Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-G29T FM Dual Band Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-G29T FM Dual Band
Alinco DJ-G29T FM Dual Band Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $379.95
Description: 222/902 MHZ Dual Band FM transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-G29T FM Dual Band.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2012 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Ok so far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
seems to work ok for me. I have had the GTX line for years and dont find that they were any better than the new alinco. Its nice to have VFO control and FREE software. works ok for me on both bands. Compaing this radio to a commercial unit is like apples and oranges.

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2012 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently purchased this radio after using commercial gear locally for 902 MHz FM.

General first impressions are that of a very good radio, although those who make a silly comparison to a GTX will invariably be disappointed. Closer to an apples-to-apples comparison example, it's not an IC-92AD in quality, but it is less expensive and it is solidly built.

Programming is a little weird, but the learning curve isn't hard to handle at all. Receive audio is very good, and the transmit deviations, power levels, and sound quality are excellent.

Kudos to ALinco for delving into this boutique market and developing this radio. A matching mobile would absolutely rock!

And then there's that instruction manual....oh well.

N6AJR Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 11:44 Send this review to a friend
programmable on 900  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this a month or so ago. I have several other Alinco products and the quality of this one is very good , as is usual for them. I have among others the 2m/440/1.2g alinco radio so between them they cover 5 uhf/vhf bands. I hardly ever carry a HT but this does what I need and it is so nice the have a 900 mhz rig that I can program my self. YEA !! I reccommend this as a good rig, and would definately say if you need a 900 radio, then grab one. Now if they will come out with a 220 /900 mobile rig too, that you can program your self. One that covers 2m/440/220/900 and 1.2 g all in one radio would be a answer to a dream. These are all FM only radios but all 5 in one would clean up both The mobile and the shack.

WB3IGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2012 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Great radio/Belt Clip Issue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had this HT now for 2 months.. And update. Lots of people have complained about the belt clip or strap. Well I have a fix for that. I bought a Yaesu, part number "CLIP14" from HRO $8.95, solved the belt clip problem. It comes with the swivel belt clip and the part the screws onto the radio, no double back stiky tape or adhesive needed. Also the Yaesu part number "MH-57" speaker/mic from HRO $30.00. Screws right in and works great. The power button is still an issue but not a big one. Over all the radio works fine. Not too many 220 repeaters where I live and the 900 band is nill. I travel to Philadephia a lot and have fun on the 927/220 repeaters up there. Over all a great HT!!

K3TD Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2012 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Very good with just a few quirks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had my DJ-G29T for a month now and use it daily on 927 MHz and occassionally on 220. Overall I like the radio very much.

+ Plenty of RX audio and great TX audio reports
+ Good battery life compared to other ham portables
+ Easy to program with the RT Systems software
+ Excellent RX sensitivity
+ Easy to use (once programmed)
+ Nice size/shape profile

- Manual is confusing in places
- Have to go into the menu to switch from Rpt to Simplex on 927.5 with Auto Rpt set to ON

I also don't care for the poor belt clip, but don't use any 'stock' belt clip with any of my ham portables.

Overall, it is a very good performer on 927 MHz, which is becoming more popular every day.

KC2QBK Rating: 3/5 Mar 5, 2012 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Not satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a DJ-G29 a few weeks back.

Had been a using Motorola GTX in the mobile on 900 and a GTX HT once in awhile. These are great radios and this is an unfair comparison.

The DJ-G29 receiver does not have the sensitivity of the GTX HT and the audio output and quality is only fair.

Programming is not too bad but the Alinco manual fell apart within a day. What's with that?

Just starting to check out local 1.25M Band.
Activity here is just OK. This is not why i bought the Alinco.

I am not satisfied with this radio and would not
advise others to purchase one unless they cannot
get a used Motorola (and someone with software access) for 900. No comments about 1.25M.

Simply not satisfied.
I regret purchasing this product at this point in time. Maybe i will change my mind.

KC2QBK Rating: 3/5 Mar 5, 2012 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Mistake  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first impression after 2+ weeks.

No big deal.

Spent the last few years using a Motorola GTX mobile
in the car and a GTX handheld. FINE radios!
This is not a fair comparison.

The DJ-G29 receiver is weak compared to my GTX HT.
Audio output is LOW. Programming is fairly easy. The instruction manual is poorly written, IMO and fell apart almost immediately.

I might (or might not) update this review in a few weeks.

Basically, it's just OK.

