New to Ham Radio?
DX Cluster Spots
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
|Reviews Summary for OpenAPRS iPhone Edition v2.4.x
Average rating: 5.0/5
Description: OpenAPRS iPhone Edition brings the world of APRS right to your iPhone. Paired with iPhoneís built in map engine, Internet connection and GPS, OpenAPRS gives you access to check your APRS messages, beacon your position and view other Amateur Radio operators anywhere in the world.
NEW! Supports APRS messaging via push notifications. When an APRS message is sent to your callsign via APRS-IS or RF (if it gets igated) you can be alerted to the new message even when the app is closed.
NEW! Beacon your position while the app is in the background.
Send your position with any model iPhone by assisted GPS, cell phone triangulation or manual coordinate entry. Share your trip with your friends as they view you on their iPhones, APRS software connected to APRS-IS or on the OpenAPRS website:
Posted positions can also be viewed at other APRS websites such as aprs.fi, findu.com and APRSWorld.
- Callsign SSID support.
- Ability to change your APRS Icon.
- Auto beaconing on a user settable interval.
- Custom position comment.
- Breadcrumb creation to show your beaconed positions throughout your trip.
- Auto centering map on movement.
- Ability to disable the iPhone screen saver to use as a map during your travels
- Manual coordinate entry if desired for beacons instead of using automatic GPS coordinates.
- Supports sending and receiving APRS messages to your callsign + SSID. You donít have to be online when a message is sent to you, our servers will store messages until you check them.
- Distance traveled indicator.
- Estimated speed based on time and position change between updates (not to be used as an actual speedometer).
- Built in compass that works on 3GS or higher iPhones.
- Search for stations by callsign (wildcards accepted)
- Course and speed included in position reports.
- Station icons rotate to their reported bearing.
- Symbol overlay support.
Product is in production.
More info: http://www.openaprs.net
You are not subscribed to this review.
write your own review of the OpenAPRS iPhone Edition v2.4.x.
Jan 14, 2012 22:16
Send this review to a friend
APRS for the iPhone!
Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok... having seen a similar product on a fellow hams Android phone, and after taking the plunge and purchasing an iPhone 4S I looked around for various ham radio related "apps". I came across this APRS app. Having used APRS on a Kenwood D710A I thought why not?
Now many of you will no doubt say that this isn't "real radio" as I'm using my phone, but what the hell, itís still using amateur radio.
I am now using the latest update v 2.4.1 and itís great.
I use the app when commuting to work, out walking, or for long trips. That said the battery will take a hammering and you'll want to power the phone from an external source if you are on a long trip or for a full days use.
Note this from the iTunes description:
'Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.'
I managed to flatten the battery after about 4-5 hours continuous use, so had to call into a local electronics store and purchase a USB adaptor for the car cigarette lighter, to power the phone (re-change).
There are many options and also the ability to create objects for beacon such as a local event or a club meeting.
Beacon starts at 2 minutes with various options from there.
About the only thing I'd like added is the provision of SMART-BEACONING.
On my data plan the amount of data appears to be OK, although I have not measured the exact amounts used. I have noticed no real increase over normal usage, so you shouldn't have any concerns in this area.
Finally read the entire log on instructions prior to signing up for this app so you don't end up paying twice!
If you have any questions, problems, or suggestions about Reviews,
please email your Reviews Manager.