Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Elecraft KX3 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft KX3
Elecraft KX3 Reviews: 127 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $ See Desciption
Description: Elecraft KX3 QRP Transceiver

Ultra-portable, all-band/all-mode high-performance transceiver for home, mobile, or field use.
* 160-6 meters (2 m with KX3-2M module)
* SSB/CW/DATA/AM/FM modes; 10 W+ PEP (100 W with KXPA100 amp)
* 1.7" x 3.5" x 7.4" (4.3 x 8.9 x 18.8 cm); only 1.5 pounds (0.7 kg)
* Current drain as low as 150 mA; internal battery (8 AA cells, any type)
* Advanced DSP provides dual watch, noise reduction, noise blanking, autonotch, stereo audio effects, audio peaking filter (APF)
* Software-defined radio (SDR) architecture plus optional roofing filters
* Operates in data modes (PSK31/RTTY) with or without a PC
* Includes RX I/Q sound-card outputs; works with PC RS232 or USB ports; free firmware upgrades
* Options: internal wide-range antenna tuner (KXAT3), interal NiMH battery charger (KXBC3), dual roofing filter module (KXFL3), attached high-performance keyer paddle (KXPD3), internal 2-meter module (KX3-2M), MH3 compact hand mic with UP/DN buttons, KXPA100/KXAT100 100-W amplifier and ATU

$999.95 factory assembled, $899.95 kit

More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KX3.

WD1V Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2015 03:36 Send this review to a friend
Elegant Design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is very special in so many ways. It has a feature/function set that isn't seen in any other radio at this price point - and - its RF receiver and transmit performance is up there on Mt. Everest. My TS-990s has been turned off since my KX3 arrived. My top "wows" are 1) size and weight 2) SDR (running free NAP3 in minutes) 3) Receiver with headphones is spectacular and not fatiguing. Love the spacious delay on SSB. 4) Craftsmanship - its like a piece of jewelry 5) User interface is intuitive 6) Get great reports on CW, SSB, and PSK-31. I've owned K2s and a K3 - very happy with them. KX3 is concentrated compressed engineering. I'm a very proud owner.

W3PAL Rating: 3/5 Mar 30, 2015 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad radio for it's size.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned this radio for about a month. It is a nice little radio considering it's size and many features. I use it primarily for portable operation with an End-Fed 10/20/40 dipole. My other QRP rig is a Yaesu FT-817D which I like a lot too.
KX3 has a lot of features not found in any other small QRP radios. I would give it a 3.5 on a scale of 0-5. It has a nice receiver but it's a bit too noisy when receiving weak signals. I also wish the KX3 had a better internal speaker or at least an audio output capable to drive an external speaker. The radio also has an MFJ-ish look and feel to it. I was also surprised to see the battery holders placed between the two control boards. It can be a recipe for a disaster if batteries leak as there is nothing to protect the boards from damage.
I like having a lot of nice features in the radio. An internal antenna tuner is fast and works very well. DSP works very well too.
The radio is definitely no match for my base FTDX3000D radio, especially when it comes to receiver performance and RX audio. The Yaesu is a lot quieter and handles weak signals a lot better, especially when listening a few kilohertz above or below to a strong signal. I don't really intend to use the KX3 as a base station though.
I added optional aftermarket SideKX side panels with handles and a lexan cover for the front face, purchased from GEMS Products. It gives it a better look and added protection.

W4RQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2015 07:37 Send this review to a friend
A different look  Time owned: more than 12 months
The weakest point of this radio is Audio. The radio is made for headphones, Dont skimp here,, get a good set and do this radio justice. I chose Bose over-the-ear and am glad I did. The KX-3 receiver will match any QRO rig out there, so get a good pair of stereo headphones. I also built a Hard Rock 50 Amp which works seamlessly with the KX-3 for those times when QRP is inappropriate, and for running Digital modes. I also use the Win4K3Suite software, Altogether this makes an awesome package for RTTY & PSK31 as well as CW and SSB.

VE3FLT Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2015 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality and performance!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Love Qrp and versatile portable operations. Also own a Elecraft K3 Yaseu FT 817, Ten Tec Argo V1.
The KX3 is a true delight to operate.
Elecraft is a model North American Company for Innovation, Customer Service, and Quality!

