Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-G29T FM Dual Band Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-G29T FM Dual Band
Alinco DJ-G29T FM Dual Band Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $379.95
Description: 222/902 MHZ Dual Band FM transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-G29T FM Dual Band.

N2LAW Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2014 16:41 Send this review to a friend
I get a little thrill each time I turn it on  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sure, it's just another VHF/UHF dual-bander... except the VHF is 1.25m instead of 2m, and the UHF is 33cm instead of 70cm. What's not to like? Here in the Northeast, at least, both of these bands are -- well, if not exactly hopping, at least fairly active. I like to make contacts on lesser-used bands, so when I saw the DJ-G29T at an irresistible close-out price (sadly, it has been discontinued by the manufacturer) I picked one up. I was already an habitué of 220, but this was my first transceiver for 900 and I was thrilled to make a repeater QSO within minutes of turning the thing on. In fact I've had so much fun with it in the past few weeks that I recently grabbed another one at the same firesale price. Because after all, what's the point of having only *one* HT for a particular frequency?

Obviously, if you choose to buy the DJ-G29T it's going to be because you want to get on the two slightly exotic bands It covers. There's not really anything to compare it to -- it's literally the only HT in the world that covers these two bands, and -- while there are other HTs available for 220 -- your only other option for 900 MHz is converting commercial gear. Which is lots of fun (I'm getting into it now), but typically involves going onto eBay, which I hate HI HI. Alinco deserves respect for taking the risk of designing and marketing a rig that essentially is only going to sell in and to a limited customer base (both bands are unique to Region 2). I hope their decision to discontinue the DJ-G29T doesn't indicate that they took a bath on it.

But let me say this -- even taken on its own merits, without reference to its unique position in the marketplace -- this is a solid and enjoyable piece of kit. It feels good in the hand and the audio is outstanding. Battery life is good. I have not measured power output but I was pleasantly surprised at how much range I got on 900 using it in a car with the stock rubber ducky. Diamond has an antenna (SRH-229) tailor-made for this HT, which I tried, and my impression is that its an improvement over the ducky, but honestly the stock antenna isn't too bad either, at least on 900. I keep the ducky on much of the time so I can throw the HT into a bag and not worry about bending the more fragile Diamond antenna.

The radio's user interface takes a bit of getting used to if, like me, you're used to Icoms and Yaesus (and, nowadays, Baofengs and the like). At the end of the day, though, each brand has its own peculiarities and Alinco's don't strike me as any better or worse than the others. I like the display -- displays a lot of information and the font is very readable. The manual is organized a bit oddly, but I didn't have any real trouble finding the information I needed.

The radio is supposed to support full-duplex operation, which might actually be quite useful especially on two bands that aren't overly crowded. Find a pair of frequencies and have at it. At least that was my thought, but after I got my second DJ-G29T I tried to have a full-duplex QSO with a friend and wasn't able to get anything but a high-pitched squeal. I must be doing something wrong but I haven't figured it out yet.

I haven't procured the programming cable yet, either. (It's not as if there were hundreds of frequencies to program in, even in New England where 1.25m and 33cm are fairly popular.) So far as I can tell none of my "universal" radio programming cables will work with this HT and Alinco's interface is pretty pricy. However, with two G29T's and now a G7T (see separate review), it probably makes sense to get the cable. Especially snce I got the HTs at a bargain price, so I don't really begrudge Alinco the money. (By the way, it's nice that the G7T and G29T use the same drop-in charger -- I now can keep a charger in each of 3 locations and not worry about bringing it with me all the time.)

The belt "clip", as everyone says, is weird, and next to useless.. Personally, I don't usually wear HTs on my belt anyway, but I do like to clip them in place in my bag, and I can't do that with the provided strap. Whatever - I can buy or make one and screw it on if it bothers me too much.

All in all, I really, really like this HT. II, along with either the DJ-G7T or the Icom IC-T81, are the two HT's I now always take with me when I travel -- as I can cover 5 or 6 bands wherever I am. As I said in the title, I get a little thrill each time I turn it on in a new place -- knowing I might make a new contact on one or the other less-used band.

Highly recommended for anyone in Region 2.

Hope Alinco reconsiders the decision to discontinue though I'm sure that's a pipe dream.

AB1AW Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2014 10:45 Send this review to a friend
If you can find one, buy it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
'nuff said.

AC5PS Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2014 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Different  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It's not perfect but because Alinco went out of the box I give it a 5. I have been using it as a fix station into a KP-20 with good results even with about 2 watts. Programming is a little clucky but that's why there is a manual. Good audio and receive but had to use attenuator because of intermodulation due to the high gain base antenna.

