Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-80 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-80
Ameritron AL-80 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $700.00
Description: Compact HF Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.hampedia.net/power_amplifiers/ameritron/al-80-big-picture.php

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-80.

KD5RVO Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2014 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got this from my Dad, KG5BV, after upgrading my ticket to general. Has a new power supply board and caps, and a new Taylor 3-500zg, and it will consistently produce 1kw ssb! Great amp, forgiving, and easy to tune. It will be a part of my station as long as I'm operating.

PA9H Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2013 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Nice amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a few years I decided buying an amp for HF. A second hand AL-80 showed up and became mine. Happy with it so far. Previous owners did some undefinable work in it. The relay was treated with contact oil and failed function due to that. Therefore I replaced the relay by another one. This time a closed type. Working excellent after this modification. The tuning capacitor had a killing meltingspot due to misoperation.
This had to be grinded away to obtain the original gap yielding the max. arcingvoltage again. Although the cabinet has received some severe punishment and the bandswitch was abused, it's still working great, giving 700W TX power key down. The 3-500Z tube looks nice, performs even better. Overall the amp has a small footprint for stout power. It's quiet as well. At least good to start with even as it has had a rough life previous. The only thing is it's poor fabrication quality. Leads running all over the place and high voltage lead with dangerous thin insulation wilst running over sharp cabinet edges. This one I replaced by a supreme 10kV rated high voltage cable the way from the rectifier to the feedingpoint near the tube. However repair was needed, it remains a great amp!

K8DGL Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2006 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Nice and compact.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really small package but still layed out so you can work on it. Stout transformer should last and last. Can get more than 700 watts output with no problem. Fan noise was reduced by adding Dynamat pads to inside of cabinet. No wonder they are so popular.

KI4INB Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2006 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Back To Basics  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine in January. I am very pleased. It is modified for 12 and 17 meters. It maxes out at around 500-600 watts on most bands, but I can get almost 900 watts on 40 meters. I had to replace the original internal fan recently. With this amplifier I have been able to work stations that I would notmally not be able to as I only have a vertical antenna. Reports gnerally give me a 3 or more S-unit difference. I like the AL-80 and wish they would bring back this version with a little more power. It matches very well with my ICOM746PRO.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2002 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Stable, reliable amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great, reliable amp! My only problem is on 15 meters, doesn't want to produce full output. Heard from others that have trouble on 15 meters as well. Could have to do with swamping resistor. A must run on 220v, however....

73....

KG5BV Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2000 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Good product.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was Ameritrons first product. A single Eimac 3-500Z in a small desktop package for $ 699.00 (in 1984). I had to have one! I sent off my check, and a week later it arrived. Packed like a tank, bolted to a piece of 1/2" plywood, tube shipped seperately. I got it on the air in time for field day! Worked great.
Weak points? It was said to be "full QSK capable". So was my Drake TR-5, but between CW characters the TR-5 receiver would oscillate. The "QSK module" in the amp was really a capacitive voltage divider connected between the input and output jacks! Disconnected it, and the TR-5 was happy. Cheezy. And during extended operation, the cabinet gets HOT! I never experienced failure due to the heat, but other operators told me of melted solder dripping from the tube pins, and one even blew the tube and the plate choke! Guess they pushed theirs harder than I did.
And it's compact alright! When you have to work on it, it is so tight (especially in the power supply) that you must remove the transformer to do anything! Royal pain. But it never required much work. Other than disconnecting the "QSK module", I added the factory supplied 10 meter kit, and replaced a noisy fan and the 3-500Z tube a few years back. The Eimac tube was still going strong, but I replaced it just on principle and use it as a spare.
I still see one for sale every now and then. If you are looking for a good basic amp that will give you good service (don't push it too hard, contesters beware!), I highly recommend it.