Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Heathkit SB-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit SB-1000
Heathkit SB-1000 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $799.95
Description: 160-10 meter HF Amp
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeathKit_HFAmps/

You can write your own review of the Heathkit SB-1000.

RUSS324 Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 11:16 Send this review to a friend
A wonderful piece of history  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a very nice SB-1000 from a local ham. I hooked it up last night to my back-up radio Kenwood TS 450S. Worked great. Tuned up easy. I looked at the past reviews of this amp prior to purchasing. I am very happy with the performance of this unit. I have ordered a new tube as the tube in it is the original. I intend tu use it a lot in the coming weeks. Russ K8QF.

W4WSW Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2008 10:14 Send this review to a friend
I'm Imprest.. Very Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well what can I say, I get mine in a trade for one of those 811-H with no money back or anything just Amp. for Amp. and I'm telling you The Best Trade Ever in my life, this baby put 1,200 Watts key down, no arching no wierd things, It work Like a commercial one.

If true that I had to put some work in it but I don't regreated, Very nice Amplifier, If I had the chance I will buy another one...

73's de W4WSW
Luis...

W5VYY Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2008 06:22 Send this review to a friend
I love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
My dad always told me: “A good antenna is more important than high power” Most of my operation is on 160 meters. I have amplifiers that will run more power, but my favorite amp is the Heathkit SB-1000. Day in and day out it puts out 1000 watts on top band. Instant on, ready to go. Put your money in your antenna and get a SB-1000. Pictures at: www.johngammon.com

KB4BJM Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2008 13:55 Send this review to a friend
20 years and still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built mine about 20 years ago and it is still in service. It's always been there for me and I think it will out live me. If you get one the best thing to know is that Ameritron will service them.

K5BJM Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2008 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a ROCK!!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Has to be the best Amp I have ever owned! It tunes easy.It produces 1.2KW with 95 watts drive. This is a KEEPER!! If you wan't one, you will have to get it from someone else, because I am keeping mine!

TI2TL Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2006 18:42 Send this review to a friend
The best amp with just one 3-500Z  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok what can you ask more from an amp with a single 3-500Z? Absolutely nothing. This amp is great. I can push this amp to a max power of 1.2KW on a single tone (power read through my drake MN-2700). I mean this is superb. I know this is pushing the tube to the limit but tell me if it doesn't sound great?
Not to say the modulation, super, broadcasting, no distortion what so ever.
Looks well it is very nice looking if you ask me. I like the two big meters and the overall finish is good. I would recomed this amp to anyone and not just the person that is looking for a mid power amp but also to some that are looking for a superb looking very high power (in relation to the tube) power amp.

KB9BPF Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2006 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Found an unbuilt SB-1000 on consignment at the local electronics emporium going for the same price as it had been when new years earlier. Snapped it up - figured this might be my only chance to build a Heath amp.

Researched before building to see what mods should be incorporated. Found AG6K website very informative.
- Included AG6K's softstart, electronic bias control, QSK, and parasitic suppressor mods.
- Used a pair of 7.5KV 1000pF for plate DC blocking caps for better RF current-carrying capacity and three 0.001uF 3KV ceramic disc caps in parallel at "cold" end of plate choke to reduce RF into HVPS.
- Added 50 ohm/3W glitch resistor in series with HV.
- Put back-to-back 1N5408 diodes across meters to protect them in event of glitch.
- Used #20 teflon-insulated wire in filament circuit to reduce filament voltage to spec.
- Included NFB in cathode circuit for 100W drive.
- Since I tend to use 17M much more than 15M, I modded the 15M tuned input for 17M.
- Used different plate choke, the one Ameritron sells, to avoid resonance issues on 17M.

After several years of moderately light use I've never had any issues with it at all.

KI9A Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2006 07:37 Send this review to a friend
bulletproof  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this amp since 1989, with around 60,000 QSO's on it, with 90% of them contest Q's. Still original tube, but replaced the band switch & transformer. Not bad at all considering the heavy use!

73-Chuck KI9A

PA5COR Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2006 11:31 Send this review to a friend
GOOD  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got one here, had the softstart installed, some minor repairs and maintenance done.
Original tube still 800+ watts on 10 metres.

Will get an spare tube, that will do for the next umpteen years of fun.

Normally use it sparingly, and if used, just 500 watts or so, no need to overdo things here.

Like the look of it between the FT-100, and the FT-847.

Tuning is easy, had no problems here after the few mods were done.
Good value for the money if you can get one in good shape for an decent price.

Cor

KB5SCK Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2005 09:34 Send this review to a friend
very happy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i bought mine used about 6 months ago...easy 900 watts on 80 meters...i paid $500 and it came with all documentation and even an extra tube..after i had it for about 2 months, i fired it up one night and it did not come on, i checked the fuses and they were blown, after inspection i found the transformer was shorted...i checked prices on transformers and they were really high...i then saw an add on the ameritron website that said they repaired the heathkit sb 100's..i boxed it up and shipped it to them for an estimate...they were real good, the upgraded the transformer, up graded the plate choke and even replaced some burned out meter bulbs for less than what i could buy a transformer for anywhere else...i am very happy with this amplifier, easy to tune and a real work horse...i know i had some problems but that could happen with any amp and it is nice to know that parts and service if needed are readily available through ameritron