Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Radio Shack HTX-252 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-252
Radio Shack HTX-252 Reviews: 116 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $179.95 plus tax
Description: 2 meter FM moble tranceiver, mini size. 10 memories, 10/25 watts, DTMF mic, 144-148 tx, 136-174 rx
More info: http://www.radioshack.com/

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-252.

KC8MWG Rating: 3/5 Jun 27, 2016 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for a freebie...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was just given an HTX-252 by one of the guys in our club during our Field Day event. I've been using an Icom IC-2100H mobile, but it just sat on my passenger seat as there is no place suitable to mount it. The HTX-252 is tiny enough to mount on top of my dash without blocking any of my view. Mic cord is disintegrating but I ordered an Opek replacement cord on EBay, and the mic still works fine (the cord is currently reinforced with electrical tape). Half the power on high as the Icom, and fewer memories, but adequate to hit the local repeaters (and I haven't used anywhere near a quarter of the Icom's memories anyway). Quirky to program (I keep a copy of the manual in my car). Not as good a radio as the Icom, but it's much more mobile friendly.

VE3LJQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2014 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Good at a good price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't understand some of the negative comments on this rig. At the right price it is a good compact mobile transceiver. I picked mine up for $60 and it has let me move a Kenwood TR7950 inside my shack thanks to its limited use as a mobile with its hard-wired CTCSS tones. I'm getting great coverage of repeaters where I live northeast of Toronto, Ontario.

N1RKR Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2014 01:56 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, Couple odd quirks, though...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a pretty neat little radio. And when I say little, I mean LITTLE. 32mm tall, 130mm wide, and 140mm deep. It mounted quite nicely in the overhead cubby in my GMC Sierra pickup. And with the speaker on the top, there was enough space left above it that the speaker (which is on top of the radio) sends the audio out nice and crisp (no need for an external speaker). Oh, and it stays nice and cool too because there is room for air to move around it.

I bought it (obviously used) about a month ago. 10/25w is plenty for local repeaters, especially if you use a 5/8 wave antenna. And even on 25 watts, it only draws like 5 amps max.

One oddity is that every time you turn on the radio, it starts in VFO mode, even if it was left in Memory mode when it was shut off. I just sorta got used to turning it on, hitting the MR button, and using the knob to turn to the repeater I use most every time I turn it on, but it is an oddity nonetheless.

To switch between High power and Low power is F and the PTT switch. This doesn't always seem to work for me, and I have to do it a couple times for it to "catch". Maybe it's a timing thing that I'll get better at the more I use it, but it's not as easy as simply having a hi/lo button on the radio like most others do...

Also, when programming, setting up the offset is done by using the F key on the microphone and the SHIFT key on the microphone. Sometimes you need to do both keys multiple times to get the proper shift. Awkward...

But to program the Tone Squelch, you again use the F key on the microphone, but then use the T-SQ key on the main radio. Again, when selecting between none, encode only, or encode/decode, the entire button combination may have to be done multiple times.

I think with just a bit of extra engineering, all of the functions to program it (like the F key and the SHIFT key) could have been moved to the radio itself. I suppose it could have also been done such that all programming is done through the microphone... As long as all programming button pushes are in one place, it would be better than it is now. It's awkward to be going between the microphone and the buttons on the radio back and forth...

I'm told that the cords on the microphones for these radios fall apart, and the rubber of the PTT on the mic also breaks off, but mine is in perfect condition, so I can't comment on that.

Reports from fellow HAMs say that the radio sounds clean and clear.

I really want to give this radio a 5, but the oddities stated above make that all but impossible. In fact, I'm sure a lot of people would say the above noted oddities would reduce it to a 3, but despite it's flaws, I really do like this little radio. So, a 4 it shall stay...

KC8QMF Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2013 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Good for what I do with it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased this radio as my first 2 mtr mobile. The 10 memories are really all I need to work the local repeaters. Small and inexpensive it has been a good workhorse. And if it get's stolen, I'm not out much. The mic cord came apart after about 5 years but another was purchased on ebay.
No product support but for what it is I'm not unhappy I ever purchased it. Also the 10 and 25 watts is plenty for my needs.

73 KC8QMF

WA7TGT Rating: 0/5 Apr 30, 2012 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Worthless  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The mic cord deteriorated and needed replacing. Of course being the Rat Shack product, it is not available. Now the radio is worthless because of bad products used in the mic cord and NO product support. I'll never buy a Rat Shack radio again. My advice is: Stick to Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, etc.

KB3UWC Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2011 04:51 Send this review to a friend
A Good Inexpensive Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio about 2 years. I picked it up cheap on ebay, in like new condition. I wanted a low cost 2 meter rig to put in the car. incase it got stolen. With a hustler 5/8 wave trunk mnt, i can get into most of the repeaters here in Pittsburgh, Even in the valleys. nothing but good transmit audio reports. The receiver is ok but nothing great it seems susceptible to ignition noise. I think i'll keep it

K4TB Rating: 3/5 Feb 23, 2011 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Still Working  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this rig in my car since 2003. The radio was very inexpensive yet still works well. Its small size and 25 watts made it easy to mount under the plastic dash and to hook up to a 12v accessory outlet without having to drill through the firewall for power. A couple of ferrite chokes on the power cord and loops of the coax cable cured a slight hum on TX. The only other problem has been having to repair with electrical tape some splits along the microphone cable due to heat rot.

I would give it a higher rating but the ergonomics leave a little to be desired. For example, I like to scan repeaters and listen while I drive but I have to press the VFO/M button on the radio, then the scan/pause button on the microphone, each time you turn it on. The mic scan/pause button isn't easy to find without looking closely at the microphone - quite distracting when driving. All-in-all however, the radio has served me well.

N4KXO Rating: 3/5 Aug 24, 2010 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For the price it's a good 2M rig. No bells and whistles. Just a 25 watt radio that works well with local repeaters. Fairly easy to program. A very good entry level rig.

KD7QZW Rating: 2/5 Mar 18, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
good enough to stell  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
One of the first radios I got when I got my ticket just like everybody in 2002 lights burnt out the first 6 months but still worked fine with no completes. .then I'm not a digi-guy I'm a talker. story short everybody bad mouths the rig but ya know, some jerk for short of a word to keep this a post stole it out of my van. Hope crack-headís likening it

RADIO_RANDY Rating: 3/5 Oct 6, 2009 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Okay for the price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I paid $159 for mine about 5 or 6 years ago. It's size made for an easy install in my Toyota. I never noticed the audio output problem because I had to use an external speaker from the start because of the location.

This radio has given me good service in all the years I've had it in my mobile. If low transmit audio is a problem, I simply speak up. RF output has been sufficient even with a 1/2 wave fender mounted vertical. Since I generally only operate on one local repeater, channel memories have never been an issue. Lastly, it's relatively uncomplicated operation makes it a cinch for anyone to operate the radio, however...

My first gripe is that the radio always comes up in VFO mode when turned on. The simple solution was to leave our local repeater pair on the VFO. My second gripe is that even with all the buttons on the mike, you cannot program frequencies with it. It is strictly for DTMF use (and we don't even have a "patch" on our repeater). My third gripe is that there are no replacement parts for the mike. I lost the PTT rubber within the first 2 weeks I owned the radio. The replacement mike cost me $50 (1/3 the cost of the entire radio)!

Overall, this radio is (was) a decent buy if:
a. You generally frequent a single local repeater
b. You don't need lots of power
c. You are cramped for space
d. You truly dislike "complicated" radios

All in all, if I didn't already own this radio, I wouldn't buy it now. However, it works well enough that I'll probably keep it until it dies.