Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | TYT TH-F8 2meter vhf handheld Help

Reviews Summary for TYT TH-F8 2meter vhf handheld
TYT TH-F8 2meter vhf handheld Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $67.00
Description: TYT handheld for two meters

You can write your own review of the TYT TH-F8 2meter vhf handheld.

W0TRJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2014 13:25 Send this review to a friend
5 Stars *****  Time owned: more than 12 months
No problems with this so far Radio.
Good TX audio reports /RX audio loud and clear!

I did the Mod on the battery charger as posted on the pasted review.

Programming software works fine,found on the net.

I like this Radio better then the Dual band Baofeng UV5-R,But this Radio only comes in a VHF or UHF model from the TYT company.

WP4OEK Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Great !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio is rock solid !! For the price is GREAT. Better than my Puxing PX-358. My Puxing was a real Lemon !

KZ4CY Rating: 3/5 Mar 13, 2012 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Ok Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read somewhere that these are software defined radios...

LOOK & FEEL
1. Overall the TH-F8 has a reasonably attractive finish.
2. It feels solid, with a recessed screen so that its less likely to get scratched. The keypad is recessed too so thats a plus.
3. 3 colours and the voice (useful when driving and you can't look at it) are nice; I like it.
4. Nice and light. Thank goodness.

PERFORMANCE
1. Its not hard to program, really, just look at what is front of you and don't don't think about how other manufacturers do it.
2. There _is_ however a bug in the firmware. After programming memories, randomly, when I turn it on they may not appear. Turning it off and on back again solves this but it needs to be fixed.
3. Performance with the supplied whip is atrocious. Even replacing it with a full quarterwave Jetstream 776 yielded little improvement. What does work (with the supplied whip) is a 'tiger-tail' or 1/4 wave piece of wire attached on the outside of the antenna connector. Again this is a known issue with all HTs and is not this radio's fault.
4. Open from 136~174. Woohoo!
5. The radio can be set to play a commercial radio station, but cuts allowing the watch frequency and resumes when done. Nice.
6. Radio advertised as 7W. Nope its 5.5 watts.

SPECIFICATIONS
Here are my test results:
60mA just being on. It oscillates from 60mA to 10mA when the Received Save mode is activated
89mA with back-light on, so 30mA for the use of the backlight
560mA TX on LOW
1760mA TX on HIGH (as opposed to 1.6A specified in the manual) This is important because you are supplied with a 1600mAH battery so consider you have less than an hour total TX on high.

THE BAD
1. Perhaps I received a lemon.
The drop in charger did not work. Measured output was 4.6V; too little the charge the battery. I replaced the LM317T and it worked for couple seconds but then I dropped back down.
The answer is that the LM317T has been implemented without a heatsink (whoever did this should be shot). The regulator backs down the power to save itself. Removal of the regulator from the board and placing outside with a large heatsink solved the problem. (maybe thats why every other manufacturer uses a metal base as a heatsink instead of plastic) I'll do a separate detailed doc for this.
2. I've been seeing several horror stories with the radio becoming dead just trying to program with with the cable so I'll not be touching that cable. Ever.

BOTTOM LINE
Do I recommend it? Well...
For the US$69? - Sure
Despite the firmware bugs? - I guess
Is it a good first radio? - Definitely not.
Will I buy another? - Maybe when they update the firmware.
Do I recommend it? - Yes with a pinch of salt.

VA7VRV Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just cant resist trying some of these new low cost HT's from China. I have most of the more popular brands,Wouxun,Puxing,Fiedaxin,Baofeng,Yaesu,I-com,and now TYT. It seems that it just keeps getting better and cheaper! This TYT TH-F8 is a winner! this little HT does what my Yaesu and Icom HT's do at a fraction of the cost. $67.00 delivered! The TX modulation is clean and natural, unlike some of the other early models of some brands that sounded like you had a bucket over your head. In summery,Amazing!

KG4RND Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Nice for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took a chance and decided to buy one of these to see if they were any good. I'm no expert at this but I was impressed. It's not a Yaesu VX150 in that feeling of quality built but it's not far behind. I get excellent reports on both tx and rx audio. There is a little bit of a learning curve in programming but I've seen worse. Once you understand the programming you can do it pretty quickly. I felt that the radio deserved better than good for the price so I listed it as a five. Mine came with a drop in charger and earpiece for about 67.00 shipped. It arrived in about 3-4 weeks after ordering. If you are looking for an inexpensive two meter handheld give it a try. I think you will like it. Mine also includes a built in FM radio and it will decode ctcss tones i believe. Time will tell how long it will last but I'm enjoying mine for casual two meter use.