Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain SPT-500 Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain SPT-500
Hy-Gain  SPT-500 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: Hy-Gain SPT-500 12/10M vertical
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=SPT-500

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain SPT-500.

W0DV Rating: 2/5 Mar 26, 2017 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Update!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased new about five years ago. Performs like it should no issues with performance. Unfortunately a winter wind destroyed mine. We had some gusts of wind of about 50 mph and the nylon parts of the lower base unit cracked and fell apart. This caused the antenna to lean destroying the mounting bracket and destroying the matching/shorting rods.
Another base unit for this antenna is about $50. No thanks.

The antenna should not have failed like it did in 5 years time.

KB1ZYQ Rating: 3/5 Jan 14, 2017 11:54 Send this review to a friend
swr  Time owned: more than 12 months
i wondered why my swr would jump up every time it rained. turned out upon inspection between the bottom metal and the bolt where the match sits arched out, it was clearly seen on the plastic of the antenna. surprising because i don't run high power. besides that design issue the performance is great for what it is.

KE0ETZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2016 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Assemble it correctly and it works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iíve read a couple questionable reviews on here and I can only conclude the individual didnít know how to properly assemble the antenna. I own both the original Hygain version and the modern incarnation offered by MFJ. The modern version is every bit as good as the final production run of the original and perhaps better due to improvements in plastics and manufacturing process. My SWR does not change in heavy rain. For the reviewer with this problem, again, you have either assembled the antenna incorrectly or you have bad feed line, perhaps you did not seal your connectors. No antenna is going to perform well if you have water in your feed line. I primarily use this on 10-meter with good signal reports on our local net as well as remote contacts when band permissions open. In the 30-years Iíve used these antennas I have never been disappointed. No antenna-matching tuner needed. There is no lossy tank coil at the base. This makes it easy to tune the antenna for a wide frequency range from 12 to 10 meter by merely adjusting the length. Iíve never had a problem with matching this antenna to the band I want to use, and I have never had a problem with common mode current on the feed line. Anyone giving this antenna less than a 5 is either trying to do something with it that it is not designed for, or lacks the understanding of antenna systems.

AE4XL Rating: 1/5 Jul 2, 2016 11:53 Send this review to a friend
RAIN NOISE HIGH SWR'S.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this antenna up for less than a year and when it rains I can't hear anything for the rain noise and now all of a sudden the SWR'S have gone above 4.
I haven't taken it down yet I am disable and will have to hire someone to do it,anyone have any idea's what I should look for as the cause? when I get it down.
ANY thought's would help.
THANKS

KY2V Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2015 04:33 Send this review to a friend
SWR length chart  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since Hy-gain didn't include a frequency chart to help customers initially set the SWR, I added this frequency chart that will get you close to the perfect length setting. 24.960 (center of 12 meter band)- 23 ft & 5 1/4 in, 28.000 (start of 10 meter band)- 20 ft & 10 23/32 in, 28.100- 20 ft & 9 27/32 in, 28.200- 20 ft & 8 15/16 in, 28.300- 20 ft & 8 1/16 in, 28.400- 20 ft & 7 3/16 in, 28.500- 20 ft & 6 11/32 in, 28.600- 20 ft & 5 15/32 in, 28.700- 20 ft & 4 5/8 in, 28.800- 20 ft & 3 3/4 in, 28.900- 20 ft & 2 15/16 in, 29.000- 20 ft & 2 3/32 in, 29.100- 20 ft & 1 1/4 in, 29.200- 20 ft & 7/16 in, 29.300- 19 ft & 11 19/32 in, 29.400- 19 ft & 10 25/32 in, 29.500- 19 ft & 9 31/32 in, 29.600- 19 ft & 9 3/16 in, 29.700 (end of the 10 meter band)-19 ft & 8 3/8 in

KC7JLJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 5, 2015 07:00 Send this review to a friend
1st review- MFJ SPT500  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the SPT500 to replace my fraying iMax2000.
The SPT500 appears to be good quality except for the clamps. I used NO-OX on the fittings and the clamps didn't seem to hold too well after that. I ended up riveting after I assembled prior to mounting to the tower. It took me about 4 tries to get the SWR down to an acceptable level. Here is where the problem I had begins. After taking the coax loose from the connector it pulled the center pin of the SO239 on the antenna out of the socket. I was able to get it back in, and SWR's finally got down where I wanted them. This is not as broad banded as the iMax as noted previously on other reviews. Evidently I don't live in an area that has a lot of noise as the noise level is about the same for this SPT500 as my iMax. I say that as I've heard others that say the SPT500 antenna has less noise.
I like the fact that it is aluminum and with the high winds we had after installation it seems sturdy and doesn't bend near as much as the iMax. My receive does seem to be better as well, not scientific by any stretch, just my impression.
All in all, I would recommend this antenna for a 10 meter omni.