W5RDW Rating: 4/5 Feb 29, 2012 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Meets my expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the little radio from HRO a few weeks ago and so far, it is pretty much in line with the specs they publish. It has plenty of transmit audio, with the measured deviation of around 2.7 KHz on both bands. Power out is per their specs measured on my Bird watt meter. Programming is a little weird and you must read the manual on some aspects of programming, but it is not a big deal to program in a few frequencies. I usually just let the radio scan (900 MHz) so I can find any activity in the DFW area, which has a few 900 MHz machines. Battery life very good. Have not had to charge it yet.

The ON/OFF button like the other posters have said is a pain to use. Whoever designed the button to have that much pressure to activate it should have their head examined!

N8JZI Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2012 23:57 Send this review to a friend
Would purchase again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this radio on February 6th of 2012 after waiting 6 weeks. Like other reviewers, I don't like that useless belt clip (handstrap) thing. I have replaced it with a ratcheting swivel belt clip that attaches with super strong foam adhesive available from theclip.com. I have also ordered a retractable safety lanyard from gearkeeper.com. in case the foam adhesive fails while I'm bicycle mobile. The only other thing I'm not too pleased about is the battery life. The 1200 mAh battery just doesn't have enough capacity for me. I guess I've gotten spoiled by the 1900 mAh battery on my Icom T70A. Since Alinco only offers one choice for a rechargeable battery, your only solution is to buy extras of this pricey little battery. I've never owned anything made by Alinco before and I have to admit that I was very leery about buying any of their radios. But after I got the radio and tried it out, my doubts subsided. This radio has a very solid feel to it and appears to be well made. It seems to be the perfect size. While many people have complained about Alincos poorly written manuals, they are not impossible to understand. It is important to BE PATIENT, read and reread if you have to. Eventually, you'll get used to their terminology and their way of doing things. It took me a few days to master this little gem. At this point, I've concluded that the programming on this radio is EASIER than my Icom T70A. And by the way, I did all of the programming from the keypad, not with software. This radio has very pleasant audio and the people I've talked to on it told me it sounded great too. The screw-in microphone plug is kinda weird, but it's not inappropriate or wrong, just different. I got into the menu and changed the main band dial to the right side of the radio (furthest from the antenna). Admittedly, the other dial is somewhat close to the antenna and could be an issue for people with larger hands/fingers. The operation of the on/off button on the side of the radio is NOT a problem, just different. I have not tried out the crossband repeat or full duplex features so I really can't comment on it. I've noticed that whatever frequencies you program into the main band are automatically duplicated in the sub band. This makes it impossible to program one band with 902 and the other with 222. Also, you CAN NOT transmit on the sub band at all, it is strictly for receiving. I hope this review is helpful to anyone who is considering the purchase of this radio. Bottom line, would I purchase this radio again ? Yes. Would I recommend it to a friend ? Yes. Would I recommend it to an enemy ? No, I went to 900 to get away from the mental midgets that are populating 2 meters and even 440.

KA3NXN Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2012 05:23 Send this review to a friend
Very good so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had mine for a little over a month and so far so good. I would have given it a 5, but there are 2 annoyances with the rig. First as others have mentioned is the fact that you have to hold the power button down in my case sometimes for several seconds or sometimes for 1/2 a second to get it to react. I have figured out that once I let go of the power button it does react. So to turn it off or on hold the pwr button down for at least 2 sec and then release it then the radio will respond. The second is the cheesy belt strap they designed for the rig. It's not user friendly at all, and if you use it the rig just dangles on your belt, and you really have to fumble with it to remove the rig from your belt if it's on the side of your hip. It should be really easy to come up with a much better design the will screw right to where their strap goes on the rig. Battery performance compared to my DJ-296 is significantly better. I ran it all day Saturday at the Richmond Frostfest from 08:00-15:00 and it was still going strong. The rig has some very nice added features too like variable mic gain which is unheard of on a handheld. Also most of the other features are programmable. It's good to see that they are using software to control a lot of the radio functions. Even the knobs on top the control the volume and squelch are programmable.
I'm really glad to see that someone is promoting the less used amateur bands, until now the only way to get on 900MHz was to convert an old Motorola or Kenwood commercial rig. Hopefully this will spur the other companies to look at these bands and start making rigs for more than just 2m & 440. Those bands are so over crowned it's not funny. Even here in central rural Virginia. And finally the price really needs to come down. This rig is more expensive than Alinco's 2M/440/1.2 rig, but I understand because this is the only rig of it's kind. Come on Kenwood, Icom & Yaesu. I hope you all are reading this.