Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RigExpert TI-5 Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert TI-5
RigExpert TI-5 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $309
Description: RigExpert TI-5 is an electronic device designed to operate
phone, CW, and digital modes using personal computer and
transceiver. Previously, a TNC or sound card was needed for
this purpose, along with lots of cables, occupying computer
sound card and serial ports. All of this is not needed
anymore. Following up-to-date technology, USB interface is
chosen to connect RigExpert TI-5 to your computer. No
additional interface circuit needed for transceiver
connection.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com/index?s=ti5

You can write your own review of the RigExpert TI-5.

K7NG Rating: 2/5 Sep 18, 2014 07:49 Send this review to a friend
A disappointment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a RigExpert TI-5 as I needed a second interface for a second radio (the other interface is a US Interface / Timewave Navigator). Compared to the Navigator the RigExpert box is a disappointment.

The latency makes break-in CW an excessive challenge. This was not a problem with the Navigator.

I discovered that the sound interface on receive has a distortion problem. Though the unit is claimed to be capable of sample rates all the way to 48 kHz, I found that distortion rendered the signal nearly unusable except at 11025 Hz. It was apparent that even at carefully set levels the harmonic distortion present was excessive and very small variation of incoming levels (up or down) markedly increased distortion of the received signals. Again compared to the Navigator.

So why did I buy the RigExpert instead of another Navigator? To save $50. What a mistake that was.

K0MD Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2014 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this device as a substitute for my broken Microham Microkeyer II while it was away being repaired.
Set-up was very easy and fast.
Performance is out of this world - it exceeds what I expected and I can run S02v with my radio instantaneously.
All I can say is WOW! What a great product and at a very good price.
The support at Array Solutions is also FIRST CLASS with set up.

N5UWY Rating: 3/5 Oct 3, 2013 10:18 Send this review to a friend
I am sad about this.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The interface is great except for *one* thing and for me, it was enough that I took advantage of RigExpert's generous 30-day, no questions asked return policy.

If you want to run **FSK** RTTY using MMTTY you have to use the EXTFSK DLL. Furthermore, you *have* to use the EXTFSK DLL that has been modified by the RigExpert folks.

Since you have to run EXTFSK, you can ONLY run 45.45-baud RTTY. I wanted to play in the BARTG Sprint 75, a 75-baud RTTY contest. No can do.

Now, if you use MixW, this isn't a problem as MixW is able to use the magic incantation to send 75-baud FSK RTTY directly.

So I am sad. If you are into RTTY and if you like to run FSK RTTY in particular, using MMTTY, then keep this limitation in mind.

If you aren't into FSK RTTY, then you don't really need a USB, sound-device-equipped interface that supports FSK. Because of that, the field actually opens up a lot.

Other than that, which for me was a deal-breaker, the unit is well-constructed and the drivers installed without issue. COM ports were all where you'd expect (in Windows 7) and all functioned well.

N5UWY Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2013 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Preliminary findings  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Shipping from VE3 to W5 only took Tuesday to Saturday - pretty good! Got the IC-746Pro cable (when you get yours, relax, IC-7400 is the same model!). Installed it today, no problem.

Except MMTTY. I think RigExpert needs to make it a little clearer that not only do you need the EXTFSK DLL but you need *their* EXTFSK.DLL (that is modified to read the INI file that "splits" PTT and FSK between two COM ports).

After that, everything worked FB.

Keep in mind - I JUST set this up. I reserve the right to extend and revise my remarks!

Peter

N4SRQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2012 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Very impressed. Flawless operations.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This interface is incredible. True FSK, runs most digital modes, easy setup, built like a tank.

It took about 30 minutes to read the manual and hook up. You have got to love the single radio connection. Powered by USB that is one less power wire requirement for my small station. I use this with an FT-950, Win7x64 and HRD. Couldn't be happier with this purchase.

VA3MW Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2012 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have spent about 3 years working to get another until that was a very expensive and top of the line unit working from another manufacturer and had both software issues and RFI issues to deal with. Long story, and you can email me personally for the details at my QRZ address.

So, that lead me to the RigExpert TI-5. I am fortunate enough to be in the same town that Yuri lives in, so we traded a few emails and I met him on a Sunday to pick the TI-5 up from him.

I purchased the optional cables just to make life easy for my IC756proIII.

From the time I opened the box to the time I made my first PSK31 QSO was about 15 minutes. :)

After loading the software, I changed a few of the comport addresses to match my station.

The printed manual (all 16 pages) describes how to setup very popular software like digipan and mmtty. The other unit I had 'fought' with for 3 years has a great 57 page manual. :(

HRD was configured in about 90 seconds for both the CAT interface and the Sound cards (built in to the TI-5).

On my first CQ, I set the audio levels with the front controls (about another 15 seconds). An HI7 called me on the first CQ! How great is that!!!

At a little more than half the price of the other unit, I got the same features, amazing customer service and a box that "Just Works".

Yuri even told me that there is a 30 day money back policy (check the web site to review it). Much better than other devices that are "All Sales Final".

Now, this is what customer service is all about!

I highly recommend the TI-5.

I have to add more to my previous update:

I have now integrated this unit to my Steppir.

Now, when my IC756iii tunes, the Steppir tracks my frequency. Very simple integration.

Nice of them to consider Y'ing off the RS232 data for devices like this. It should also work great for RS232 capable devices.