Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Ten Tec KR1B Help

Reviews Summary for Ten Tec KR1B
Ten Tec KR1B Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Electromagnetic iambic paddles that match the Corsair and other Ten Tec transceivers with built-in keyers.
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec KR1B.

WB5JNC Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2012 16:33 Send this review to a friend
A "sleeper"  Time owned: more than 12 months
(This review is technically on the KR-1, which is identical to the KR-1B other than the color.)

I picked up this paddle in a package deal a few years ago. It took a little bit to understand the way it operates, but once I did that I haven't looked back.

Just a few observations: 1) take the time to learn how to adjust it properly; 2) it is best suited for a light, precise touch and may not work as well for a "slapper" (if you understand my style description); and 3) the levers pivot (rotate) rather than having a straight lateral motion, which may be disconcerting to some users.

I'm not the only one who likes this mechanism. A poster on an email discussion group described his KR-40 (essentially a KR-1 series with a built in keyer) this way: "its smooth magnetic action gives [my] Begali paddle a good run for its money."

Like most hams, equipment periodically comes and goes from my operating desk. While other items from the aforementioned package deal are no longer in service at my QTH, the KR-1 remains, and I have no plans to change that.

N4EKV Rating: 3/5 Aug 3, 2000 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Interesting idea, clumsy action  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The KR1B works with Ten Tec transceivers like the Corsair that have a build-in keyer. The iambic paddles use an electromagnetic system to produce keying resistance. The result is a strange (for me) "release" as the magnetic field breaks loose from the resting position. These keyers are known for, and Ten tec used to advertise as a feature, their "clickiness" as characters are formed. I find the clicking annoying. The keyer itself is too light and tends to skate quite easily on the table. The gap is crudely adjustable, but seems to stay put once set.