Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-737 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-737
ICOM IC-737 Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1,795
Description: HF Transceiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic737/ic737.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-737.

W1SNE Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2006 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Great "Just Right" Radio...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was surprised and very pleased to find out you don't have to spend over $500.00 for a well equiped, great featured, awesome performing, used hf radio. Just the right amount of features you need for serious operating. No layered menus, just honest controls on a very handsome radio. In my opinion, features anything over and above this is just "fluff". What a pleasure to use. I recomend a cw filter and a nice, inexpensive SM-6 desk mic for a really complete hf experience. More than a backup rig, makes a great primary radio. That built-in antenna tuner is great. Don't waste your money on more "fluffy" radio's, this one is it, and as far as I'm concerned, will be my favorite overall hf radio of all. I like it better than my new 746PRO. That's why I'm telling you not to waste your money. Find one and buy it for under $500.00 and you too will be a very happy, care free, fun loving operator. Just a great radio. A pleasurable hf experience. (Does 60m with very easy diode cut, still tunes up & works great)*73*

HA5RXZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2006 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used as the HF rig in our club shack this rig has never failed. The only bad thing I have found in over 12 months is the performance of the internal speaker - a cheap external speaker cures this problem in ten seconds.

HA5RXZ

CU2IJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2005 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Wonderfull radio  Time owned: months
I have a IC-737, bought it new when I got my licence abt 10 years ago. It has beem working without a single fail since. I use it on cw with a 250Hz filter and it has a great receiver. Very quiet DDS VFO. Sensitive. Not many controls but all the important are there. Tunner is acceptable. IF notch end IF swift are effective.

Very happy it it.
73, Luis, CU2IJ

J73BT Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2003 22:10 Send this review to a friend
great rig....  Time owned: more than 12 months
wonderfull rig, prety sturdy too. Had mines for 4 years, puts out wonderfull audio if driven with a sm-20 desk mike by Icom. Just one draw back, i personaly don't like the large lcd display. but that does not take away from the performance of the rig... A+++

KB1AWV Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2002 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Very good rig after resolving problem early in its life.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 737 new about 7 years ago. It worked well at first and then the display went crazy. It would jump wherever it wanted to when I tried to change the frequency. I sent it to Icom & told them it had a bad optical encoder. They sent it back with the note "cannot duplicate problem" and indeed it worked when I got it back. 2 weeks later it was doing the same thing. I sent it back again. They replaced the encoder (I told them to not send it back until it broke and they fixed it). It has been fine since. The automatic antenna tuner and the keyer are great. Audio could be better; but, it is very dependable (now). Terrific display. The fan is impossible to hear. I use it on field day every year. I find that these rigs are way undervalued. It is a good investment. One caution: it is supposed to be a 100% duty cycle rig. Not always! Do not run FM at greater than 50% or it will shut down due to overheating after 15-20 minutes (at least mine did .. I had a pileup .. a bunch of hams on 2m were talking to me at my RI QTH through a 10m/2m repeater somewhere in Lousiana.)

KE1EH Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2002 23:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the radio new in March 1994, as birthday present to my self. The radio has given me great service with no problems. As the radio is almost seven years old I sent it back to Icom for service. I had them replace the lithium batterys along with the display lamps, also asked them to do any upgrades or mods available. The turn around time was very reasonable as was the cost. I've really enjoyed this radio and have no plans to buy a newer rig, it's a "keeper". The radio does everthing I need it to, the old saying-" if I can hear it- I can work it" applies here. I"m also using an outboard DSP unit(TW59+) so see no need for a new rig, it really is a great radio. if your looking for a HF rig and come across a IC737, don't be afraid to buy it. It doesn't have all the latest and greatest bells and whisles of the newer rigs, but its solid and does the job. You could do a lot worse

Rusty-KE1EH.

W7LW Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2001 00:37 Send this review to a friend
Good value for the money, especially in the used market today.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I listen to AM (SWLing) from time to time and find the Passband too narrow and restrictive in this mode. One can come out of the rear panel audio output,into an external amp., with improved audio, but still not good. The rig does well on ssb and cw and I get good audio reports. I have both cw filters and the rig is an excellent cw receiver. I've never tried FM, other than to listen on 10 meters once in a while; sounds ok there. If anyone knows of any mod to improve the audio (received) on AM, please e-mail me and advise. I've never had a mechanical or electrical problem with it in the 4 years I've owned it.

AA0FY Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2001 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 737 for 8 years. I bought one right after they came out, after studying the competition. This has been my primary rig in my shack, but have taken it out for many portable/mobile events. Over time I have really worked this rig hard, and all I can say, is I've never had a problem with it. The auto tuner is slick, I love the big display, and It's a joy to operate CW with! With the used price so low, If you find one get it!

73 DE AA0FY Pat

KG4ODX Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2001 21:16 Send this review to a friend
737 nice rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own an Icom 737 and a 737A both radios have given me good service. The 737 is used for Army Mars work and after completing the Mars/Cap conversion the radio will not transmit on am or fm. CW and SSb are fine. The 737A is used for 10m and 12m. Both of these radios rate a 5 with me.
I also have 2 IC746 radio and one of them is at Icom now for repair. I hope that Icom fixes it right the first time.

BILLG Rating: 2/5 Oct 22, 2001 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Be careful  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
after 3 trips to Icom America, this rig still does not work right. Display locks up and reset does not correct the problem. Doesn't say much for the Icom repair service center.
documentation available to any one with a valid callsign. Just posting this to make anyone interested in this rig aware of potential problems.