WA2TPU Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2015 11:42 Send this review to a friend
BEYOND WOW!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my KX3 for a couple years now. I previously stated herein this review forum that it was the BEST rig I had ever owned. Sincerely those are FACTS and has not changed. Now a update, the KX3's PERFORMANCE IS ABSOLUTELY BEYOND ANYTHING I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED. PERIOD!!And I've been a ham for many decades.MY KX3's TRULY SUPERB UNBELIEVABLE FILTERING IS SO FANTASTIC IT ALLOWED ME TO FIND OPEN SLOTS IN THE AWFUL NASTY TERRIBLE PILE-UPS OF THE K1NAVASSA DX-pedition. Don't believe me? I'm in their Logs on 3 different bands using SSB Qrp.

KJ4FGI Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2015 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic/Great Customer Service!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the KX3 because I wanted a QRP radio that I could travel with and self powered. I read a lot of reviews on other radios, I wanted an American made radio.

The reason I chose this radio: Reviews on Customer Service (which I have had interactions with and they are Outstanding! A++), Software upgradable and it does it automatically, General Receive straight thru 30Mhz, Self Powered, Auto Antenna Tuner, Dsp. I purchased the KX3 with ATU, Internal NiMH Charger / Real-Time Clock,Simple 49.380 MHz Signal Source, Roofing Filter, H3 Microphone, Heil Headset, Male-Female Right Angle BNC, "The Elecraft KX3" by Fred Cady.

I have to say, I'm very happy with the KX3 and especially customer service something that's disappointing with Japanese radios. It was expensive but you pay for what you get and the internal parts are American made which is better quality than foreign components, Much better.

I did wait a while before writing this review because I wanted to write a fair review. The image rejection is great, I was having a QSO and there was another station with an amp splashing on my conversation, the KX3 was able to block the noise out, wow, I'm impressed.

I've had a Kenwood TS-440sat, I still have an Icom 706MKIIG fully loaded and I had a TS-520, the KX3's filters are fantastic especially because you can adjust them.

I could keep writing but I think you know how I roll with this radio.
Listen, Buy American! My next radio will be the K3 after I buy the 100 linear amp for the KX3.

Again Customer service is the BEST and that's what we Hams like, SERVICE! Amen!

Eddie KJ4FGI

W1XV Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Many feataures per cubic inch  Time owned: more than 12 months
The KX3 is a bargain when one considers the number of features packed into 18.36 cubic inches!! This transceiver does it all. You can pick the options that you want. Elecraft service, should you need it, is second to none. The folks at the "factory" do listen to those who own their products and take any and all suggestions and complaints seriously.

It's an outstanding QRP rig that is perched at the top of the receiver spec charts even when compared to today's choices of QRO transceivers.

All of the great features of the KX3 have been previously touted so I'll leave my review short and sweet. I have worked the world with the KX3 and a 135 foot dipole.

Thanks Elecraft for another superb product!!

VE7HJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2014 19:40 Send this review to a friend
KX3 & Bob Nagy Mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love my KX3 which I have owned for 4-months or more. I did not order the Hand Mic from Elecraft. Instead I use a David Clark headset which has been modified by Bob Nagy who changed out the Element with one that he tested. Man what a big difference.
I can set the KX3 Mic gain at 12 and drive the ALC 6-7 bars. I don't run any compression.

Here is a link to his web page. http://www.7000mic.com/

Tell him James VE7HJ sent you.

AA1QG Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2014 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Near perfect radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the radio with the PX3 and KXPA100 as the main rig, with the Flexradios and the IC-7600 now in the closet. Love the quiet receiver and sharp filters. It is a pain to listen to the hiss in a non-DSP receiver after being spoiled by the KX3.

Now if they only could add SSB squelch, a more aggressive speech processor, the ability to define special CW characters and maybe even developing a more rugged and splash proof model..

KB3RUN Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2014 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired a used KX3 loaded with all the options except the 2M module. I have been totally impressed with its RX/TX capabilities.
I use it side-by-side with my FT-817ND and this radio is equally good. Some of the additional features I use are the PSK decode/RTTY modes.
It is an all-in-one radio and can easily be carried around on travels.
I now look forward to owning the KXPA-100 amplifier so that I can get rid of my IC-7000.

If you are considering this radio, you will not be disappointed.