AE7Q Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2014 23:44 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, minor nits  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to have coverage of 1.3m (not 1.25m) and 33cm. Nice radio. Not much to add to the other reviews, except:

1. If you contact Alinco's USA distributor via eMail about a PDF manual, you'll get one via return eMail the next day. Why it's not on the Alinco site (like the other scanned manuals, see below), is a mystery. However, it's better in terms of content (clarity, completeness) than I expected.
2. The PDF manual (apparently like the other Alinco PDF manuals) was SCANNED. That means you can't search for words, and instead you have to electronically "thumb through" the manual to find topics. Ugh! Review downrated to a "4" for this reason. This is my first Alinco radio, and it's an initial put-off.
3. Apparently excellent battery life (no need to recharge after brief usage).
4. The free (downloadable) software is functional but cosmetically awful (Alinco: Spell the word "frequency" correctly). One nice thing: you can update the memories separate from the settings!!!
5. For those used to the Icom "dual-receive" radio paradigm, it's bit different: You can only transmit on the "main" receiver frequency, but swapping the "sub" and "main" frequencies is trivial. It's just a different method.
6. Some of the radio's screen fonts are very small but readable. If you need glasses, you'll need glasses.
7. Nice charging stand, but awful "belt clip". I bought the one for the VX-6 ($9), but didn't like it.
8. It's nice that my RT Systems CT-29A RS-232 data cable from 2003 that works on Yaesu and Icom radios, also works here (requires a 3.5mm stereo to 2.5mm stereo adapter).
9. Tone squelch (on receive) only works on one receiver at a time.

N2MWE Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2013 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig, belt clip stinks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Criso audio, built solid. The learning curve wasn't that bad, once you get the hang of it, programming and playing is pretty simple. I bought the Diamond SRH 229 dual band antenna. Lets me get into a 900 machine thirty miles south of me. I give it a four only because of that alleged belt clip. You can do better than that, Alinco! Otherwise, good job on a nice radio that I hope kicks activity on 1.25 and 33cm.

W0RDR Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2013 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Once I found out where to turn OFF A.R.S., and started programming, I was really impressed with this little HT. It meets or exceeds all published specs (the RX is really hot), the audio is nice and clean on TX, and there's plenty of clear RX audio also. As others have commented, the manual leaves a bit to be desired, you can find a PDF of it on mods.dk if you're a member there. I'm looking forward to using this rugged little gem.

73!

W7MAG Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2012 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Works great! Reliable.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have one and have been using it in a "Cross-Band" configuration for several months now.
It's been perfect.
No problems at all.

Great audio and good sensitivity

Pros:
Been on 24x7 for the past 3+ months
with no signs of any stress.
Great audio!
Alinco has been VERY responsive to
all my silly questions.

I would definitely buy again and
would recommend to a friend.

Cons?:
It wasn't free.

N4XTS Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2012 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Great 220/900 HT, well built   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned one for about 2 months, and I have to say I am impressed with the radio. No, it's not going to hold a candle to my MTS2000's for 900, but it does a great job on it's own. And you don't need to haul around your laptop, RIB/CABLE to load repeaters.

Programming from keypad is pretty straightforward, once you get the hang of it. The manual is pretty confusing, and not having it in PDF (what's up with that Alinco/GRE?) means you have to tote it around with you. None the less, the radio has:

-Great battery life
-Stellar RX and TX audio
-Great display, very readable. Keypad is well laid out, buttons have good tactile feel
-Radio feels solid in the hand and comfortable to use for long QSO's, no play in the housing at all
-Water resistance makes it ideal for outdoor use and public service work

One thing nice is this radio has a VHF/UHF/1.2GHz twin, the DJ-G7T, which will most likely be my next dual band (not really any 1.2GHz here) HT, as it is identical to the G29T in all respects and uses the same batteries, chargers, etc.

Alinco really hit a home run with this radio, it is quality, does not feel like cheap plastic crap, and works very well. If they would do a re-write of the manual and make it available ONLINE like they do for every other radio, there wouldn't be anything to complain about.

The belt clip is annoying, but the Yaesu VX-6 swivel clip is an ideal replacement.

But don't like the two minor hangups deter you, if you want to get on 220 and 900, this is a great and only (sadly) choice.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2012 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Ok so far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
seems to work ok for me. I have had the GTX line for years and dont find that they were any better than the new alinco. Its nice to have VFO control and FREE software. works ok for me on both bands. Compaing this radio to a commercial unit is like apples and oranges.

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2012 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently purchased this radio after using commercial gear locally for 902 MHz FM.

General first impressions are that of a very good radio, although those who make a silly comparison to a GTX will invariably be disappointed. Closer to an apples-to-apples comparison example, it's not an IC-92AD in quality, but it is less expensive and it is solidly built.

Programming is a little weird, but the learning curve isn't hard to handle at all. Receive audio is very good, and the transmit deviations, power levels, and sound quality are excellent.

Kudos to ALinco for delving into this boutique market and developing this radio. A matching mobile would absolutely rock!

And then there's that instruction manual....oh well.