommend the high capacity battery if you intend to use the GPS feature extensively. The UHF only feature is not a disadvantage to me, since there are many UHF repeaters in the region. Having the cloning software included with the radio is a nice touch. Up until now, that has been a costly extra. The ID-51 dual-bander has just hit the stores, but at $600+, I won't be running out tomorrow to pick one up. The ID-31 represents a move by Icom to make D-Star more user friendly, which is much appreciated.
ZL1TAP Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2013 17:28 Send this review to a friend
still a great little radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Id31a is still going great i have the id51a turning up tomorrow this should be a great vhf and uhf radio i will write a reveiw when i have played with it
ZL2UFI Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2012 16:43 Send this review to a friend
A good step forward...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This transceiver is my third D-STAR radio, I also own the ID-880H and the IC-92AD.

Recently the local ICOM dealer in New Zealand offered these up for NZD$399.00, a huge discount from their original
launch price of over NZD$520.00! I along with several members of the local club brought one. I knew they were UHF
only but I wasn't too concerned, as I also knew that the UHF DVAP was on its way (later released on 1 October 2012).

The ID-31A is really a new step on the D-STAR ladder of evolution by ICOM. Finally transceivers are getting closer to
connectivity that we have enjoyed for years in the PC/Mac world. It has a micro-SD card ability - so what does this mean?
It means that you can store the radios configuration and easily transfer it from the programming software to the radio without
expensive cabling! Plus you can record voice transmissions and other wonderful things! It has a build in GPS receiver
so you send your position or beacon via D-PRS (digital version of APRS). No one needs to ask where you are they are told on
each transmission.

The menu navigation is very easy to follow and here is the test I did. Could I open the box, unpack the ID-31A and programme
up the radio to work the local UHF D-STAR repeater without reading the manual - and yes, I could!

I have 'channellised' the memories for D-STAR usage, with memories set for CQCQCQ, linking, unlinking, plus non-gateway
usage (means you can talk locally without your transmitted signal going out on the gateway). I can easily switch between various
memory positions and link/unlink to repeaters/reflectors with ease.

Since having purchased the ID-31A and I can clearly see the improvement coming for handhelds in the D-STAR world.
Not sure why ICOM did a UHF only version first, but they have the new ID-51A 2M/440 (VHF/UHF) coming soon
so will be looking at that in 2013.

I have really enjoyed this handheld, it feels good in your hand, weighted well and a good fit (in your hand or shirt pocket).
It also works well on the UHF DVAP.

The programming software is a must any of these D-STAR radios, and I can't recommend this enough. I hope that this
handheld will last for years to come and that digital radio (including D-STAR) will continue to grow throughout the world.
I'll probably on sell this one when the ID-51A comes out as I don't need too many more handhelds. I'm sure other D-STAR
users will jump at the chance to get their hands on it.

The radio is pre-programmed for D-STAR repeaters and reflectors worldwide, while not exactly plug'n play it is almost there.
The file was out of date but was a good starting point anyway.

I really like this radio and so recommend it to others, although you'll probably want to wait for the dual bander, the ID-51A.
PE1GP Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2012 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, really a step forward  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio for its main intended use, D-Star. I was dissatisfied with my IC-E80D, which was too clumsy to really benefit from this new digital mode.

The ID-31E fulfilled my expectations and more. It's nice and small, especially the flat form factor is much nicer to hold than the previous D-Star HT's from ICOM. It's feature-packed, with a great display, great menu-driven controls which are self explanatory, and very handy features to use the digital modes to the fullest, such as GPS, call history log, call recording and several quick-keys for functions you use a lot while operating D-Star.

The one drawback is that it's 70cm only but I won't detract points for this as it was never intended to do 2m. Here in Europe most D-Star repeaters are on 70cm anyway, the only ones I've seen on 2m are private hotspots with limited range.

I love the way the the display was redesigned, there's a special mode for working repeaters that shows exactly what you're interested in when operating them, and for simplex there's another mode which suits that well. ICOM was clearly thinking outside of the box here and it paid off.

Because of all the features it requires a lot of programming but this can be done by removing the microSD card so it's not a burden, no expensive cables are necessary.

One thing I really like is the easy way to check the last heard log so you can see who's been active on the repeater/reflector you're on. It can even record everything that's going in and out. It can say the received callsign out loud if you like (or only for short 'kerchunk' calls if you prefer).

One thing I miss is an easy way for text entry, rotating the dial to go through the letters is a bit cumbersome. It could have a small keypad to enter text like a text message on a mobile phone. But there was no space by the looks of it.

The 'nearby repeaters' list based on GPS position is super when travelling. The 70cm limitation doesn't really bother me for its intended use although the ID-51 will be better and I'll most likely upgrade to that.

I like the way this radio brings out the best from D-Star, rather than just having an extra modulation mode tacked on. Finally some innovation.
ZL1TAP Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2012 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I give it 5 easy radio to use gps is great audio out of the its little speaker is good .Have used this hand held 70cm and put my ic2820 in crossband going though my dvap. Have had some good coments about the audio on dstar
G7UFJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2012 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Agree with most of the other reviews, only things I'd add are the supplied antenna is totally useless. A repeater which would normally give me 5/7 was not coming in at all, swapped antenna for my Watson SM270 which whilst not great has served me well, and signal was back to normal. With the Icom aerial on my Kenwood F7 (F6) it was also non existent.
Also the speaker is enough but not as good as the Kenwood.
It should have been dual band though, shouldn't have to wait for the ID-51
K5ND Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2012 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Perfect blend of high tech and simple operation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first D-STAR rig and only my second HT (previously IC-P7A). Very easy to program for both D-STAR and Analog FM Repeaters. Got the GPS-A fired up this weekend. What fun to see my route on Wonderful HT that I heartily recommend.
KI4GTJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2012 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a great D-STAR radio easy to use got alot more Your Room to keep all your fav REF. Even if it's UHF only It's a great all around radio. There is nothing that I can find Wrong with this HT
W6AAJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2012 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like this radio. The GPS is VERY fast and once you have a GPS link, finding the local DSTAR repeaters is a piece of cake. This is so convenient! Transmit and Receive audio have been fine. The display actually tells you something you can understand as it displays much more detail than other radios I've owned. Most of them limit you to a few characters. I'm a happy camper and I am glad I made this investment. I recommend this radio. It's great fun when the HF bands have turned to white noise.
KC0VOE Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2012 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best Dstar radio Icom has ever made. There is nothing bad I can say about this HT. The speaker is weak but the usability of the radio makes up for it. Best Dstar radio ever!