Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Heathkit SB-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit SB-1000
Heathkit SB-1000 Reviews: 36 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $799.95
Description: 160-10 meter HF Amp

You can write your own review of the Heathkit SB-1000.

W7KKK Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2013 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had an AL-80A a few years back and should've never sold. But I had just put up a beam and felt I did not have a use for the amplifier any longer. I picked up a very late production kit of the Heathkit SP-1000 that was built by an experienced builder in 1996. After playing with this amp just a bit I think it is built better than the Ameritron amps it replaced.
This one has the original 3-500 Z tube in it still with full output today.
It's really hard to beat a single to platform for the power that you get out of it.
For the $650 I paid for this amp and excellent condition it made a great buy.
KM4CI Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 11:23 Send this review to a friend
ASTOUNDING AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
____Have owned this SB-1000 and many other amps over the years. Truly astounding performance...especially if you have 248-251 volt mains...which equates to about 3500 plate voltage...which means higher efficiency and less heat. PLEASE be advised...although these amps will easily produce 1000-1200 watts of PEP output...the tube well as the tube manuals...recommend that you NOT exceed 50% greater than the plate dissipation value of the tube...plate dissipation value of the 3-500Z is 500 watts. This means for best linearity and proper operation of your should NEVER exceed 750 watts PEP output when using a single 3-500....even with graphite plates. Besides...the fella on the receiving end will NOT see the difference, on his "S" meter between 750 and 1000 watts.....AND you won't be so annoying to those operating 3kc away...when you operate your amp well within it's linearity. --jim taylor-KM4CI
K2GAV Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 12:16 Send this review to a friend
It's like a old reliable pick up truck  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Dad built this when he retired back in the 1980's. I recently got back into ham radio and went to work on it. After a new 3-500ZG, some soldering cleanup, replacement of part of the bandswitch, installation of the Harbach soft-start kit, replacing the meter lights with white LED's, and a total refurbishment of the tank coil wiring and physical spacing, it works like new! Well, maybe better than new because the tank coil was never properly installed.
Anyway, now it easily makes a kilowatt on all bands with about 80 watts drive. I think it's ready to go for another 25 years!
DW1NPE Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2012 02:04 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my Heathkit SB-1000 at E-ham last November 2011 and Received it here in Manila before Christmas... It was the best gift that I bought for myself for my hobby. Used the amp with my Kenwood TS 930S and worked well with 90 watts in and 1 KW full output power on 240V AC Power.
W4WEA Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2011 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My first HF amp ... what can I say it just performs well and its not that god awful green Heathkit is famous for. Like others, I can get a KW+ out of it when pushing it to its limits. If you get a chance to pounce on one of these at a fair price, you will not be sorry.
RUSS324 Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 11:16 Send this review to a friend
A wonderful piece of history  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a very nice SB-1000 from a local ham. I hooked it up last night to my back-up radio Kenwood TS 450S. Worked great. Tuned up easy. I looked at the past reviews of this amp prior to purchasing. I am very happy with the performance of this unit. I have ordered a new tube as the tube in it is the original. I intend tu use it a lot in the coming weeks. Russ K8QF.
W4WSW Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2008 10:14 Send this review to a friend
I'm Imprest.. Very Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well what can I say, I get mine in a trade for one of those 811-H with no money back or anything just Amp. for Amp. and I'm telling you The Best Trade Ever in my life, this baby put 1,200 Watts key down, no arching no wierd things, It work Like a commercial one.

If true that I had to put some work in it but I don't regreated, Very nice Amplifier, If I had the chance I will buy another one...

73's de W4WSW
W5VYY Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2008 06:22 Send this review to a friend
I love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
My dad always told me: “A good antenna is more important than high power” Most of my operation is on 160 meters. I have amplifiers that will run more power, but my favorite amp is the Heathkit SB-1000. Day in and day out it puts out 1000 watts on top band. Instant on, ready to go. Put your money in your antenna and get a SB-1000. Pictures at:
KB4BJM Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2008 13:55 Send this review to a friend
20 years and still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built mine about 20 years ago and it is still in service. It's always been there for me and I think it will out live me. If you get one the best thing to know is that Ameritron will service them.
K5BJM Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2008 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a ROCK!!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Has to be the best Amp I have ever owned! It tunes easy.It produces 1.2KW with 95 watts drive. This is a KEEPER!! If you wan't one, you will have to get it from someone else, because I am keeping mine!