N9XTF Rating: 1/5 Dec 9, 2014 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Super Penetrator quality issues bit me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After the original review, the antenna has been in service for approximately two months. The antenna is used primarily on 28.325 MHz with a Drake TR-4Cw as the exciter at a maximum of 150 Watts PEP. The first of December, the SWR jumped from 1.2:1 to 3:1 to infinity in a very short time span. Upon inspection of the antenna, it was found that the upper insulator, between the vertical section and the radial plate, had broken down and arced severely. This deformed the insulator and produced a large blackened area on the radial plate. I contacted HY-Gain (MFJ) yesterday; they agreed to replace the vertical section but commented that it would take a week or so to build. I stated that, due to the overall lack of quality, I wanted the entire antenna replaced, to which they stated it would take three weeks or so to build. At this point, they also wanted to argue that it was a lightening strike that produced the problem; there have been zero lightening strikes in Indiana in December. In addition, there were no other markings on the antenna nor was the gas tube protector taken out nor was there any other gear damaged. The only explanation I can come up with is that there is no place for water to drain from the radial plate; the radial plate is actually taller than the insulator. I suspect that water was laying on the plate and provided the initial arc path until the insulator broke down. When asked about the quality issues of the antenna, the gentleman explained that someone new must have been building that lot of antennas. When and if I receive the replacement, I will modify it with additional insulation between the vertical and the radial plate as well as drilling weep holes in the radial plate to dissipate standing water. I surely hope this is a one-off problem however; it seems to be not only a workmanship issue but an issue with material quality. In the interim, I have reinstalled my 18 year old A-99 to which transmit and receive signals appear to be very close in strength. I am now certain that I should have remained with my old antenna and steered away from the MFJ product.

W8ZT Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2014 09:44 Send this review to a friend
No signs of MFJ  Time owned: more than 12 months
Antenna seems unchanged since the late 70's. No quality issues. I have mine up 20' temporarily until my tower rework. I have worked countless DX with 5 watts pep from my KX3 . You might buy similar products cheaper, but unless I actually see the other I will reserve comment . 40 years ago I climbed my 40' tower and installed it myself. Now I had to have two neighbors help me with a simple installation. It is a long son of a gun.Wear and tear on the old body really shows up as you get older. All parts were there and the only thing bad was the hose clamps, not really bad, just could be better. Polish the joints inside and out and coat with Noalox and you should be set for a long time. 5/8 th's wave vertical is a classic DX performer

K4THN Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2014 22:16 Send this review to a friend
Most Excellent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Back in the day, the Hy-Gain Penetrator 500 was the cats meow...and it still is.
After running a Maco 5/8 for the last 6 years on both 10 and 11 meters, (with pretty good results), it got lightning bit being 60ft up on a Rohn 25G. SWR was still 1.4:1, but the RX just wasn't the same.
So I noticed the 500 being made again by Hy-Gain/MFJ...hummm...should I try it out?
Well, I ordered from R&L...the shipping box was actually more than adequate, no damage to the aluminum tubes. Drove a 5ft pipe into the ground with 2ft out of the ground, ready for the antenna assembly.
I did disassemble the lower part workings to see what made it tick. Found a internal 3" piece of 18ga wire soldered into the SO-239, with the other end crimped to a #8 lug, which went under the head of a long stainless screw which has it's other end thru the hard phenolic base, where the hairpin tuning rod mounts. I replaced this wire with 12ga, and soldered it to a new #8 lug. That's the only mod I made, other than using 2 stainless bolt type hose clamps at every clamp location position...nothing coming loose here..LOL.
Assembly on the ground mount pipe was easy.
I did shorten the radiator length by 8" so as to give it a better SWR spread.
After installing on tower, the results are:
26.815- 1.7:1
28.440- 1.7:1
Lowest SWR- 27.600
Of course, if you only want it for 10 meters, then set the radiator length a bit shorter. They only mention "for 10/12m use only" to get away from the all metal antenna sales restriction to the 11m users .
I can report most excellent results on TX & RX...with a bit of annoyance to the electrical power line buzzing I get now...humm..what is causing this...more so than other antennas at the same height..?
That's for another day to figure out.
Oh..and by the way, the first length of aluminum radiator tubing off the base is a much larger diameter, so hopefully it will not be the weak spot that bends on those Maco's in 70mph winds.
(if you want to chat with your thoughts on the power line buzzing being worse with this antenna, send me an email to K4THNatTWCdotcom) TNX!

KA7NIQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2013 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Good, But Nothing Special  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had one of these way back in the very early 80's, when I was first licensed.
I used it on 10 meters, and it did pretty well.
It covered from 28 to 29 mhz, under 1.7.1 swr, and it was well built.
But today, you can go on Ebay, and get the Jetstream and Maco 5/8 wave antennas for less money.
In fact, I just saw an 11 meter 5/8 wave antenna, with 4 - 9 ft radials on Ebay for 59.00 + shipping (12-3-2013).
It was either a Workman or a Jetstream Brand.
The Hy Gain antenna is built a little better, but I live in Florida, where Ice Storms do not happen.
I just can't see paying nearly 3 times as much for this antenna.