Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-737 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-737
ICOM IC-737 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1,795
Description: HF Transceiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic737/ic737.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-737.

KA7WZM Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2006 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Don't make them like this anymore  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Icom IC-737 gets a 10 0ut 0f 10 from me. Mine is one of the first that came off the shelfs of AES, and it has worked flawlessly. The screws in the cabinet have never been removed for any reason. It has a great receiver and have had many glowing audio reports. The built in tuner has done it's job, even Mobile with a 102" chicken band whip it tunes 10 thru 75/80 with no complaint at all and again, many glowing audio reports. And none of that - two fingers on two different buttons while standing on one foot then turning something with your nose. Just one hand and push one or two buttons and your done. Why don't they make them like this any more ? - CAUTION - It's not for the lazy, one finger has to key the mike. HI HI

N1GXC Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2006 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Shhhhh....Don't tell anyone.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Icom IC-737 has got to be one of the best kept secrets in used ham radio today. The radio has everything I need and nothing I dont. Now remember, my current radio is an IC-746 which I'm very happy with. The 737 has just as good receive, a better onboard antenna tuner and the same glowing audio reports. In a side by side comarison I really can't see any real difference between the two. These radios can be found in pristine condition for $250-400. I strongly reccommend using the SM-6 Icom cheapie desk mike. This is also a best kept secret. Together they add up to one terrific HF station at a very affordable price. If your thinking of picking one up, you must check out all the features. The only thing missing is VOX which is no big deal for me. It's a keeper!

73, Dan

W1SNE Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2006 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Great "Just Right" Radio...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was surprised and very pleased to find out you don't have to spend over $500.00 for a well equiped, great featured, awesome performing, used hf radio. Just the right amount of features you need for serious operating. No layered menus, just honest controls on a very handsome radio. In my opinion, features anything over and above this is just "fluff". What a pleasure to use. I recomend a cw filter and a nice, inexpensive SM-6 desk mic for a really complete hf experience. More than a backup rig, makes a great primary radio. That built-in antenna tuner is great. Don't waste your money on more "fluffy" radio's, this one is it, and as far as I'm concerned, will be my favorite overall hf radio of all. I like it better than my new 746PRO. That's why I'm telling you not to waste your money. Find one and buy it for under $500.00 and you too will be a very happy, care free, fun loving operator. Just a great radio. A pleasurable hf experience. (Does 60m with very easy diode cut, still tunes up & works great)*73*

HA5RXZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2006 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used as the HF rig in our club shack this rig has never failed. The only bad thing I have found in over 12 months is the performance of the internal speaker - a cheap external speaker cures this problem in ten seconds.

HA5RXZ

CU2IJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2005 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Wonderfull radio  Time owned: months
I have a IC-737, bought it new when I got my licence abt 10 years ago. It has beem working without a single fail since. I use it on cw with a 250Hz filter and it has a great receiver. Very quiet DDS VFO. Sensitive. Not many controls but all the important are there. Tunner is acceptable. IF notch end IF swift are effective.

Very happy it it.
73, Luis, CU2IJ

J73BT Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2003 22:10 Send this review to a friend
great rig....  Time owned: more than 12 months
wonderfull rig, prety sturdy too. Had mines for 4 years, puts out wonderfull audio if driven with a sm-20 desk mike by Icom. Just one draw back, i personaly don't like the large lcd display. but that does not take away from the performance of the rig... A+++

KB1AWV Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2002 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Very good rig after resolving problem early in its life.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 737 new about 7 years ago. It worked well at first and then the display went crazy. It would jump wherever it wanted to when I tried to change the frequency. I sent it to Icom & told them it had a bad optical encoder. They sent it back with the note "cannot duplicate problem" and indeed it worked when I got it back. 2 weeks later it was doing the same thing. I sent it back again. They replaced the encoder (I told them to not send it back until it broke and they fixed it). It has been fine since. The automatic antenna tuner and the keyer are great. Audio could be better; but, it is very dependable (now). Terrific display. The fan is impossible to hear. I use it on field day every year. I find that these rigs are way undervalued. It is a good investment. One caution: it is supposed to be a 100% duty cycle rig. Not always! Do not run FM at greater than 50% or it will shut down due to overheating after 15-20 minutes (at least mine did .. I had a pileup .. a bunch of hams on 2m were talking to me at my RI QTH through a 10m/2m repeater somewhere in Lousiana.)

KE1EH Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2002 23:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the radio new in March 1994, as birthday present to my self. The radio has given me great service with no problems. As the radio is almost seven years old I sent it back to Icom for service. I had them replace the lithium batterys along with the display lamps, also asked them to do any upgrades or mods available. The turn around time was very reasonable as was the cost. I've really enjoyed this radio and have no plans to buy a newer rig, it's a "keeper". The radio does everthing I need it to, the old saying-" if I can hear it- I can work it" applies here. I"m also using an outboard DSP unit(TW59+) so see no need for a new rig, it really is a great radio. if your looking for a HF rig and come across a IC737, don't be afraid to buy it. It doesn't have all the latest and greatest bells and whisles of the newer rigs, but its solid and does the job. You could do a lot worse

Rusty-KE1EH.

W7LW Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2001 00:37 Send this review to a friend
Good value for the money, especially in the used market today.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I listen to AM (SWLing) from time to time and find the Passband too narrow and restrictive in this mode. One can come out of the rear panel audio output,into an external amp., with improved audio, but still not good. The rig does well on ssb and cw and I get good audio reports. I have both cw filters and the rig is an excellent cw receiver. I've never tried FM, other than to listen on 10 meters once in a while; sounds ok there. If anyone knows of any mod to improve the audio (received) on AM, please e-mail me and advise. I've never had a mechanical or electrical problem with it in the 4 years I've owned it.

AA0FY Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2001 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 737 for 8 years. I bought one right after they came out, after studying the competition. This has been my primary rig in my shack, but have taken it out for many portable/mobile events. Over time I have really worked this rig hard, and all I can say, is I've never had a problem with it. The auto tuner is slick, I love the big display, and It's a joy to operate CW with! With the used price so low, If you find one get it!

73 DE AA0FY Pat