Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Radio Shack HTX-252 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-252
Radio Shack HTX-252 Reviews: 115 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $179.95 plus tax
Description: 2 meter FM moble tranceiver, mini size. 10 memories, 10/25 watts, DTMF mic, 144-148 tx, 136-174 rx
More info: http://www.radioshack.com/

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-252.

KC8PMM Rating: 3/5 Jul 2, 2001 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Bare Bones, but OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The HTX-252 is not a "successor" or even "next generation" to the 242. It's totally different and scaled way down. I think RS is trying to cater to different markets to see what is the most profitable.

After doing the deviation adjustment (turned it WAY up) and resetting the memories, the radio works fine. The memory set function is a little quirky if there are already memories programmed. It's better to start with a "clean slate."

I don't know about any other problems, but I think this radio is barely worth the $140 I paid for it used. It's more likely not worth $170, but that's not very much, either, considering that's the inflated list price. I'll bet it will end up around $150 or even $129 on sale.

It's really small and 25 watts is sufficient for most local work. You can get much better gains in performance with a good antenna than by doubling the power. I usually leave my 45 watt Kenwood set at 5 watts unless I am 30 miles away from the repeater.

I think it's a great backup radio or starter radio. I'm using it as a base station, since I don't use it enough to warrant a $350 radio for that. If you're not a scanner fanatic or you don't need every repeater in your state programmed, it's perfect. (It has 11 channels, counting the Call frequency).

KE3YO Rating: 2/5 Jul 2, 2001 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Not worth it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works well except the memory wouldn't work on the one I got. Found it easy to get on packet. Got good audio reports. But as the other hams have pointed out, for a few bucks more you can get a rig with a lot more features and more power from ICOM or Kenwood. I plan to return this rig to Radio Shack for a refund. Radio Shack has apparently dicontinued this model and no wonder.

KD5OMZ Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2001 10:21 Send this review to a friend
good overall; low audio output  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my ham ticket this past month, and this is my first rig. I got a good deal on it considering I got the rig (like new), a power supply, and an antenna for an old Palm III PDA. Though I certainly wish it had more features, like entering the frequency from the keypad. My only complaint is that a lot of people tell me my audio is low. How do I change this? A previous review said it (the deviation) could be changed by "rv2". What does this mean, and what do I change it to? Any help would be much appreciated!

AG4ET Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2001 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Fine rig at sale price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like this rig, especially the small size. Have mine running off the DC outlet in the car, since it only takes 4 amps on transmit. Easy to set up, even without the manual. Wish it had more than 10 memories and scanned on power-up, but knew what I was getting before buying it (unlike many who have reviewed the rig.) Best buys are at a hamfest ($130), OK on sale at $150, but forget it at list price. Not as full featured as my IC-2100H, but fine as a second rig.

KC8RFC Rating: 2/5 May 21, 2001 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Bare Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well last month I bought one of these radios from RS the radio seems to be operating alright except for a low audio problem. It is a good backup radio it just contains the minimum it could include better audio (transmit) 50w out, run cooler, and have more memmories. But if you really dont need the 50w the radio is a good cheap radio (even though I wouldn't even attempt packet).

KF9NF Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2001 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Good Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my HTX 252 last weekend at Dayton Hamvention for $129.95. I'm using it for a backup base. It was easy programming the 10 memories, the audio reports so far are good, the incoming audio is good. A basic, simple radio - I don't miss all the accessories that come on a full-featured radio. No direct entry of frequencies, but you can do all the necessary entry work directly through the mike. Altogether, not a bad radio for the price.

KC5JHW Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2001 14:51 Send this review to a friend
So far So good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was going for an ICOM or Kenwood until I saw the sale for $149 (no S&H charges). That tipped the scales to the HTX-252.

The radio was very easy to install and everything worked as advertised. Over the air signal reports have all been fine. The Rx audio isn't as strong as my Icom IC-280 before it died but was plenty good.

I would have appreciated a schematic and pin-out.

The lack of direct entry is irritating.

I would not have purchased it at the regular price but for $149.00, I am quite pleased.

KD7CJO Rating: 3/5 May 1, 2001 15:14 Send this review to a friend
nice, but could be better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought rig new and soon after started to have problems with the radio losing trans. audio during qsos. it would just stop talking but, would still show output on bargraph. had good audio when it would talk. I also had to replace the lights with l.e.d.s after about a year of use(left on all time) I also have had probems with a bad power ground. works fine with a battery but not off a power supply. not supplys fault as it ran another radio just fine(no hum) nice radio but could use some improvments. opened up for RACES use

KK4RF Rating: 1/5 Apr 30, 2001 21:13 Send this review to a friend
BAD NEWS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the HTX-252 yesterday on sale for 149.99. I took it home and tried it out using a well-filtered 12 volt power supply and an indoor antenna. My first contact----reports of terrible transmit audio. I took it outside and hooked it up to my Ford F-150, engine off, and hooked it to my 5/8 wave mag mount antenna on the roof of the F-150. Made several contacts through 2 different repeaters. Everyone I talked to gave me terrible audio reports. I figured the rig had to be defective so I took it back to RS today. They swapped me for their floor model (on display.) I happily took it home and hooked it up again. Again, everyone gave me terrible audio reports. And then some other poor slob got on the repeater. He sounded as if he were talking with a mouthful of mashed potatoes. I was told he was using an HTX-252! I'm quite depressed at this point. I'm hoping that I can get a refund when I take it back later this week. I wish I had been given good advice ahead of time. I had read the ARRL QST review some time ago and it seemed they had given the radio a good review. Anyway, I would have to say I would never buy another Radio Shack ham rig again(except that I had bought their 10 meter rig 10 years ago and it's been a fine performer. Also my old RS 2 meter HT has been a good rig too.) CAVEAT EMPTOR!

KF6HFC Rating: 2/5 Apr 24, 2001 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Missing Major Feature  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this for nothing more than a small 2M mobile for my commuter car. While it does perform suitably for the bare minimums the major thing that has made me detest this radio is the lack of direct entry.

At first it didn't seem important as I just wanted my simplex and repeater freqs in the thing. Now that I want to add some freqs from the extended receive I waste more time going up and down the dial than it is worth. Not to mention that in some places the down stops working causing me to actually have to use the dial.

Their choosing to skip such a simple feature really reflects on how they cut corners on this model. I guess maybe I should learn... "you get what you pay for".