Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Chinese K4 Hand Key Help

Reviews Summary for Chinese K4 Hand Key
Chinese K4 Hand Key Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$25.00
Description: Made for the Chinese Army. Available on ebay by various

You can write your own review of the Chinese K4 Hand Key.

K8JHR Rating: 4/5 Jun 6, 2016 03:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Enough  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Chinese Army Changshu DJG-4 code key is crudely made, but works well enough. Attractive, sturdy, well built, key which, upon close examination, is crudely built with solid, but less than refined construction. Considering I paid $26 for mine, I am pleased with its performance.

My DJG-4 key is moderately difficult to adjust, in part because the adjustment screws have rather coarse threading and also the parts are not what I consider of high precision or close tolerance manufacture. Moreover, the tension spring is too strong. Nevertheless, this key CAN be tamed and it does work well enough - especially after I spent a little time massaging and adjusting it, and after I removed two or three turns of the conical shaped tension spring, which initially provides too much tension to work easily.

Out of the box, it lacks any sort of rubber feet or rubber pads on the base - having, instead, a coarse fabric glued to the iron weight in the chrome plated base. I removed that, and replaced it with 1/4 thick, self-sticking rubber padding - and now it stays put on the desk, even when I get a little heavy handed. This has the additional benefit of dampening the clunk or clatter of the contacts clicking during operation. I acquired the rubber padding from for around $1, and have enough left over to repeat the modification multiple times. Cheap and easy solution to noise and slippage.

So, as adjusted, and with a little practice, my DJG-4 code key works easily and precisely enough, and feels solid and durable in operation. I expect this to be a long-term addition to my station. While I do not award this key a 5-star rating, I consider this key very good value for what I paid for it.

Just MY take... your mileage may vary. K8JHR

W6LZC Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2016 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 30 years of not using CW, I have forgotten morse code. I decided to challenge myself to re-learn morse code and do CW on the air. The straight key that I had used when I was a Novice was no where to be found which is expected from moving around Southern California since I graduated from high school. Well, I needed a key for sending CW. I decided to go with a straight key rather than a paddle. I have researched many different brands. During the course of that research, I came across the Chinese K-4 straight key and it was reasonably priced on ebay. I ordered one from one of the many sellers of the Chinese K-4. The K-4 is beautiful and heavy. The particular model that I ordered had a white key platform mounted to the chrome base. Most of the K-4 being sold comes with a black key platform mounted to the chrome base. The K-4 operated without any problems noted. I did not noticed the spring tension as being too stiff. I was able to loosen the tension on the spring and satisfied with how it performs. The only improvement I would recommend is adding 4 rubber foots to the base to keep the key from moving around. If you are considering a straight key and have a limited budget, I highly recommend the Chinese K-4 key especially as a starter key for the newbie to CW.
NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2016 16:24 Send this review to a friend
problem solved  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took W4KPA's advice, and performed spring surgery.
Did the trick. Now "5/5" without reservations.
W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2016 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Great key with one tiny change  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Chinese military key for about four years, and I've been very happy with materials and workmanship of this very inexpensive straight key. Like a lot of people, I found the spring to be a little stiff. I did the same thing everybody else does. I cut off the bottom two loops of the spring. Problem solved. Now it has a very pleasant touch.
WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2012 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Bargain Priced Quality Key  Time owned: more than 12 months
These keys are heavy and beautifully made. If produced in this country would sell for over $100.00. The K4 and K5 are very similar but the K5 is slightly bigger. They are large solid keys and will not move around on your desk. I think they are a tremendous value. Grab one while you still can.